Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential New Bike Café around Enniskerry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Stephen in CyclePlus in Greystones has a sign in the window saying bike rental available, but I don't actually know what he rents or if there's much demand.

If it weren't for the fact there's already a coffeeshop to people ratio of 1:1 there*, I'd recommend it as the ideal spot as there's a café culture already and it's a very popular stop for cyclists doing a roll along the coast in either direction, particularly the Happy Pear.

How about somewhere else like Ashford or even Roundwood, which seems to be a starting point for a lot of people who park and ride from there into Sally Gap...?

*slight exaggeration

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Coffee stops in Enniskerry are a bit poor IMO, despite the excellent location. There are three places with different permutations of bad food, bad coffee and insufficient seating.

How about a pop-up coffee van that is in a different location each weekend?

It could be a marketing thing to move the van around with a couple of days notice posted on Facebook. Then people could plan their spins around it.

The viewing point car park would be a good location for a van although possible risk of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Thud

These all say they do rental, might be worth giving them a shout:
    http://www.2wheels.ie/section/Bike_Rental
    http://www.belfieldbikeshop.com/rental-bikes.html
    http://www.cycleways.com/store/content/342/Bicycle-Rentals/

Unless you're mobile you probably need a village location to get some walk in customers.
    Enniskerry looks the best option, possibly Blessington,
    Luggala/Ballinastoe is popular route to from the sally gap, gets a lot of tourist buses/cars stopping, has hiking routes and MTB trails nearby
    http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#11/-6.31851/53.15974/gray/bike

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Without wishing to put a dampener on it, you'll need to ask yourself if it's viable especially if specifically aimed at cyclists. There won't be too many about on a wet Monday morning in January. I regularly stop at the hippy cafe in Laragh. Many consider it a busy spot for cyclists but they may only visit on a Saturday/Sunday. I'm often the only person there when I stop (bearing in mind that it is also a shop).

(BTW - Enniskerry is perfect for me - about 50k from home. :))

I was chatting to them in Glendalough Green on saturday. Just chit-chat about how business was, etc. They said that they rely heavily on the summer to get them through the whole year. And even at that, it tends only to be the sunny days that brings the crowds.

They're good to cyclists because they know we can arrive in big numbers, and tend not to stay too long. As opposed to, say, walkers, who park their cars for hours on end, then might or might not get a coffee and a sandwich at the end of the day.

I do remember talking to them before just as one of our bad winters ended. The Roundwood - Laragh road had been iced over for a couple of weeks and there was only local traffic coming in. They were decimated that winter.

And, when AA Roadwatch post their 'advisory' about people avoiding Sally Gap (which they seem to do every winter, regardless of whether its actually passable or not), that impacts them too. I got onto AA Roadwatch about this, and asked them if they could be a bit more discerning about when they posted the advisory (I had been up there this particular day and there were no issues with the road at that time).

In relation to this thread though, a genuine question for people.

How often would you need to go to a bike shop when you are out cycling? And even when you do, how often would it be for something more than just a tube, or something else relatively cheap and minor?

I couldn't see a bike shop on a common route in Wicklow being a place where people would tend to go for anything much more than the above.

Someone else mentioned Look Mum, No Hands. Surely that is the model to follow, and the prime location would be in a built-up area like town, or on its outskirts. I think it needs to be in a populated area where you can enjoy passing trade (or the benefit of the bike-to-work scheme).

And on bike rental - the problem with that is you would surely need to base a service like that where people come to stay? So, while wicklow is popular for cyclists, there aren't really many areas that have a heavy concentration of hotels or other places tourists/vistors come to stay.

I think your idea is a nice one, and its something I'd defintely make use of at least once a week. I don't think a fiver from me once or twice a week is going to sustain a business though.

I'd suggest reading Emily Chappell's book, What Goes Round. She was a cycle courier and large parts of the book are based around a cafe/bike-shop that she and other cyclists used to hang around in. It might give a little insight to how things are, even in a busy area like London.

Best of luck either way

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The parish hall or school hall could be an option, you only need it at weekends .

There are sevral play cafes that use rugby clubs in the mornings midweek and that works well.

http://www.pandaplaycafe.com/about-us

https://m.facebook.com/BuzzBeezPlayCafe/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I don't know about anyone else, but since Cyclesuperstore opened their cafe I have been in the shop a lot more often, and have purchased cycling stuff as well as coffee/food. So it's definitely a honey pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Which café is that?

Kennedys!

Also worth noting that a lot of mountain bikers also pass through Enniskerry on the way to Djouce, Ballinastoe etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The thing to remember when considering setting up a business reliant on cyclists is that, by and large, they're tight moany bastards. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

Lumen wrote: »
    The thing to remember when considering setting up a business reliant on cyclists is that, by and large, they're tight moany bastards. :pac:
    Yeah but they really do like their coffee!

I always pop into Look Mum No Hands when I'm in London - much prefer it to the pricey/elitist Rapha vibe. Plenty of people in there who (on the surface) don't seem to be cyclists. Big crowds when they have a grand tour on the projector, great food, repair shop etc.

Wonder if perhaps what might work best would be to work in partnership with the likes of the hippie cafe displaying tour stages, bike rentals, on-the-go repairs, selling bike lights/spare tubes/tyres etc
    Would a place like that work better in the city or in it's suburbs? I suppose just from a general point of view, the city centre would either be the start or the end of most people's cycles, so it may not be as popular.

• Advertisement

Eponymous wrote: »
    Stephen in CyclePlus in Greystones has a sign in the window saying bike rental available, but I don't actually know what he rents or if there's much demand.

If it weren't for the fact there's already a coffeeshop to people ratio of 1:1 there*, I'd recommend it as the ideal spot as there's a café culture already and it's a very popular stop for cyclists doing a roll along the coast in either direction, particularly the Happy Pear.

How about somewhere else like Ashford or even Roundwood, which seems to be a starting point for a lot of people who park and ride from there into Sally Gap...?

*slight exaggeration
    I was also thinking Roundwood but seems to be a town people cycle through to get to Laragh more than anything else, from a cycling prospective anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Would a place like that work better in the city or in it's suburbs? I suppose just from a general point of view, the city centre would either be the start or the end of most people's cycles, so it may not be as popular.

LMNH is on what is akin to a cycling highway in and out of London where it is situated in Shoreditch..Very busy spot.

Some craic just sitting there at rush hour seeing the bling roll by.

It could be a marketing thing to move the van around with a couple of days notice posted on Facebook. Then people could plan their spins around it.

That is sounding like the better idea to be honest. It would be a cool thing, cyclists could plan their spins on it and it could be set up in popular areas for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

That is sounding like the better idea to be honest. It would be a cool thing, cyclists could plan their spins on it and it could be set up in popular areas for cyclists.

Hmm ... I would look carefully at licensing from Wicklow CC before investing! I'm not sure how cooperative they would be! You would also be completely weather dependent- nobody is going to stop and drink coffee on the side of the road in the rain or on a very cold day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I would have thought laragh would be a better spot given the amount of cyclists who pass through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I remember a Scottish mountain biker, named Emma Guy, and her partner started a business, something like this. They converted a double decker bus into a coffee shop. They travelled around to races all over England and Scotland.
    I don't know, if they're still in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

1bryan wrote: »
    I was chatting to them in Glendalough Green on saturday. Just chit-chat about how business was, etc.....

......They're good to cyclists because they know we can arrive in big numbers, and tend not to stay too long......
    That's debatable!

Service is fine when it's busy but call in there on a weekday morning in winter and they very much give the impression that you're a nuisance for darkening their door.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'good to cyclists' - small overpriced cake portions served on a paper plate. Maybe it the availability of a track pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Larragh and Enniskerry are a great location in theory but to buy property would cost a relative fortune in either id say, compared to the turn over youd get on weekends sunny summer evenings.

Someone mentioned a mobile option and I think thats the best one. Plenty of MTB clubs have week night spins in Dublin then at weekends you'd be able to pitch up in any of the busy routes.

Speak to some of the mobile coffee guys who work week day food markets in town about the kind of regulations they have to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

A pop-up in different places to test out the market is a great idea.

What about Glenasmole, in the hope that the funding will be returned for the Mountains-to-the-Sea cycleway from Glenasmole through to Ringsend/Sandymount along the Dodder? It's in Co Dublin, so you don't have to deal with Wicklow CoCo and their preciousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

That's debatable!

Service is fine when it's busy but call in there on a weekday morning in winter and they very much give the impression that you're a nuisance for darkening their door.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'good to cyclists' - small overpriced cake portions served on a paper plate. Maybe it the availability of a track pump.

well for one, they don't have a sign up that says 'No Cyclists', unlike some one-time popular-with-cyclists, coffee stop in Ballyboughal.

I mean they're friendly, polite, courteous. They have a track pump available, don't mind you using the bathroom if needs be, they sell some cycling provisions (energy bars, etc), they have installed bike racks, and generally don't mind us taking up pretty much every outdoor table and chair, come summertime.

And your experience of going there of a midweek morning is not what I've experienced going there of a midweek morning.

Generally cyclists seem to converge here. That has to be for a reason. Theres a place up the road towards Glendalough (on the left), where bikers seem to congregate, again, probably for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I remember a Scottish mountain biker, named Emma Guy, and her partner started a business, something like this. They converted a double decker bus into a coffee shop. They travelled around to races all over England and Scotland.
    I don't know, if they're still in business.

They owned the cafe in Glentress for ever 10 years. Was very popular, lost out on renewal, given to a bigger company and now it's terrible. There was a campaign to keep them in business, but sadly didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I was also thinking Roundwood but seems to be a town people cycle through to get to Laragh more than anything else, from a cycling prospective anyway
    The cafe in roundwood does a good business with cyclists at the weekend from what I see.

Someone did try a hike and bike coffee shop in the old supermarket by the campsite, but it only lasted the season as far as I recall (might be a reasonable option for a start up?) and I think it was weekends only.

From what I see, most places in Roundwood are reliant on weekend, particular Sunday, trade to really keep going, plus maybe peak summer season. Wouldn't be convinced there's enough for year round cyclist custom only to be honest.

Too close to home for me, and enniskerry only tends to be on my commute route. Despite the queues sometimes being a but irritating, Mount Usher/ Avoca seems to have a set up that would be hard to rival in Ashford tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I stop at various city centre cafes after weekend spins and NEVER see any other roadies. It doesn't seem to be the done thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I stop at various city centre cafes after weekend spins and NEVER see any other roadies. It doesn't seem to be the done thing.

Two issues, 1 your bike would be stolen in the city centre, 2 it's bad enough going to work in my Lycra but to sit in cafe in town is a step to far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

ted1 wrote: »
    Two issues, 1 your bike would be stolen in the city centre, 2 it's bad enough going to work in my Lycra but to sit in cafe in town is a step to far :)

Plenty of places with outdoor seating and table service.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

That's debatable!

Yeah, I've generally felt that they put up with cyclists rather than are good to us. Still doesn't stop me using it though.
    Access to a jacks, water and that knackerdy auld track pump is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

Lumen wrote: »

Don't forget Fussy, just look at the colour coordination that goes on :)

Guilty as charged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

That's debatable!

I do find them a bit overpriced but the food is good and the view/location on a nice day can't be beaten. The staff are a bit snobby but the owner has always been polite to me and gave me a free coffee when doing the evil 2015, since it was my 3rd time stopping

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The cafe in roundwood does a good business with cyclists at the weekend from what I see.

Someone did try a hike and bike coffee shop in the old supermarket by the campsite, but it only lasted the season as far as I recall (might be a reasonable option for a start up?) and I think it was weekends only.

From what I see, most places in Roundwood are reliant on weekend, particular Sunday, trade to really keep going, plus maybe peak summer season. Wouldn't be convinced there's enough for year round cyclist custom only to be honest.

Too close to home for me, and enniskerry only tends to be on my commute route. Despite the queues sometimes being a but irritating, Mount Usher/ Avoca seems to have a set up that would be hard to rival in Ashford tbh.
    Can you see something like the thing in Roundwood doing well in Enniskerry? Or is Enniskerry just too close to Dublin?

• Advertisement

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Larragh and Enniskerry are a great location in theory but to buy property would cost a relative fortune in either id say, compared to the turn over youd get on weekends sunny summer evenings.

Someone mentioned a mobile option and I think thats the best one. Plenty of MTB clubs have week night spins in Dublin then at weekends you'd be able to pitch up in any of the busy routes.

Speak to some of the mobile coffee guys who work week day food markets in town about the kind of regulations they have to deal with.
    For your first point, yeah property is expensive, especially in Enniskerry but there's always the option to rent, it would be very unlikely I'd be buying a place. But I suppose even renting would be steep.
    For you second point, yeah the mobile option is looking increasingly viable, but you'd wonder what sort of permissions you need to deal with. It would be interesting asking the mobile coffee guys.

Advertisement