Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Werewolf discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Just regarding the number of games per month question

The only issue I can see is pool of available players and I'm speaking this as someone who came from a forum where a new game started every 3 days ( Mondays and Thursdays ) where several games could have ran concurrently. The pool of available players who would/could have signed up for each game start time was at its lowest time 50 players and up towards 100-150 players.
    When games here run even with only 1 game a month, the roster caps out at 20-25 players of those who can sign up. The game is so much fun, but I dont know if we have the roster to fill it yet.

Though maybe it will be like the old saying :: If you build it, they will come.

fwiw, the way the roster used to work on my home forum over a 1 month period it would go

Monday (Complex/Mish-mash game)
    Thursday (13 player vanilla game)
    Monday (13-25 player vanilla/vanilla+ game)

With nightly 9 player turbo games running every single night of the week.

it ran like that at its peak from around 2009-2013

Kolido wrote: »
    I had an idea similar, using our regulars as game characters. For example, dandy signs up to play and he gets the role of Baggly. All characters would be randed roles, so mods would not neccessarly be wolves.

That said, I would like to put my name down for a game, I wont pick a month just yet, I would like to try fit it in between the current schedule if possible. Have 2 possible themes in mind, none are the example above. Anyone interested in joining, please hit me up.

Thats one I have done before on another forum. I get randed the role of necro and have to post 100 times a day to achieve an ability. Someone else gets randed the role of Rikand and they have to do something I do(post tons of emoticons, do wagonomics, mention wagonomics 5 times a day, or something). Wolves get a killing role where they get to kill a person if they can identify the character, that wendy ww is playing.
    Wolves submit Wendy WW as Rikand. if true, Wendy dies. If not true, Wendy survives

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rikand wrote: »
    Just regarding the number of games per month question

The only issue I can see is pool of available players and I'm speaking this as someone who came from a forum where a new game started every 3 days ( Mondays and Thursdays ) where several games could have ran concurrently. The pool of available players who would/could have signed up for each game start time was at its lowest time 50 players and up towards 100-150 players.
    When games here run even with only 1 game a month, the roster caps out at 20-25 players of those who can sign up. The game is so much fun, but I dont know if we have the roster to fill it yet.

Though maybe it will be like the old saying :: If you build it, they will come.

fwiw, the way the roster used to work on my home forum over a 1 month period it would go

With nightly 9 player turbo games running every single night of the week.

it ran like that at its peak from around 2009-2013

Yeah we're defo not big enough to support that sort of system yet. Not sure of your old place but was there a bot to run the games like MU?
    If we got big enough to support that sort of system we would probably need to be at least semi-automated, for the turbo games at a minimum.

Probably unlikely, but not entirely out of the realms of possibility. The more active and varied games on FG, the more of a likelihood of some crossover peeps into WW (so kudos on that part ;) )

I think there's sort of space for two games per month though of varied lengths, the game currently running got 17 (+1 sub) in just under a week.

It's time of year dependent too, like from October - January there's a natural drop off with work, Xmas etc which is also reflected in the sign ups last year iirc.

No, there was no automation back then. They did make a turbo bot at one time, but everything was manually ran. It was the automation features of MU that in part lead to 2+2's downfall. Half the people went to MU and the other half just stopped playing altogether. MU was started by Thingyman who was on 2+2's roster first :)

I dont know how amenable the good admins at boards.ie would be but one feature we had on 2+2 from an early day was the ability for an account to be made a game mod, which basically gave you some moderator abilities, but only on that particular forum and only on threads that you created with that account on that forum. This was good for the way werewolf was ran over there as it used clear day/night (day being posters were awake and night being posters were asleep/unable to post) similar to MU. But it was the game admin who manually locked/unlocked the thread each night and could make game edits as necessary. Forum moderators still had the overall hierarchy of course, but it made it easier to run games for sure.

Plus we had coders who could make vote counters, much like the sheepulator that I use. The sheepulator was created by a player on 2+2 who just did it "for the love of the game" and to work on his coding lol. There was also in thread vote counters for werewolf which did the same thing, much like MU but not with the same accessibility that is on MU

Anyways, im rambling away here reminiscing about my former life lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Just curious but why do people like a Sunday start?

Maybe it’s cause I work for myself and don’t like playing during the work week but I would of thoight a soft start on a Thursday with a Friday , sat, Sunday to really give the time to a game would make more sense for most. Not giving out BTW , I just don’t understand why a game that only gets going on a monday is always the preferred option.

Perhaps some of the answer is how I play. I haven’t been keeping notes the last few games but I find it very hard to stay away from the game when it’s on.

• Advertisement

Probably two reasons for a Sunday start. Game mods don't work Sundays so it gives them time to send out PMs and create game threads without being bothered by the boss. Sunday is also traditionally a lazy day, so posting is a nice way to fill it lol.

For me, I will almost never be able to post on a sunday. Its family day and I do things with my kids. If it gets to Monday and you're still waiting on 1player to check in, then you know its me lol

Rikand wrote: »
    Probably two reasons for a Sunday start. Game mods don't work Sundays so it gives them time to send out PMs and create game threads without being bothered by the boss. Sunday is also traditionally a lazy day, so posting is a nice way to fill it lol.

For me, I will almost never be able to post on a sunday. Its family day and I do things with my kids. If it gets to Monday and you're still waiting on 1player to check in, then you know its me lol

Bear with me here, I haven’t run a game so I don’t know how much work is needed on opening day (so maybe below is not feasible for most people).

Coukd a game start on Thursday at 8pm? Keep lynches as is but first munch can either be 6pm Friday or even a double munch on Saturday morning? I always think the first person to go after a day of fluff is a bit hard done by.

By the time the game gets to monday you have prob lost 50% of the people posting (80% if Necro is gone :D) which means that even going back to work should mean people require less time to go through posts.

I suppose if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, I just find Monday’s and Tuesday’s hard days to play the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Drumpot wrote: »
    Bear with me here, I haven’t run a game so I don’t know how much work is needed on opening day (so maybe below is not feasible for most people).

Coukd a game start on Thursday at 8pm? Keep lynches as is but first munch can either be 6pm Friday or even a double munch on Saturday morning? I always think the first person to go after a day of fluff is a bit hard done by.

By the time the game gets to monday you have prob lost 50% of the people posting (80% if Necro is gone :D) which means that even going back to work should mean people require less time to go through posts.

I suppose if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, I just find Monday’s and Tuesday’s hard days to play the game.

different schedules suit different people.
    I myself would love to use drumies schedule as mondays and tuesdays are also near impossible for me too.
    fridays saturday and sundays, i can devote lots of time to games, but in work week, its possible that i cannot get on at all.
    that said, i do get slow times in work when phone isnt buzzing.

sKeith wrote: »
    different schedules suit different people.
    I myself would love to use drumies schedule as mondays and tuesdays are also near impossible for me too.
    fridays saturday and sundays, i can devote lots of time to games, but in work week, its possible that i cannot get on at all.
    that said, i do get slow times in work when phone isnt buzzing.

What about a weds night soft start, no actions on Thursday , normal round on Friday and two double munch/lynches on sat Sunday? Aim to finish off my Monday. Allows people the full weekend to really get into things!

Again I’m sure you guys have tried different things so I’m only a blow in.

I’m down to do a game next feb with Digi so just wanted to see what people thought. This sort of schedule would suit me better to mod.

Digi, if you are reading, I’ve had loads of ideas for our game. But.... I’ve written none of them down!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭duffman13

What about a weds night soft start, no actions on Thursday , normal round on Friday and two double munch/lynches on sat Sunday? Aim to finish off my Monday. Allows people the full weekend to really get into things!

I’m down to do a game next feb with Digi so just wanted to see what people thought. This sort of schedule would suit me better to mod.

Digi, if you are reading, I’ve had loads of ideas for our game. But.... I’ve written none of them down!! :(

I'm thinking of running a weekend speedy kinda game, little longer than a one night game but a max of say 72 hours of a game so it's interesting to hear yourself and sKeith are potentially suited to that schedule of over a weekend. Be interesting to hear some other responses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

duffman13 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of running a weekend speedy kinda game, little longer than a one night game but a max of say 72 hours of a game so it's interesting to hear yourself and sKeith are potentially suited to that schedule of over a weekend. Be interesting to hear some other responses

I’d definitely be up for that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'd happily run a game starting a Thursday as an eg. Just didn't realise there was more of an appetite for it tbh!!

Duffers I'd defo be interested in that version! Where do I sign up? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭duffman13

Necro wrote: »
    I'd happily run a game starting a Thursday as an eg. Just didn't realise there was more of an appetite for it tbh!!

Duffers I'd defo be interested in that version! Where do I sign up? :D

Once we get friends out of the way I'll see when the July mods are going for and try slot it in the middle, fairly vanilla-ish game in mind depending on interest

Could everyone be aware that I can’t play between 10th and 12th July, but I have massive FOMO and don’t want to break my game streak, so if everyone could sort out July around me that’d be great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

I'm pretty sure I would play no matter what the schedule. 1 hour at rush hour on a monday? In. 3 days while i'm on holiday? In. 2 weeks of doing no work during the week. I'm there!

tusk wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I would play no matter what the schedule. 1 hour at rush hour on a monday? In. 3 days while i'm on holiday? In. 2 weeks of doing no work during the week. I'm there!

I think we need a WW Wags support group at this stage :o

I think we need a WW Wags support group at this stage :o

I told me GF I wouldn't be playing the next one after Silence. We damn near had a divorce during HG even though she believed I wasn't playing. Now that I'm helping out with the modding of this one, it's easing me back into the good graces in prep for the next one :P :P :P

Yeah, yeah, I judge myself too.

tusk wrote: »
    I told me GF I wouldn't be playing the next one after Silence. We damn near had a divorce during HG even though she believed I wasn't playing. Now that I'm helping out with the modding of this one, it's easing me back into the good graces in prep for the next one :P :P :P

Yeah, yeah, I judge myself too.

Why don’t you get her playing? No more problems.

Whiplashy wrote: »
    Why don’t you get her playing? No more problems.

I suggested it, she aint into it though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I don't have time to be on here at the weekends as I am always out and about. During the week is easier as I do be in work.

• Advertisement

kitten_k wrote: »
    I don't have time to be on here at the weekends as I am always out and about. During the week is easier as I do be in work.

There's this as well which forms part of my reasoning for sticking with the norm, most of the player base prefer to play Sun - Fri :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

There's this as well which forms part of my reasoning for sticking with the norm, most of the player base prefer to play Sun - Fri :)

There is no reason why there can't be a mix of both

kitten_k wrote:
    There is no reason why there can't be a mix of both

Oh no absolutely not, it's more habit than anything tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Weekdays would suit me better but a weekend game wouldnt be a deal breaker. Might need to consider though that w'ends in the Summer might not suit as many.
    If it suits the mods, go for it. A mix of both is good.

Yeah, can't hurt to try. And if it doesn't work, then at least we'll be the wiser for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Salmiakki is not to everyone's taste, but if nobody enjoyed it, then it wouldn't still exist.
    People have the options of not signing up to a game that is designed to continue over the weekend.
    If the sign up sheet makes it obvious that the game runs over a weekend, then those who wouldn't be able to play over a weekend would just not signup to that game.
    It does loop back to that earlier idea, of more choice and being able to pick what suits you.
    The weekend game that was proposed, is not going to be popular with everybody, so it will be a smaller game ran to suit the schedule of a minority.
    I understand you may have a FOMO, but nothing to stop the 'weekdayers only' crowd from enjoying reading the game later on the weekdays after the game has concluded.

Did I use FOMO correctly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

You did sKeith, well done ;)

Personally a weekend game would be amazing for me during term time. I know when I was office based mon-fri suited me because I could have game open on my pc and that will suit a lot but a different schedule might also lure in some new players. So I'd definitely be interested in seeing some alternate scheduling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Ara when we get to hard planning they might come back, I've done nawthin so no worries there pal :D

We can definitely do a midweek start if that will still suit ya come February, could make the full weekend into 1 day, so lynch Friday, Munch Sat, Lynch Sunday, regular again after Monday and not cram the endgame as most people would be open to posting again come the Monday, and most of the heavy modwork is done by D3 or so on our end.

Is there currently a way to reserve a theme without making the theme public to everyone well in advance? E.g. Can I PM the theme to a forum mod or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Is there currently a way to reserve a theme without making the theme public to everyone well in advance? E.g. Can I PM the theme to a forum mod or something?
    Yeah I guess so

Advertisement