Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Werewolf discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Drumpot wrote: »
    I would be game for that

Well I've put myself down for 17, Tigger and possibly Uriel helping out with that now. But if you have a look at the chart and what's coming up free I can give you a hand backstage if you want to run with your idea after that? If that suits cos I'd let you have free reign then but with help for the nuts and bolts...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Necrominus wrote: »
    Well I've put myself down for 17, Tigger and possibly Uriel helping out with that now. But if you have a look at the chart and what's coming up free I can give you a hand backstage if you want to run with your idea after that? If that suits cos I'd let you have free reign then but with help for the nuts and bolts...

Thanks for that . .Where do we put our name down for Mod?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Drumpot wrote: »
    Thanks for that . .Where do we put our name down for Mod?

Game Mod Queue Thread here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057666523
    :):)

So are we all off to Malta in the morning for a Parrrrrrtyyyy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭WerewolfGM

So are we all off to Malta in the morning for a Parrrrrrtyyyy?

I am so game for that.
    Well, mahama is anyways, even if she's too lazy to sign into her account! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

I am hitting the beach tomorrow after 2.00 so meet ya down there girls ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Edit: oops wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Whew, nice to be back in my own account!

Interesting game, I got nothing done though all week and I'm sure Cross was the same. I think I always had respect for the game mods, but that has increase 100 fold now that I've seen how much work it is. Kudos, especially to people who modded multiple games!

All rooms are open including the mod rooms. I know there's probo lots to discuss, but here's a few initial thoughts I had. Some of this was already mentioned in the deadroom, but putting here again for clarity.

30 players is too much for one game. The kill rate has to be very high or else you'll have it dragging out too long. Makes it difficult on the town. I'd recommend maybe limiting to 20 or 25 in future, and having a good few subs.

Low-shows (where a player is there, but barely engages with the game) is much worse than no-shows. Granted, we should have picked up on it quicker, but it's a difficult one to defend against and if they pull an important role it can seriously unbalance the game. I know in this instance it was slightly lousy to kill Nopeare after 2 missed votes on a speed day, but lack of input in previous days kind of made that decision for us. Actually, we probably should have contacted Nopeare earlier and maybe subbed him out, but hindsight is 20/20.

Rules are so damn important. I thought we looked at them enough, but we didn't. 2 of us looked over the rules, plus Molly did and I got the bf to look them over, and there's still loads we missed. Some were things we thought were implied but which needed to be mentioned explicitly (e.g. SK gets final kill if lynched, or you can't vote for yourself, Nelson plays as "indifferent" for rule 11), and some were just scenarios we didn't foresee (like who wins if it gets down to 1 v 1 v 1 - wolf v wolf v villager and both wolves munch the villager.) No idea how to get around it in future, but maybe have the rules up a day early for people to review and ask questions? Or run it past more experienced people.

Some of the mechanics worked, some didn't. I love how the limited reveal worked. The village isn't left completely in the dark, but there's still a possibility for fake claims and confusion. It also means that if the priest is killed off early, the village isn't screwed. The judge came from a good place, but was perhaps too limited to really be useful. I also loved how villagers found a way to use those mechanics - I loved the village lynching QB so Herman lost his shot, didn't see that one coming.

I loved the spoiler free dead room, even if it means that me and Cross had to have a seperate game commentary thread in our forum. It kept it interesting to see the theories back there.

The 30 characters thing came from a good place. We wanted everyone to feel involved. It worked to an extent, but if you go that route you can't include all 30 characters in the OP. Lesson learned! Once a few died off it allowed for false claims and some breathing room, but initially I was convinced that the reveal idea was going to ruin the game. Would love to hear if having a character meant vanillagers felt a little more involved.

As a mod here, you're a little in the dark and helpless. Sulli was amazing, (thanks again for everything), but it's a little limiting not being able to see if users edited posts, not being able to delete posts and not being able to open/close threads etc. I completely understand the reasons, but the difference in control out here and in the backroom is amazing and I didn't appreciate it before. In saying that, I'm still glad we had the game on Boards. The views had been great on the game thread, and hopefully it'll draw some new blood.

I know some people will feel a little hard done by by some of the decisions, but we did what we thought was best. For better or worse it was a learning experience. Despite what some may think, I still think it was balanced ok. Happy to hear feedback on that though. I know the village had an insane amount of good lynches, but there were some unfortunate village deaths early and the handful of modkills all affected the village. Still though, down to that last lynch, the village had a chance.

Thanks to everyone that played and stuck with us. We may not have done everything right, but you guys were amazing and you blew us away with how much you gave to the game. :) Finally my biggest thanks to Cross. If anyone reads through the mod room you'll see I was an emotional rollercoaster while Cross was always the voice of reason. He was an amazing co-mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Awesome plays
    Highlights for me
    Italian mafia that was amazing and how raze carried it off was sepecatular
    A neurotic your iding Loughc as lemmy and then claiming him was genius

And the modulators were amazing and keeping it all rolling
    Now as I've said inother places I would like for someone to replace me in the international mafia game so if you want it slick your name down in the thread
    Raze right now I'm looking at you

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Tigger wrote: »
    Awesome plays
    Highlights for me
    Italian mafia that was amazing and how raze carried it off was sepecatular
    A neurotic your iding Loughc as lemmy and then claiming him was genius

And the modulators were amazing and keeping it all rolling
    Now as I've said inother places I would like for someone to replace me in the international mafia game so if you want it slick your name down in the thread
    Raze right now I'm looking at you

As you suggested in the DR< I think you should give "Tigger" one last outing in the international game, and then retire him. By all means, come back under a different name to play here again, and I see you're interested in modding too, which is great as it means we won't lose you entirely.

• Advertisement

Well my main Gripe is a big one and I found it an absolutele disgracefull, Im very dissapointed with both mods over it. I didnt get a gun and I really wanted one :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

quickbeam wrote: »
    As you suggested in the DR< I think you should give "Tigger" one last outing in the international game, and then retire him. By all means, come back under a different name to play here again, and I see you're interested in modding too, which is great as it means we won't lose you entirely.

im gonna assist modding not mod players won't even know I'm there
    Except for twenty I'll do something interesting for twenty I think

Don't wanna do the other thing
    I think it's like a prize fighter you can't announce your retirement after the next game you have to do it now

Well my main Gripe is a big one and I found it an absolutele disgracefull, Im very dissapointed with both mods over it. I didnt get a gun and I really wanted one :(

Mick, no-one would trust you with a gun!
    Although when the randomisation was being done, I have to say I did have my fingers crossed for you! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'll do my best to get you a gun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭andy125

So, what's the story with those anonymous accounts for boards games...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

andy125 wrote: »

I'll bring it up with admin. RL has been chaotic this week.

I think it's a good idea, but something that Sulli would have to bring up in the mod room I imagine? WerewolfGM is a great example of how well it could work. That said, is it better doing a mix of named games here and anon games in the back forum? Mick made some great points about losing the feeling of community is all games are anon.

sullivlo wrote: »

Thanks, your a star

I think it's a good idea, but something that Sulli would have to bring up in the mod room I imagine? WerewolfGM is a great example of how well it could work. That said, is it better doing a mix of named games here and anon games in the back forum? Mick made some great points about losing the feeling of community is all games are anon.

I agree named games have there place and are important for community spirit but just having the option at game mods disposal to have anon game here rather than in the backroom is a mjaor dynamic to add to our community

Plus it keeps the traffic here and the potential enlistees available for all to see

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Yeah, I agreed with everything Mick said in the DR. I personally like that we know each other here, even with all the baggage that that brings. The baggage can be a disadvantage when playing a game, but on the whole, "knowing" each other adds more than it takes away.

That being said, having a mix of games under our Boards' name and under generic names would work too.

• Advertisement

I agree named games have there place and are important for community spirit but just having the option at game mods disposal to have anon game here rather than in the backroom is a mjaor dynamic to add to our community

Plus it keeps the traffic here and the potential enlistees available for all to see
    Yeah, not disagreeing with you at all Andy. I mean, I'm not one of the posters good enough to be affected by meta, but I can see where you're coming from. I was all for having the game on boards for traffic reasons and also for ease of access. Anon accounts here would be ideal, but I just wanted to point out that having some named games is still fun. :)
    Yeah, I agreed with everything Mick said in the DR. I personally like that we know each other here, even with all the baggage that that brings. The baggage can be a disadvantage when playing a game, but on the whole, "knowing" each other adds more than it takes away.

That being said, having a mix of games under our Boards' name and under generic names would work too.
    Yeah I agree. It's fun knowing people and I think it forces people to up their game a little by changing their meta (or attempting to at least). A mix is the best way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

What is this international game I see mentioned a few times?

What is this international game I see mentioned a few times?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057727318

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

All I'll say for now is that it was an insane week. Absolutely nothing else done. No work, nothing

There were some twists and turns an urgent sh?t but we stuck with it so the players could play.

Apologies for any unforeseen stuff but it caught us as much as it caught everyone else.

A massive, massive shout out to mahama. She's a top co mod. There is no way I could have even half done it without her.

I'm on the Guinness now as I'm sick of that Duff stuff.

Kudos, mahama.

My personal preference is for long games to be named and live games to be anon.

I suppose I should change my sig now.

EDIT: Done :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

sullivlo wrote: »

To quote a famous fisherman:

They're putting my idea on file in a filing cabinet.

:)

(Have asked admin. They will discuss amongst themselves and the owners and get back to us shortly.)

For me it's too much hassle. Accounts would need to be cleared down each time. What happens the old games then? The posts all get attributed to unregistered accounts?

For me just play here as normal and the odd anon game play on the other place if Max is OK with that.

And on that, max is hosting that for free on his personal server. That might not last for ever.

Jayop wrote: »
    max is hosting that for free on his personal server. That might not last for ever.

As you mention it, I think there should be a massive thanks to Max for letting us use his place. It contributes enormously to the game. Without the backroom we'd be at a serious loss.

Although he scared the crap out of me with that unannounced theme change :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Jayop wrote: »
    For me it's too much hassle. Accounts would need to be cleared down each time. What happens the old games then? The posts all get attributed to unregistered accounts?

For me just play here as normal and the odd anon game play on the other place if Max is OK with that.

And on that, max is hosting that for free on his personal server. That might not last for ever.

So this is probably a stupid question but what do you mean by cleared down? Would they not be essentially dummy accounts so all that would need to happen is a password switch?

Advertisement