Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media no contract payment

Options
  • 13-09-2016 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

We signed up to Virgin Media about 3 years ago. We only ever signed one contract with them and when we had trouble with there service about 2 years later we decided to change. It was then we noticed that are contract was up. We hadn't been informed of this. So technically we'd no contract for a year and still paid. We followed procedure in cancelling and gave them the 30 days notice. My question is since we'd no contract are we obligated to pay the remaining month bill?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Chihiro wrote: »
    My question is since we'd no contract are we obligated to pay the remaining month bill?

Yes you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

We signed up to Virgin Media about 3 years ago. We only ever signed one contract with them and when we had trouble with there service about 2 years later we decided to change. It was then we noticed that are contract was up. We hadn't been informed of this. So technically we'd no contract for a year and still paid. We followed procedure in cancelling and gave them the 30 days notice. My question is since we'd no contract are we obligated to pay the remaining month bill?
    In common with most(maybe all) providers of service ,you went onto a rolling monthly contract after your initial contract period was up.
    So,should you pay for the last month's service?YES

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Chihiro

vandriver wrote: »
    In common with most(maybe all) providers of service ,you went onto a rolling monthly contract after your initial contract period was up.
    So,should you pay for the last month's service?YES

Thanks for the reply. Even if they didn't tell us our contract was up? I'm just confused as I can't see in the agreement anything about paying monthly for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭PedroDublin

Thanks for the reply. Even if they didn't tell us our contract was up? I'm just confused as I can't see in the agreement anything about paying monthly for the service.

The agreement would be you using the service and paying for it. As mentioned there is no need for a contract or for them to notify you, unless you specifically cancel it the common practice is to keep on with the service on a rolling basis

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

They did tell you when you signed up??? 12/18/24 months

e.g. Sign up Jan 2015. You know your finished Jan 2016.

You want to not pay for a service because at the end of the contract they didn't expressly write to you and say "your contract is up. Thanks". Did you keep using the service after the contract finished?

Yes? There's your answer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Does it say in the agreement they have to tell you the contact is up? I bet it doesn't.

Yes you have to pay for the full term of your service including the 30 day notice period.

I'll read the terms and conditions,so you don't have to.

http://prnt.sc/chfu0x

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Would be a very amusing world indeed if telephone and broadband company's just stopped all services as soon as 12 month contracts were up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Cabaal wrote: »
    Would be a very amusing world indeed if telephone and broadband company's just stopped all services as soon as 12 month contracts were up

but thats not really the point the OP was making.

the op was asking should they not have been informed the fixed term contract was expiring (and moving to a rolling contract).

OP- in short no. As Cabaal says it would be very amusing (for a brief period)..but companies dont make money by cutting you off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Your contract continues indefinitely until either party chooses to terminate it.

One of the terms of your contract is that there is a minimum term, e.g. 12/18/24 months.

Once the minimum term no longer applies this does not alter the underlying contract in any way.

This will have been explained quite clearly in the contract terms and conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The wording is around a 'minimum' contract never a fixed term one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

daheff wrote: »
    the op was asking should they not have been informed the fixed term contract was expiring (and moving to a rolling contract).

The OP already agreed to a 30 day rolling contract when they signed up to the service, when they agreed to the T&C's. As such they've already been "informed". Its standard in the industry for phone, broadband, mobile etc that when a minimum term ends (6, 12, 18 or 24month) a customer moves onto a monthly rolling period instead.

How anyone can get through life without knowing this especially when they agree to it is beyond me,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

The OP already agreed to a 30 day rolling contract when they signed up to the service, when they agreed to the T&C's. As such they've already been "informed". Its standard in the industry for phone, broadband, mobile etc that when a minimum term ends (6, 12, 18 or 24month) a customer moves onto a monthly rolling period instead.

I know that, & you know that...but apparently the OP didnt.

How anyone can get through life without knowing this especially when they agree to it is beyond me,

People generally dont read the T&Cs of contracts and are then somewhat surprised as to what they agreed to.

Similarily a lot of people sign up to apps & websites and just click ok on the legal stuff and get caught out with things happening that they didnt expect.

In anyways, even if people did read the legals, most wouldnt understand what they are saying as its written for lawyers so that they can argue with other lawyers (and charge stupid amounts of money over the argument)

daheff wrote: »
    I know that, & you know that...but apparently the OP didnt.

People generally dont read the T&Cs of contracts and are then somewhat surprised as to what they agreed to.

Similarily a lot of people sign up to apps & websites and just click ok on the legal stuff and get caught out with things happening that they didnt expect.

In anyways, even if people did read the legals, most wouldnt understand what they are saying as its written for lawyers so that they can argue with other lawyers (and charge stupid amounts of money over the argument)

http://prnt.sc/chfu0x

Nothing there that's complicated .

Advertisement