Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla autopilot - driver killed

• 13-09-2016 1:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Article

Now the driver was not at fault. It was a truck that didn't give right of way. The driver of the car did not brake so he either did not spot the white trailer (it was a bright day) or he was watching a movie, relying on autopilot. Humans make mistakes

What is very worrying though is that autopilot didn't spot the trailer either :eek:

We're not there yet, so it seems, with self driving cars...

(apologies if this was posted before, a quick search didn't bring it up)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

unkel wrote: »
    Article

Now the driver was not at fault. It was a truck that didn't give right of way. The driver of the car did not brake so he either did not spot the white trailer (it was a bright day) or he was watching a movie, relying on autopilot. Humans make mistakes

What is very worrying though is that autopilot didn't spot the trailer either :eek:

Think there's a thread up in the main motors section for it.
    This was the guy watching harry potter, allegedly, right? His own fault really. Its not a driverless car and he should have been more alert to what was happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Nobody with an ounce of common sense believed we were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Article

Now the driver was not at fault.

The driver was at fault as they are supposed to be able to take control when the system makes a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

This sort of "autopilot that needs supervision" is going to get a lot of people killed.

Fully automated? Fine (in time). Fully driver controlled? Fine (mostly).

However, anything in between is, IMO, more dangerous than both combined, because it will only mean drivers not paying attention and trusting in a system that was not designed to operate unsupervised.

Sad story-- I feel sorry for those involved, but I doubt this is the last tale like this that we'll hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

DivingDuck wrote: »
    This sort of "autopilot that needs supervision" is going to get a lot of people killed.

Fully automated? Fine (in time). Fully driver controlled? Fine (mostly).

However, anything in between is, IMO, more dangerous than both combined, because it will only mean drivers not paying attention and trusting in a system that was not designed to operate unsupervised.

Sad story-- I feel sorry for those involved, but I doubt this is the last tale like this that we'll hear.

AGreed - Volvo came out and made a similar statement a few months ago that was similar:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/27/11518826/volvo-tesla-autopilot-autonomous-self-driving-car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Actually it did, the issue was that it thought what it detected of the trailer was an overhead sign.

Still, fatalities in autonomous vehicles are inevitable. They are still statistically safer than human drivers, and getting better every day.

People get hysterical about imagined risks of new technology and implicitly accept the issues with current technology as if it was unavoidable.
    1.25 million people die in road traffic accidents every year, mainly attributable to human error.

A similar nonsense are the alarmist stories about EVs going on fire when it's statistically 6 times more likely that combustion vehicles will go up in flames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

In my view the issue of the assignment of liability will keep autonomous cars off the roads for decades. We have the technology in railways and airlines for well over a ðecade and yet we have humans in the driving seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The accidents with autonomous vehicles will always for the foreseeable future get into the front pages...
    What does not get there are the accidents that not happened because the car was driving on its own.

I honestly don't know what the balance is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

BoatMad wrote: »
    In my view the issue of the assignment of liability will keep autonomous cars off the roads for decades. We have the technology in railways and airlines for well over a ðecade and yet we have humans in the driving seat.

There is a big difference here though.
    Aircraft and trains have a lot of people (trained and alert) looking at what's going on, ready to take charge.

Everyday drivers are not trained to near the same standard and they're all interacting on a massive scale. There are a lot more hazards to watch out for on a road for any computer to avoid and people often have to make judgement calls such as "do I swerve to miss a child and hit an elderly man or do I drive into a wall?". Obviously an extreme example but would you want your car making that choice, and if so, how would you feel with the consequences?

It's unlikely a child will stroll out from behind a cloud in front of a plane, or some lunatic will hurl a breeze block off a bridge onto a motorway (which happened to me only last week). Of course there are hundreds of factors involved in aircraft navigation too but the equipment can be more expensive and there are people on the ground and in the air making certain calls all the time too, if need be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

KeithTS wrote: »
    There is a big difference here though.
    Aircraft and trains have a lot of people (trained and alert) looking at what's going on, ready to take charge.

Everyday drivers are not trained to near the same standard and they're all interacting on a massive scale. There are a lot more hazards to watch out for on a road for any computer to avoid and people often have to make judgement calls such as "do I swerve to miss a child and hit an elderly man or do I drive into a wall?". Obviously an extreme example but would you want your car making that choice, and if so, how would you feel with the consequences?

It's unlikely a child will stroll out from behind a cloud in front of a plane, or some lunatic will hurl a breeze block off a bridge onto a motorway (which happened to me only last week). Of course there are hundreds of factors involved in aircraft navigation too but the equipment can be more expensive and there are people on the ground and in the air making certain calls all the time too, if need be.
    Your argument reinforces mine. We have both an extreme technical challenge , one that may never be overcome as well as considerable legal issues.

Advertisement