Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Werewolf discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Without doubt if we were still using the crappy quick chat things I had to begin with the game might never have taken off. Max is a WW legend despite barely playing any more.

EMF2010 wrote: »
    So this is probably a stupid question but what do you mean by cleared down? Would they not be essentially dummy accounts so all that would need to happen is a password switch?

Clear down old pms old posts, old wall posts, new password etc.

What if someone breaks boards rules with one, what account is punished? The dummy or their real account.

If I was modding a game I'd want to rename them too so they're not associated with previous games subconsciously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Jayop wrote: »
    Clear down old pms old posts, old wall posts, new password etc.

What if someone breaks boards rules with one, what account is punished? The dummy or their real account.

If I was modding a game I'd want to rename them too so they're not associated with previous games subconsciously.

^all something to be discussed if anything happens with it. All hypothetical currently!

Too much hassle for me personally but I wouldn't be doing any of the work so up to yourselves.

Loads of mods playing now regularly Surely some of them can help you out with modding the forum. (again none of my business)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Without doubt if we were still using the crappy quick chat things I had to begin with the game might never have taken off. Max is a WW legend despite barely playing any more.
    He posted in the forum the other day, he'll come back shortly but currently busy with RL stuff, just got engaged and bought a house etc.
    sullivlo wrote: »
    To quote a famous fisherman:

They're putting my idea on file in a filing cabinet.

:)

(Have asked admin. They will discuss amongst themselves and the owners and get back to us shortly.)
    Brill, thanks Sulli. Agreed there's a lot to consider.
    For me it's too much hassle. Accounts would need to be cleared down each time. What happens the old games then? The posts all get attributed to unregistered accounts?

For me just play here as normal and the odd anon game play on the other place if Max is OK with that.

And on that, max is hosting that for free on his personal server. That might not last for ever.
    Yeah, I was thinking that there tonight, it's insanely generous of Max to allow us to use that forum. Dunno how much pressure the traffic is putting on him though, as well as things like updates etc so I guess we also need to have a back up plan in case in future we can't use that forum any longer for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Yeah, I was thinking that there tonight, it's insanely generous of Max to allow us to use that forum. Dunno how much pressure the traffic is putting on him though, as well as things like updates etc so I guess we also need to have a back up plan in case in future we can't use that forum any longer for whatever reason.

I thought about this, and could discord be an option?

I thought about this, and could discord be an option?

Maybe. I've only really used it for the tigger group or the spectator chat so not fully aware of its capabilities. I don't think there's options to quote posts though is there? I do love that you can @ notify people, major missing functionality on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I'm no techie so excuse me if this is not possible or feasible but is there any way they could have a basic WW character account that has set limitations required for the game. Including extremely limited access to just WW areas.. this would include restrictive PMIng for obvious reasons.

And for each game, the mods creating the game just open 30 new accounts and at the end they close them off... So in my mind each game mods just create 30 of these new named roles and at the end close them off...

In terms of penalties , I think the user of the character has their main account penalised if they act up in the game. Perhaps there are rules or guidelines that make this difficult but I think this should be a rule of playing the game.

Maybe. I've only really used it for the tigger group or the spectator chat so not fully aware of its capabilities. I don't think there's options to quote posts though is there? I do love that you can @ notify people, major missing functionality on boards.

You might be right on the quoting, I'll have a nose around it and see. I really think @ notification would be awesome (and a curse of you wanted to avoid questions)

Tbh the anonymity isn't a big thing for me, sure it'd be nice, occasionally but like qb and someone else said I like that we all know each other it adds to the game. I'm sure it's not great for the Andy's and Tiggers of the world tho either to be so notorious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

You might be right on the quoting, I'll have a nose around it and see. I really think @ notification would be awesome (and a curse of you wanted to avoid questions)

Tbh the anonymity isn't a big thing for me, sure it'd be nice, occasionally but like qb and someone else said I like that we all know each other it adds to the game. I'm sure it's not great for the Andy's and Tiggers of the world tho either to be so notorious!

Yeah but it's not like that's why me and Andy are pushing for an ominous
    We showed how it allows swaps in the game look at sandwich getting modkilled
    We showed how it allows new s play like vets look at necro in the last game
    Played like a champ
    We should we'd how it levels the field
    Everyone should aspire to play like Andy
    If a person wants to see how to play ww go to Andy's posts after I called him out
    He took lemons and made lemonade and his team won
    Go look at his attitude
    Oh well ifvtigger is doing that then this is how we benifit
    Yet he should always be killed immediatly cos of meta

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    I'm no techie so excuse me if this is not possible or feasible but is there any way they could have a basic WW character account that has set limitations required for the game. Including extremely limited access to just WW areas.. this would include restrictive PMIng for obvious reasons.

And for each game, the mods creating the game just open 30 new accounts and at the end they close them off... So in my mind each game mods just create 30 of these new named roles and at the end close them off...

In terms of penalties , I think the user of the character has their main account penalised if they act up in the game. Perhaps there are rules or guidelines that make this difficult but I think this should be a rule of playing the game.

The game mods can't create or change accounts. Only boards modmins can. It would be a lot to ask just to even reset 30 passwords.

Tigger wrote: »
    Yeah but it's not like that's why me and Andy are pushing for an ominous
    We showed how it allows swaps in the game look at sandwich getting modkilled
    We showed how it allows new s play like vets look at necro in the last game
    Played like a champ
    We should we'd how it levels the field
    Everyone should aspire to play like Andy
    If a person wants to see how to play ww go to Andy's posts after I called him out
    He took lemons and made lemonade and his team won
    Go look at his attitude
    Oh well ifvtigger is doing that then this is how we benifit
    Yet he should always be killed immediatly cos of meta

In the next game it'll be Raze that's under pressure. It's all well and good saying Andy will be killed early. It's become a self fulfilling prophecy now though. There's loads of good players and loads of targets for a wolf to take out early.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

But Andy wasn't killed early this latest game because of my a reasons! Yes, comment about him doing a signature role claim were meta but the initial accusations weren't. Even under an anonymous account Andy's suggestion about Nelson revealing himself would have set off triggers for me.

Tigger wrote:
    Yeah but it's not like that's why me and Andy are pushing for an ominous We showed how it allows swaps in the game look at sandwich getting modkilled We showed how it allows new s play like vets look at necro in the last game Played like a champ We should we'd how it levels the field Everyone should aspire to play like Andy If a person wants to see how to play ww go to Andy's posts after I called him out He took lemons and made lemonade and his team won Go look at his attitude Oh well ifvtigger is doing that then this is how we benifit Yet he should always be killed immediatly cos of meta

I think the anonymous game was great and a really good dynamic and from a mod stand point seems to have been so much smoother. But I wouldn't want all games like that. Also while it may seem easy on the outside we have to accept that we might not get it. I don't think we can get the control needed here for it. There's no point us speculating how we'd work it. We've asked, it'll be answered. We just have to wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

The game mods can't create or change accounts. Only boards modmins can. It would be a lot to ask just to even reset 30 passwords.

If we had these accounts. You don't have to get the mod to reset. The person who last holds the account PMs their password to the game mod. The mod hands that account to new person and THEY change the password. Then it keeps going.

That is how the WWGM account works and I set that up last year and there have been no problems passing it about.

As I mentioned before on the accounts.

Vbulletin can restrict accounts to a certain place. IPB is ran with the exact same software. Accounts can be set up and restricted to posting ONLY within the Forum games part and the WW forum.

I have a personal web forum, or did have and it ran on it too and I restricted people on a smaller scale to stop posting outside of where they were meant to.

We can do a list of names that we want to get done. Say 30 of them. Then each of us creates an account using the name they were told to setup. The password is set the same as the account and then they get changed once they are in use.

If the accounts can't post outside of the forum area then there is no worry about somone acting the maggot with the account. And if they did, the IP for where it happened would show and they can see who also operates from that IP (been there, done that with fake accounts)

If the PTB allow us to go ahead, it will be great. Not for every game but for some where we want to be able to role play a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

any chance a game will be running between 10th and 16th?! Would be super awesome if it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Drumpot wrote: »
    any chance a game will be running between 10th and 16th?! Would be super awesome if it was!

I may have a game around then depending on the dates of the June game here, it'll be on FB though.

I'm trying to think of a WW/Mafia drinking game for live games and I must say, it's not that easy, would anyone have ideas?

I've got

-Drink for very mention of your name
    -Drink twice if you're accused of being a wolf
    -Drink three times if munched and five if lynched
    -If lynched while innocent, you get to hand out three drinks to whoever you choose after the game
    -Drink every time you read your Role Card
    -Drink twice every time you ask the mod a question
    -Become Beer Wench for one hour if you're SK's third kill
    -Finish your drink if you win
    -Finish your drink if you lose

I may have a game around then depending on the dates of the June game here, it'll be on FB though.

I'd be maybe interested in trying a game on FB, I know someone here was talking about that before. Do ye run it through Messenger or a private group or what?

• Advertisement

I'd be maybe interested in trying a game on FB, I know someone here was talking about that before. Do ye run it through Messenger or a private group or what?

There's a private group for kill announcement and lynch votes for easy referrals. I'll set up a post if anyone wants to screenshot messages in game too.

The game is 100% Messenger though

• Forum Games Player Posts: 1 rex sleuth

andy125 wrote: »
    So, what's the story with those anonymous accounts for boards games...

It's certainly an interesting idea for the occasional game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I dont use FB, so I wouldnt be in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

rex sleuth wrote: »
    It's certainly an interesting idea for the occasional game...

Oh Rex you're such a tease ;)

sullivlo wrote: »
    Oh Rex you're such a tease ;)

Does that mean what I think it means?? :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

No. Frickin. Way.

Can we name one Tigger? Just for the craic

• Advertisement

If anyone wants to play the FB game, I'll be reusing the Star Wars game from here.

PM me a link to your FB account and I'll add you to the group and you can sign up there

Advertisement