Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any one really popular band/artist that you simply can't grow to like?

Options
  • 13-09-2016 9:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭

Over the years there has been bands/artists that I have grown to appreciate, despite not liking at first.

Bob Dylan would have been one example, couldn't listen to him in my teens or 20s, now think he's great. Time was a healer!

But there's one band I never liked, and still don't after all these years. I have tried, but simply can't get their appeal for the huge sales they had.

R.E.M.

So who is loved by tens of millions but you simply hate to hear on the radio?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

The Who!

My OH loves them and I spent an awful long drive to Kerry where he insisted I listen to them and give them a chance.

It's mainly the Tommy and their songs from Quadraphenia that I dislike.

I can appreciate they were a talented band though.

They did have a song called "Given it all away" which was written by Leo Sayer that I love. Also they did a cover of "(Love is like) a heatwave" and I like their version but much prefer Martha and The Vandellas singing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sounds like you don't dislike them that much so!

I actually detest REM, not a single song of theirs I like or could leave on the radio. I think that Michael Stype guy had a lot to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

As a teen I couldn't listen to Dylan either.
    Time has not healed that at any level !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I'm a huge fan of R.E.M.

Each to their own!

I never got The Smiths, they drive me mad listening to them.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Sounds like you don't dislike them that much so!

I actually detest REM, not a single song of theirs I like or could leave on the radio. I think that Michael Stype guy had a lot to do with it.

Ah I don't mind REM. I only had the album Monster and there were a few good ones on that.

My brother bought me their greatest hits when I was about 17 which he listened to quite a bit himself. He had a habit of buying me CDs that he kind of wanted himself but didn't like that much to buy for himself ha :)

Anyway the one song that I really did like was Shiny Happy People and it wasn't even in that greatest hits! Why do bands do that? :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Olishi4 wrote: »
    Ah I don't mind REM. I only had the album Monster and there were a few good ones on that.

My brother bought me their greatest hits when I was about 17 which he listened to quite a bit himself. He had a habit of buying me CDs that he kind of wanted himself but didn't like that much to buy for himself ha :)

Anyway the one song that I really did like was Shiny Happy People and it wasn't even in that greatest hits! Why do bands do that? :/

Dunno, but I bet you that Stype guy had something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

The Rolling Stones and Blur. Just meh.

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Blur. Just meh.

I didn't like Blur as a teenager but appreciate them more now.

I love this one called Sing from Trainspotting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YdrFpPJgxC4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Prince. I never liked him and I never understood the Prince V Michael Jackson thing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Primal Scream... I'm ALLERGIC! Just ugh, can't fathom the appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Jaysus, there's loads but the main one that stands out is Queen. Total horsesh!te.

Rock band me hole-
    Radio gaga, Bicycle, pretentious muck.
    Rock you, champions, crowd pandering spew.

I've no idea how they became as big as they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Jeepers. There's loads that spring to mind.

The Who: Apart from the odd song I can't get into them.

The Smiths: Morrissey is a conceited arse.

Blur: They do have a few undeniably brilliant songs - Tender, This is a Low, The Universal - but by and large they do very little for me. It's weird because I can appreciate how they had talent, were able to write fairly good tunes but if I never heard another Blur album again I think I'd be alright. Too much of them trying to hard perhaps.

Was a metalhead growing up and could never understand the appeal of Iron Maiden, just seemed like cheesy stuff to me.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Dunno, but I bet you that Stype guy had something to do with it.

You're right! :)

"Lead singer Michael Stipe isn't too fond of his group's 1991 hit—in fact, he appeared on a 1995 episode of Space Ghost and announced “I hate that song.” Today he tempers his dislike a bit, saying that he prefers not to say anything bad about songs he doesn’t like because there might be a fan out there to whom that song is very important and has a particular meaning. Instead he now says that “Shiny Happy People” has “limited appeal” for him, and adds that it was the one song that the entire group agreed should not be included on their Greatest Hits compilation."

http://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=51906

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Oasis. All day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

U2, Christ I hate them.

Coldplay, Christ I hate them.

Oasis, Christ I hate them.

REM, Christ I hate them.

Depeche Mode, Christ I LOVE them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,317 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The Smiths have some genuinely great songs, but once Morrissey opens his mouth to sing them I lose interest. It doesn't matter how good the songs are, I just can't get past the fact that the guy is a worse singer than me, which is some achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

This thread was always only going go to one way.......just a difference of tastes, due in no small way to the different ages of the posters.

The Who- One of the best bands yet.

REM- I really like them. Document and Green were two brilliant albums. On 'Shiny.....' I like the song. Fun, upbeat dance track. It was more of a collaboration between REM and the excellent Kate Pierson (B52's), than a pure REM song.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

1.618 wrote: »
    This thread was always only going go to one way.......just a difference of tastes, due in no small way to the different ages of the posters.

I 'should' really like Foo fighters. I was the right age at the time, into that type of music, and liked the first single. But since then a twenty year career has just passed me by, and nothing I've heard since has piqued my interest.

Similar story with Oasis, after their debut album.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Primal Scream... I'm ALLERGIC! Just ugh, can't fathom the appeal.

Ads for their upcoming gig are everywhere, they have me haunted :mad:

On a separate note, watching the Mercury Music Prize ceremony here and The 1975 are playing. Two number one albums and a Mercury nomination. WTAF. What's worse is that I don't believe I've ever met anyone who actually likes them.

EDIT: Their nomination was a fan vote, it seems. That makes more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Beyonce, Robbie Williams, Cheryl Cole.
    All three make my skin crawl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Foo Fighters. Boring middle of the road radio rock that I just can't get interested in and everyone goes mad for them. It's sad because all the members of that band were in far more intersting bands before the Foos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I will probably be torched for saying this but Bruce bloody Springsteen, never got all that "Boss" ****e, his songs sound all the same to me and he sounds constipated when he sings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's weird the way you "grow out" of some music. I loved Blur and Oasis in the 90s, but almost feel embarrassed by them now. Blur still have a handful of songs I'd listen to.
    The Clash are a band I hated when I was younger, but love some of their stuff now. Still a few dodgy tracks/albums though.

But Foo Fighters are the ones I just can't understand the following. Bland boring stuff and I can genuinely say I don't like 1 of their songs. Not offensively bad, just boring. Some big bands I never got into that were mentioned in this thread would be REM, RHCP, U2, Prince, Queen and Bruce Springsteen but I can see they have a few good songs and understand why people like them. But Foo Fighters? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

youtube! wrote: »
    I will probably be torched for saying this but Bruce bloody Springsteen, never got all that "Boss" ****e, his songs sound all the same to me and he sounds constipated when he sings.

He has a few good tunes, none of which he plays live anymore. Go listen to State Trooper or Streets of Philadelphia. I like that kind of stuff he's done. But Born To Run and all that sh!te I've no interest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭JoannieG

U2 - can't see what others see in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Talking heads. Cannot stand them!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Edel

The Beatles

• Registered Users Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Arghus wrote: »
    Jeepers. There's loads that spring to mind.

The Who: Apart from the odd song I can't get into them.

The Smiths: Morrissey is a conceited arse.

Blur: They do have a few undeniably brilliant songs - Tender, This is a Low, The Universal - but by and large they do very little for me. It's weird because I can appreciate how they had talent, were able to write fairly good tunes but if I never heard another Blur album again I think I'd be alright. Too much of them trying to hard perhaps.

Was a metalhead growing up and could never understand the appeal of Iron Maiden, just seemed like cheesy stuff to me.

Their first two albums Iron Maiden and Killers was a lot heavier and rawer with their first singer Paul Di'anno. With a user name like yourself, you just got to be a Wishbone Ash fan, am I right. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Lackey wrote: »
    Edel
    Who's Edel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

A big REM, Who, Smiths and Blur fan here so shower me in hate. New adventures in Hifi is possibly my favorite album though ive never been sure why just get drawn to it every now and again. Always hated Shiny Happy People though.

A band I could never warm to were the Ramones.

Advertisement