Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny Competitions - Boards Players

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,952 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would be balanced in terms of Score/Match Time/Heavy Timing

Also Revives make the game a bit more strategic

Just from a player and spectator POV, running down clocks and hiding and hard-camping etc are not really how we normally do things.

I get the timer/camping thing - but I just don't see how changing from Clash to Skirmish changes that. Wouldn't you (possibly) have people hardscoping revives for res snipes or to take our the reviver.

I think it is a player style/unfamiliarity/fear/caution issue rather than an issue with the game type itself.

Also, I don't get how it would change the heavy issue - or are you saying we should increase the match time so there is more time after heavy spawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

The way I was supposed to set up my new headset didn't actually work. I had to work a solution myself.

I'm going to have to get another of the gold headsets.

Did you have them on back-to-front?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Would be balanced in terms of Score/Match Time/Heavy Timing

Also Revives make the game a bit more strategic

Just from a player and spectator POV, running down clocks and hiding and hard-camping etc are not really how we normally do things.

Yeah. We backed ourselves into a corner on "A" in Twilight Gap. At one point I said they were going to get both heavy. Low and behold.

I think it is a player style/unfamiliarity/fear/caution issue rather than an issue with the game type itself.

I definitely found myself playing differently. Haven't sniped in months but was last night. Then when we went into normal crucible, back to my Fusion. Also I didn't Titan. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I get the timer/camping thing - but I just don't see how changing from Clash to Skirmish changes that. Wouldn't you (possibly) have people hardscoping revives for res snipes or to take our the reviver.

Also, I don't get how it would change the heavy issue - or are you saying we should increase the match time so there is more time after heavy spawn?

Essentially, it worked in 4v4, not in 3v3

You either ended up with 2 Supers or 1, and when you used it mattered a lot
    I had one charged at 4 mins to go on Twilight Gap, should I use it now or sit on it for a full 2 minutes to get heavy knowing I then won't get another Super.

You're talking about Skirmish like it's some really complex strategic mode, It ain't.
    Not many of the 24 players listed would be know as really good snipers, never mind really good res-snipers.

Maybe the other 5 I played with last night can chime in, but there seemed a huge disconnect between score/timer etc.

Like with around 90 seconds on the clock there was talk to of taking the ball to the corner flag.

Some might enjoy that, I prefer racing to hit a score threshold, as opposed to trying to die least in a short match

• Advertisement

I definitely found myself playing differently. Haven't sniped in months but was last night. Then when we went into normal crucible, back to my Fusion. Also I didn't Titan. :(

Last nights games were completely different to the games we played vs Generic's team last week, as an example. Far more cat and mouse - and I don't think changing the game mode would have changed how those games played - even if it was skirmish I reckon I would have been seeing a lot of sniper glints.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Just put a 5k score limit on Clash and no time limit..

and if you're still sniping you're doing destiny wrong ;) unfortunately

Essentially, it worked in 4v4, not in 3v3

You either ended up with 2 Supers or 1, and when you used it mattered a lot
    I had one charged at 4 mins to go on Twilight Gap, should I use it now or sit on it for a full 2 minutes to get heavy knowing I then won't get another Super.

You're talking about Skirmish like it's some really complex strategic mode, It ain't.
    Not many of the 24 players listed would be know as really good snipers, never mind really good res-snipers.

Maybe the other 5 I played with last night can chime in, but there seemed a huge disconnect between score/timer etc.

Like with around 90 seconds on the clock there was talk to of taking the ball to the corner flag.

Some might enjoy that, I prefer racing to hit a score threshold, as opposed to trying to die least in a short match

I get what you are saying re score/timer/camping. BELIEVE ME. I saw it last night, Bannerfall was POISON last night.

My point is simply that I don't think Skirmish would change that - I would generally think Skirmish a favors a bit more caution than Clash would. I think it is a player issue rather than a game mode issue.

I get what you are saying re score/timer/camping. BELIEVE ME. I saw it last night, Bannerfall was POISON last night.

My point is simply that I don't think Skirmish would change that - I would generally think Skirmish a favors a bit more caution than Clash would. I think it is a player issue rather than a game mode issue.

How much of this is you projecting your personal distaste of the Work "Skirmish" and it's connotations with 3v3 modes in general though? :P

I think Adams point is fair enough, maybe we turn off the timer, though 5k might be too many points meaning too long a game

Does turning off the Timer stop heavy spawning?
    Cause I like that we can use heavy :o

How much of this is you projecting your personal distaste of the Work "Skirmish" and it's connotations with 3v3 modes in general though? :P

I think Adams point is fair enough, maybe we turn off the timer, though 5k might be too many points meaning too long a game

I think it only goes 2500, 5000, 7500, 10,000, which is annoying.

• Advertisement

I've no issue with skirmish at all - i actually enjoy it well enough. The reason I don't play it is cause I have ZERO interest in loading into it solo queued. If there were groups of people looking to do it now I would jump in. Had great craic playing it with JonnyCivic a while back, then interest in it died. I just don't think player behavior (which i think is the 'problem' - and i'm as bad a camper as anyone, I just don't snipe!) would be changed by the change of game mode to skirmish.

Can you explain why you think Skirmish would speed up game play and engagements in comparison to Clash? I know Skirmish is the 3vs3 mode for 'professional' competitive Destiny but I would also point out the skill level of those lads is a lot higher and there play style would be the difference between the type of match you see them play and the type of match that we saw last night.

Also, Skirmish was the base mode for competitive due to it being a standard 3vs3 game mode that they could try to work the matchmaking in. Salvage (without heavy and no use of relics) was another used. I think Control is the only mode they stay away from now in Private Matches as they want kill scores to be consistent rather than multiplied by zone numbers.

If you were leading by 200 points with 30 seconds to go in a game of Skirmish would you have been pushing for kills or holding back as you may have been doing last night to deny the opposition the chance at points?

Its not that I am against Skirmish, I just understand your position that it would have made the games more active in comparison to Clash.

I would still think heavy ammo is too big a game changer in these types of games - but I know thats an argument I won't win. Its one of the few competitive rules I actually agree with.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Skirmish is actually great craic but not many want to play it really which is a shame cos it gets you started for Trials, and I really do want to get some more trials done :(

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

5k is probably grand for 4v4. Might be a little bit too long for 3v3.

I would still think heavy ammo is too big a game changer in these types of games - but I know thats an argument I won't win. Its one of the few competitive rules I actually agree with.

I agree with this, it would make my decision when to nova bombs pillars way easier as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

nevelator wrote: »
    5k is probably grand for 4v4. Might be a little bit too long for 3v3.

I agree with this, it would make my decision when to nova bombs pillars way easier as well.

Score of 5k when its 4v4 and leave as default for 3v3??

I've no issue with skirmish at all - i actually enjoy it well enough. The reason I don't play it is cause I have ZERO interest in loading into it solo queued. If there were groups of people looking to do it now I would jump in. Had great craic playing it with JonnyCivic a while back, then interest in it died. I just don't think player behavior (which i think is the 'problem' - and i'm as bad a camper as anyone, I just don't snipe!) would be changed by the change of game mode to skirmish.

Can you explain why you think Skirmish would speed up game play and engagements in comparison to Clash? I know Skirmish is the 3vs3 mode for 'professional' competitive Destiny but I would also point out the skill level of those lads is a lot higher and there play style would be the difference between the type of match you see them play and the type of match that we saw last night.

If you were leading by 200 points with 30 seconds to go in a game of Skirmish would you have been pushing for kills or holding back as you may have been doing last night to deny the opposition the chance at points?

Its not that I am against Skirmish, I just understand your position that it would have made the games more active in comparison to Clash.

On the use of Heavy Ammo, I'm not bothered either way. If we all wave it off so be it. The last round on Twilight Gap was the only round, I think, where only one team got heavy, but that was partially down to us backing ourselves into a corner.

On changing to Skirmish? Not sure. Last nights games where sweaty enough for me.

So, 5k Clash and no timer so?

(I'm personally not "waving off heavy", I enjoy how heavy changes the flow of the game)

So, 5k Clash and no timer so?

(I'm personally not "waving off heavy", I enjoy how heavy changes the flow of the game)

Let Dude make the call but since we started with heavy already then I think we really should keep it in or else start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Did I lag at all last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

AdamD wrote:
    Just put a 5k score limit on Clash and no time limit..

So we're changing the format mid league?? But I've already played Generic, and most of the staying dead and camping is behind me :p

Is it really that big of a format change..? Its hardly a serious league

• Advertisement

I've no issue with the a change as I don't think previous results or matches would have been any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

The score limit option seems like a really good idea but of course could result in very long games, I think if we can get a few trial runs over the next few nights then that would help.

Skirmish although similar in objective is a very different game to Clash and if you don't play it as a game mode then Clash is the easier option, Clash also doesn't carry the stigma of Skirmish and that's why I chose Clash in the first place. I think when you introduce revives you're going to slow the game down considerably.

It's really up to each team to make the most of the games, our games last night were close but Bannerfall and Twillight Gap were on the slow side, I enjoy playing defensive but that's not really an option with our team makeup, I think we played well given the circumstances and made the right calls to take the victory.

I'd be happy with heavy gone but let's face it, there are differing skill levels playing and this adds a level of uncertainty to the encounter.

I'm happy to go with other options that improve the comp but the remaining games to be played from round 1 and 2 need to continue as is.

Well, if anyone can get the Uber lads nailed down .....

lumbergh.jpg

Well, if anyone can get the Uber lads nailed down .....

lumbergh.jpg

Well wait a day or two until I get my new pad to play against them first :P

The Scream Team 2 v 3 The Inquisition

Game 1 - The Anomaly
    kIA4yZ2l.jpg

Game 2 - Bannerfall
    0LOONKjl.jpg

Game 3 - The Burning Shrine
    w04NXaMl.jpg

Game 4 - Firebase Delphi
    O1Ubtp9l.jpg

Game 5 - Twilight Gap
    OZduJQjl.jpg

Did I lag at all last night?

Less than normal, you must have had the whole village warned to stay off the net!

Man, my K/D was legit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

If anything, this comp has been a great learning curve for any future ones. There will be a lot more constructive feedback given we all have a bit of play under the belt.

5k with no timer is fine in 4v4, it might be a bit long if it's 3v3, but really, blame the 2 people who drop out/can't make it in that case :P

It would equate to about a team needing ~35 kills so maybe 1.5x longer than the games last night. Hardly an all nighter

• Advertisement

OP updated with link to Teams/Fixtures to make it handy to find :)

Advertisement