Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential New Bike Café around Enniskerry

Options
  • 12-09-2016 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi guys, have been giving this some thought recently, and was thinking of setting up some sort of Bike Café, preferably in Enniskerry but maybe Kilternan/Glencullen or Stepaside.
    It would be a "cyclists café", so a perfect place to stop on the busy Enniskerry Road, which has become a cycling hub over the years.
    It would also provide a bike workshop for repairs, a place to top up water, a place to watch all the cycling you can handle and just general stuff like that.
    Would also look into bike rental and maybe a small shop.
    At the moment this is all in my head, don't even know where exactly I'd set it up and if it would be viable. To me it sounds like a great idea, and it's odd that's there's not already a facility like this in the area.
    It may be the worst idea ever, or it may be great, all I want to know is your opinion on it, could it work? Would you use it if it existed? All feedback welcomed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Have you seen this? I would imagine they may be thinking along the same lines as yourself.

Still, sounds like a great idea. Popped into the Rapha Cycle Club in Soho last week and it was great to be able to sit down with a coffee and watch some bike racing! It definitely struck me that a similar idea in Dublin/Wicklow would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

Thanks for that link! Looks awesome. Yeah I'd say if it could work anywhere it would be Enniskerry, it's such a hub of cycling nowadays. What sort of place is the Rapha Cycle Club? What sort of facilities etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I think Enniskerry is well serviced and also to close to the city. Maybe it's because im starting on the south side but I wouldn't dream of stopping in Enniskerry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

ted1 wrote: »
    I think Enniskerry is well serviced and also to close to the city. Maybe it's because im starting on the south side but I wouldn't dream of stopping in Enniskerry

I would actually disagree with this. I would have thought Enniskerry would be a better option, as a lot of routes from north and south would pass by here. That said, I agree that Enniskerry is well serviced, and the competition may be greater than you imagine, even with a USP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I would actually disagree with this. I would have thought Enniskerry would be a better option, as a lot of routes from north and south would pass by here. That said, I agree that Enniskerry is well serviced, and the competition may be greater than you imagine, even with a USP.

For a lot its very early in the ride (about 5km for me).

I'd suggest that a lot of time and effort is put in to researching this.

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »

Thanks for the feedback guys. What town would be ideal for most cyclists then? For me, although Enniskerry is early on in my cycles, I also come back through there aswell, that's why I thought it would be a good place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

godtabh wrote: »

It would be early for me too, but hey, a lot of routes loop.

Also, the second part - THIS! A million times this!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Without wishing to put a dampener on it, you'll need to ask yourself if it's viable especially if specifically aimed at cyclists. There won't be too many about on a wet Monday morning in January. I regularly stop at the hippy cafe in Laragh. Many consider it a busy spot for cyclists but they may only visit on a Saturday/Sunday. I'm often the only person there when I stop (bearing in mind that it is also a shop).

(BTW - Enniskerry is perfect for me - about 50k from home. :))

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'd imagine if you want to make a coffee shop work get yourself set up with a mobile coffee shop with good coffee/cakes and base yourself up in the wicklow hills. You'll get hikers/cyclists etc You could also setup the basic tools for cyclists in the back and let them work away as a goodwill gesture.

The fact you're mobile means you could roll with the seasons and perhaps cover cx races in winter.

Seems to work well for caffe banba in Donegal

10310117_686914084709587_2876569766095316908_n.jpg?oh=c025051703bbeff5321e801bf9129344&oe=58846DCE

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    ...Seems to work well for caffe banba in Donegal.....
    But that is situated at a very specific point (Malin Head) where many visit and a captive audience as such as motorists are required to park and walk up to the actual head. I doubt if it would work if motorists could drive by Malin Head without getting out of their vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I don't think there's anywhere in Ireland rents road bikes is there? So that's a gap in the market for sure.
    With regard to a bike specific cafe, the more the merrier. I'd be a regular enough at the Laragh stop cos it's kind of a natural half way point in my spin but I'm not so sure about Enniskerry. Once I'm within an hour of home my tendency is to pedal on and get home for my own coffee and bananas.

Without wishing to put a dampener on it, you'll need to ask yourself if it's viable especially if specifically aimed at cyclists. There won't be too many about on a wet Monday morning in January. I regularly stop at the hippy cafe in Laragh. Many consider it a busy spot for cyclists but they may only visit on a Saturday/Sunday. I'm often the only person there when I stop (bearing in mind that it is also a shop).

(BTW - Enniskerry is perfect for me - about 50k from home. :))
    Yeah that's absolutely true, that would be an issue. Weekends would work perfectly but during the week, especially winter, there may not be much traffic into the place. Could develop it as a tourist spot though, where they could rent bikes and use Enniskerry as a starting point for their cycles.

fat bloke wrote: »
    I don't think there's anywhere in Ireland rents road bikes is there? So that's a gap in the market for sure.
    With regard to a bike specific cafe, the more the merrier. I'd be a regular enough at the Laragh stop cos it's kind of a natural half way point in my spin but I'm not so sure about Enniskerry. Once I'm within an hour of home my tendency is to pedal on and get home for my own coffee and bananas.
    Yeah that's what I was thinking too, that was the main idea actually as there is a huge gap for actual proper road bike rental in Ireland. The café would just be the easy money maker (well not easy but perhaps easier than bike rental), it would be something to supplement income if you will. Just with the road bike rental, would you think people would go for it? Or prefer to stick with the mountain biking or dublinbikes in town? Or perhaps it could not just be aimed at tourists? Again tough to know but interesting to hear others views on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

But that is situated at a very specific point (Malin Head) where many visit and a captive audience as such as motorists are required to park and walk up to the actual head. I doubt if it would work if motorists could drive by Malin Head without getting out of their vehicles.

To be honest I'd imagine it's the cafe that keeps the afloat but I don't agree with your point either way. Plenty of places in wicklow that would allow a semi captive audience and I would imagine a larger footfall than Banbas crown has.

Also once you get your name out there there'd be potential for regular location/time etc allowing cyclists an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Thanks for that link! Looks awesome. Yeah I'd say if it could work anywhere it would be Enniskerry, it's such a hub of cycling nowadays. What sort of place is the Rapha Cycle Club? What sort of facilities etc..

The Rapha clubs tend to be in major cities, selling clothes, coffee and hosting events for the members of their worldwide cycling club.

Ronde in Edinburgh is a good example - one side is a bike shop (high end bikes/clothes), the other a cafe. They have a club attached and use the shop as a meeting point. It's in a residential area in the city. The food and coffee is excellent, so not all their customers are cyclists. Show road and cyclocross races throughout the year in the cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

I know the hippy cafe is there already but Laragh would strike me as possibly the most busy cycle hub in Ireland. It has Sally Gap, Wicklow Gap, Slieve Maan, etc all on the doorstep and it has the huge tourist draw of Glendalough right down the road. I suppose it wouldn't capture some of the city market though.
    On the northside, Howth is a huge draw for cyclists. It's crawling with us on summer evenings and weekends and again, there's a big tourist crowd to tap into. Also the town is missing a bike shop since the last one moved out and is curiously poorly served by cafes. Can't imagine you'd rent many road bikes out there though.

nak wrote: »
    The Rapha clubs tend to be in major cities, selling clothes, coffee and hosting events for the members of their worldwide cycling club.

Ronde in Edinburgh is a good example - one side is a bike shop (high end bikes/clothes), the other a cafe. They have a club attached and use the shop as a meeting point. It's in a residential area in the city. The food and coffee is excellent, so not all their customers are cyclists. Show road and cyclocross races throughout the year in the cafe.

Thanks for that example of the café/restaurant/shop in Edinburgh. That all sounds brilliant, but serves to emphasis just how important location is. Is that in the middle of the city, or in the suburbs like Enniskerry? Cheers for the reply.

I know the hippy cafe is there already but Laragh would strike me as possibly the most busy cycle hub in Ireland. It has Sally Gap, Wicklow Gap, Slieve Maan, etc all on the doorstep and it has the huge tourist draw of Glendalough right down the road. I suppose it wouldn't capture some of the city market though.
    On the northside, Howth is a huge draw for cyclists. It's crawling with us on summer evenings and weekends and again, there's a big tourist crowd to tap into. Also the town is missing a bike shop since the last one moved out and is curiously poorly served by cafes. Can't imagine you'd rent many road bikes out there though.

Yeah Laragh is a great spot but has the hippie café already.. maybe I could invest in that, it does have the perfect location.. Yeah also Howth is a great spot and is missing a bike shop and cafés, would also benefit from the new cycleway they're building from Eastlink to Sutton. Again location is really the hardest question.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Yeah that's what I was thinking too, that was the main idea actually as there is a huge gap for actual proper road bike rental in Ireland. The café would just be the easy money maker (well not easy but perhaps easier than bike rental), it would be something to supplement income if you will. Just with the road bike rental, would you think people would go for it? Or prefer to stick with the mountain biking or dublinbikes in town? Or perhaps it could not just be aimed at tourists? Again tough to know but interesting to hear others views on it.

They might not be willing to talk with you as they could view you as competition but I think it would be worth your while to see if some of the existing bike rental companies would be willing to tell you the reasons they don't rent out road bikes (if indeed that is the case, I've no idea).

From a very outside pov it strikes me as something that could be quite costly to get going (different sizes, spec of bike etc). Its possibly one of those gaps that exists for a good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

What is the name of the cafe in Laragh, that a couple of people have mentioned? Is it The Hippie Cafe? or is it a place, where hipsters go?. Serious question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I guess a trick might be to have a large car park and set yourself up as start and finish spot.
    I've traveled the world alot kitesurfing and while we can kite on any beach we usually pick a place that has a good hub.

There's a few places towards the top of the long hill grim Kilmacanogoue to roundstone that could accomodate such set up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Eamonnator wrote: »
    What is the name of the cafe in Laragh, that a couple of people have mentioned? Is it The Hippie Cafe? or is it a place, where hipsters go?. Serious question.

Glendalough Green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

Cycled through Laragh hundreds of times never really looked around where is the cafe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jerome77

Having tried something similar, yes it sounds romantic, let me tell you, there is nothing but headache after headache from the wicklow HSE. They are so anti business , steer clear..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Thanks for the feedback guys. What town would be ideal for most cyclists then? For me, although Enniskerry is early on in my cycles, I also come back through there aswell, that's why I thought it would be a good place.

I agree. I only live in Shankill but would definitely stop on the way home in Enniskerry if there was a place that served really good coffee and was biker friendly. While there are a number of cafes in Enniskerry there's only one that serves decent coffee!

johnruns wrote: »
    Cycled through Laragh hundreds of times never really looked around where is the cafe?
    It's at the top of the green in that little triangular area where several roads come together. If you're coming into Laragh via Glenmacnass, it's just on your left as you enter the village. If coming from the Roundwood direction, it's on your right.

Jerome77 wrote: »
    Having tried something similar, yes it sounds romantic, let me tell you, there is nothing but headache after headache from the wicklow HSE. They are so anti business , steer clear..

Hi Jerome, do you mind me asking what it is you set up, and how the Wicklow HSE caused you so much trouble?

C3PO wrote: »
    While there are a number of cafes in Enniskerry there's only one that serves decent coffee!
    Which café is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭AlreadyHome

I always pop into Look Mum No Hands when I'm in London - much prefer it to the pricey/elitist Rapha vibe. Plenty of people in there who (on the surface) don't seem to be cyclists. Big crowds when they have a grand tour on the projector, great food, repair shop etc.

Wonder if perhaps what might work best would be to work in partnership with the likes of the hippie cafe displaying tour stages, bike rentals, on-the-go repairs, selling bike lights/spare tubes/tyres etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Thanks for that example of the café/restaurant/shop in Edinburgh. That all sounds brilliant, but serves to emphasis just how important location is. Is that in the middle of the city, or in the suburbs like Enniskerry? Cheers for the reply.

It's in Stockbridge which is a pretty affluent area, maybe a mile from Princess Street. Mainly flats around there with artisan bakers, cafes, organic food shops etc. Mainly people in 30s and 40s, young families. Can't really compare it to Dublin as there are no areas in the city like that.

Advertisement