Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny Competitions - Boards Players

Options
  • 13-09-2016 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,661 ✭✭✭✭

So, with Private Matches coming in - who wuold be up for having a boards.ie comptition of some sort?

I would be up for helping to organise a PS4 comp if we can get enough people.

I'm just spitballing here - i'm not sure exactly what format any competition should take.

We could do it as single player comps, or as teams of two or three (teams of more than 3 would result in too few teams, imo).

There are many many ways in which we could do it. As a single player we could have Rumble matches with top two or three progressing - and then refining it down to either a Rumble match of 3+ players in the final or maybe a 1vs1 fight to the death for the title.

We could (I suggest randomly) put together teams of 3 and play elimination matches in a tournament structure.

It would be great if we could arrange a competition day but obviously people have real life requirements away from the game, so once we have match ups set, we could leave it that the games have to be played in a given week.

Anyone interested? Anyone have ideas on how we could/should structure it?

EDIT: Lets start the ball rolling with a general sign up - we can work out specifics as we go along.... Stick your Boards.ie Name, Gamertag and Console (maybe there will be enough for the Xboxers to get something going too - no harm in finding out)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YIHxkcwrdhw9XvlJznM7qJC46oYzAvus6EpVeLrPuRs/edit?usp=sharing

PLEASE CLICK ON BELOW LINK FOR TEAMS AND FIXTURE DETAILS

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101985814&postcount=201

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Elimination practice will be brilliant in private matches.

Im up for any private games for a laugh, Im not going to take it too seriously :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I've been thinking along the same lines. In fact, I've so many ideas I couldn't put down here for fear of retribution. ;)

We could have Rumble matches limited to just Primaries, and each Primary variant on rotation. So Match 1 HC, 2 SR, 3 PR, 4 AR. No Specials or Heavys. Nades and Supers are fine.

Clan v Clan v Clan Round Robin in all 6v6 modes. C1 v C2. C2 v C3. C3 v C1 in Control. Then on to Clash. Or Winner stays on kinda marathon thingy.

I might attempt some sort of tabular spreadsheet for some of these. See how we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,661 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

tabular spreadshee
    *Cormac Triggered*

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

*Cormac Triggered*

Most recent pic of Cormac after those comments:

946621d085ab050d1c9080ed9f039510.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

3v3 Skirmish Round Robin, nothing "Banned" would be a good place to start if you want to do something competitive.

Use everyones Skirmish ELO to get a rough team average.

So take the total number of participants, combine their ELOs, divide by number of teams.

Each captain then has to pick their 2 teams mates to achieve the required ELO as a group of 3

• Advertisement

Cormac... wrote: »
    3v3 Skirmish Round Robin, nothing "Banned" would be a good place to start if you want to do something competitive.

Use everyones Skirmish ELO to get a rough team average.

So take the total number of participants, combine their ELOs, divide by number of teams.

Each captain then has to pick their 2 teams mates to achieve the required ELO as a group of 3
    The ELO averaging is a very good idea. I was thinking we should/may need to do something that stops the top 3 players being on the same team and another team of 3 people who have barely touched PVP. Very good idea Cormac.

I would recommend using Guardian GG over Destiny Tracker for ELO - I don't trust the ELO on Destiny Tracker at all.

How will we know it's truly Jonny using his controller though? :confused:

Created a google doc spreadsheet for signups. Its in the OP and here too:

We can start the ball rolling with a general sign up - we can work out specifics as we go along.... Stick your Boards.ie Name, Gamertag and Console (maybe there will be enough for the Xboxers to get something going too - no harm in finding out

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YIHxkcwrdhw9XvlJznM7qJC46oYzAvus6EpVeLrPuRs/edit?usp=sharing

As we move along I will try to add ELO for a few different game types to the list, maybe we can use this list as the starting point for tournement structure.

59481628.jpg

I would recommend using Guardian GG over Destiny Tracker for ELO - I don't trust the ELO on Destiny Tracker at all.

1230 ELO on skirmish on GuardianGG

http://guardian.gg/en/profile/2/GenericDreadhead/

968 ELO on Skimish on Guardian GG

http://destinytracker.com/destiny/playlists/ps/GenericDreadhead/threeVsThree

Dafuq?!?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

There is only 1 sure way of knowing for sure that its me behind the controller, hammers will be flying everywhere :P

The only thing I'd consider doing in the interest in fairness, and this might be my own personal bias here would be to limit the amount of roaming supers on each team.

Stormcallers and Hammers last a f**king age and are nigh on impossible to be team shot in 3v3. Thats just my thoughts.

1230 ELO on skirmish on GuardianGG

http://guardian.gg/en/profile/2/GenericDreadhead/

968 ELO on Skimish on Guardian GG

http://destinytracker.com/destiny/playlists/ps/GenericDreadhead/threeVsThree

Dafuq?!?

:rolleyes:

Exactly - I don't like the way Destiny Tracker seems to calculate stuff - i don't think they updated theirs per season or something. THe ELO in DT seems to stay low or drop low very quickly. I would have a similar ELO in Control, for example, to some of the very new players, which doesn't seem right.

I reckon Guardian GG is a far better measure of ELO/Player level than Destiny Tracker, hence my suggestion (and I am guessing your agreement!)

The only thing I'd consider doing in the interest in fairness, and this might be my own personal bias here would be to limit the amount of roaming supers on each team.

Stormcallers and Hammers last a f**king age and are nigh on impossible to be team shot in 3v3. Thats just my thoughts.

The sweats community only allow one subclass each per team - so you could have three titans but they would each have to be a different subclass.

That does mean you can still have Hammers and StormCallers on the same team though - we could add a roaming super rule to our own set of 'rules' if people agreed. I wouldn't mind such a rule, but i'm not going to kick up a fuss if the majority of people involved don't want to limit it that much.

Yeah, whatever, something like that.

Sick of being Team wiped by SC or Hammers and having him come kill me again after I spawn in.

Lads,

I am also proposing that on 1 beer filled night we go for a "Super" only event.
    So for Round 1 everyone on both sides bring a titan (Any super you like) and no weapons if possible :pac:
    Round 2 Hunters etc
    Round 3 Warlocks

Now I would imagine that would be a laugh :D

Total Mayhem Jonny.

140b5483695386641c948708752a0663ef0e2f500d6cdab6175c881d626a5a60.jpg

I had been thinking of mentioning this myself, but had been far too lazy.
    I am most definitely up for some competitive stuff, whether we go for random Rumble, Skirmish, or a more organised system bringing elo into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Loving this idea. I've been practicing my Blue Orbing of late, really honing my skills.

Did anyone actually try any of these private matches aside from Dead Ghost grabbing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

Did anyone actually try any of these private matches aside from Dead Ghost grabbing

I did, solo queued into a 5 minute rumble match. I won, but didn't get any Grimoire :pac:

nevelator wrote: »
    I did, solo queued into a 5 minute rumble match. I won, but didn't get any Grimoire :pac:

1vs1 will give grimoire, solo won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

If I only did Oryx tonight and moved on, I'd like to try them out. Keen to see how the clan plays against each other.

PetKing wrote: »
    If I only did Oryx tonight and moved on, I'd like to try them out. Keen to see how the clan plays against each other.

Yeah, we try get the same 6 again for Oryx and then PvP after?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

We could have Rumble matches limited to just Primaries,

We did this last night where we were only allowed use the No Land Beyond, queue hilarity. Great craic altogether!

We did this last night where we were only allowed use the No Land Beyond, queue hilarity. Great craic altogether!

That sounds hilarious! Must try it. Or sword hilts!

jonnycivic wrote:
    Yeah, we try get the same 6 again for Oryx and then PvP after?

Cool cool! Drum Steve needs a good 'how to Oryx' video if one can be recommended??

PetKing wrote: »
    Cool cool! Drum Steve needs a good 'how to Oryx' video if one can be recommended??

The one dude posted up a while ago would do the job :D

/R/DestinyPrivateMatches has some great ideas for modes to play. My sword hilts one is there as "ye olde jousting" :D

• Advertisement

bumping the signup sheet - we are gonna need a lot more players if we are to have a hope of getting this together.

Advertisement