Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should I look for

Options
  • 12-09-2016 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am just about to start a new job and there will be alot of travel. What would be normal here; vouched expenses & per diem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

It depends completely on the company. I think your best bet is to ask. In my last job there was a lot of international travel so a corporate card was provided where my current job has a lot less so it's vouched expenses. Very few places do a per diem allowance (unless it's a maximum spend per day) as they don't want employees to make a profit on expenses.

Also if you're booking flights without a corporate card, ask is there a mechanism for a secretary or PA who books these to help ease the pressure on your own personal finances.

It should say it in your contract though so check that first and if not there just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It should say it in your contract though so check that first and if not there just ask.

Specific amounts for travel won't necessarily be stated in the contract from my experience.

I've worked for 2 companies and they've had set guidelines for these things. If you're driving you get €X per km. If you're on an overnight somewhere you get €Y per night. The company should have all this laid out in an expenses policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Might be able to claim subsistance.

Specific amounts for travel won't necessarily be stated in the contract from my experience.

I've worked for 2 companies and they've had set guidelines for these things. If you're driving you get €X per km. If you're on an overnight somewhere you get €Y per night. The company should have all this laid out in an expenses policy.

I more meant that the vouched versus per diem might be noted. One of my previous jobs stated in the contract that the expenses were per diem and that the amount was as per the most recent expense policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Depends on the company. Last job it was per diem and expenses.

Current company its a bit weird. No per diem and your expected to pay everything and expense it after, hotels included. I havn't travelled with my current job yet, but I probably havn't been asked as they know my feelings on the setup being a joke.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    Depends on the company. Last job it was per diem and expenses.

Current company its a bit weird. No per diem and your expected to pay everything and expense it after, hotels included. I havn't travelled with my current job yet, but I probably havn't been asked as they know my feelings on the setup being a joke.

I don't think that's a bit weird at all or a joke. I have vouched expenses for everything except flights (which can be booked by PA). Refunded within 2 days of submission straight to bank account. It is set up in my place though that if you want to submit expenses more than once a month because of large amounts of travel, you can.

In some ways it makes more sense so employees can't make money off a per diem and makes employees act more responsible with booking as they can't just rely on a corporate card.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

I don't think that's a bit weird at all or a joke. I have vouched expenses for everything except flights (which can be booked by PA). Refunded within 2 days of submission straight to bank account. It is set up in my place though that if you want to submit expenses more than once a month because of large amounts of travel, you can.

In some ways it makes more sense so employees can't make money off a per diem and makes employees act more responsible with booking as they can't just rely on a corporate card.

I work for a large multinational and that's how it works here too. Flights are booked via an internal system, everything else needs to be paid (with a corporate credit card linked to my bank account) and claimed back through expenses.

Advertisement