Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with old photos

• 12-09-2016 9:29pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I know all these photos (apart from the top left one) are of a particular ancestor (now dead, though she lived to be 104!).

I would be about 98% sure, given where we found the photo and the other people in it, that the top left photo is of the same woman in younger years.
    Can anyone see anything to definitely rule this out?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm not totally convinced but it's hard to tell because of the glasses. The mouth looks similar in 2 photos but the jaw is wider in all the confirmed photos.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I suggest that the hair parting is a clue - partings tend to be natural, follow a natural growth pattern and do not change. The parting in the top left photo is quite different to the others. Also, even with an allowance for age, the jawline of the younger woman is quite different to the others IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

The woman on the top left appears to have a lazy eye, not evident in the other photos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I think it's the same woman.

My hair parting has changed over the years - so I wouldn't think that's relevant. The photo could have been reversed.

Faces get broader and lose definition with age - also, faces look broader when smiling. The nose shape looks the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

MY hair-parting now covers the entire top of my head, but I'm recognisably the same person in a photograph taken sixty years ago.

This kind of thing fascinates me from a professional point of view, so I've undertaken a photogrammatic examination of all the images, based on my forty-two years experience as an imagery analyst.

For free.

It is my opinion, that all but one of the images show the same lady, at varying times in her long life, but based on a set of proportional comparative measurements, the image in the top left corner is NOT the same person,

tac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks all for your help. She will have to remain a mystery, though what she is doing in a photo with the mother of the older woman I don't know. I can see the point each of you makes for and against it being her. I suspect if I could get a clearer shot of her ear it would help.

Part of the problem is that although she lived a very long time, nobody is left alive that knew her when she was young. I will have to wait and see do any other photos turn up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

The problem with the photos is that the mystery one is of a young girl, whereas with the exception of a photo of a woman who looks like she's in her 40s, the other photos show an elderly woman. A few intermediate photos as she aged would help.

Advertisement