Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor insurance on 15 year old car with NCT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

JustMac wrote: »
    I just insured my 2001 Toyota Corolla with Allianz for €404 with all the extras (Comprehensive, No Claims Bonus Protection, Breakdown Assist, Named Driver Cover (Spouse), €500 excess, etc.) 42 yo male, 9 Years NCB.

I was with 123.ie for a few years but the best they could come up with was €605. Originally they had sent me my document stating 6 years NCB but when I wrote threatening to complain to Financial Ombudsman they emailed me the following day with a letter showing 9 years NCB. This helped bring down my allianz quote considerably.

I did note on the Allianz website that it said that the car couldn't be more than 15 years old. I too am worried about what will happen next year as the car is running fine and practically costing nothing to keep on the road.

How much would a 2001 Toyota Corolla be worth? Just curious as you went comprehensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

If you have fully comp can you only claim for the value of the car or can you lob in a personal injury claim too? If you can it makes sense to have comprehensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Some insurers are/were more expensive if you opt for TPFT - they regard you as a more risky driver if you don't consider your car to be worth claiming for.
    Some insurers lump in breakdown/driving other cars/ windscreen plus other stuff with fully comp and aren't all that much more expensive for what you're getting.

Other insurers imply that you are a scammer and a scumbag for driving an older car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Musketeer4 wrote: »
    If you have fully comp can you only claim for the value of the car or can you lob in a personal injury claim too? If you can it makes sense to have comprehensive.

You can't claim for personal injuries from your own policy however most insurers will apply 'medical expenses' cover for the driver on a comprehensive policy. The limits are generally between €500 and €1000.

Personal injuries to passengers will always be covered regardless of the cover on the car itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Nothing stopping someone getting all their buddies into their 94 corolla and planting it in the ditch and then they all can claim off his insurance and each gives him a cut of the payout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its completely random. Asking people in the office who are all of a similar age with similar older cars, the range of premium increases ranges from nothing to doubling it.

Mostly it depends when you renewed. The more recent renewals were all much more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I can't afford another car. I am a safe middle-aged female driver with a huge NCB, so I can afford the insurance. But I have three choices when my little Yaris turns 15... I can continue to insure it with my existing insurer for whatever price they want as long as they choose to insure it, I can buy a new car for more money than I have, or I can buy an old banger and use it up for two or three years until it too turns 15. I'm don't make very much and my husband is out of work and we have only the one car. I'm just not sure what I'll do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I use my car so little if the insurance went up to much in just buy a better bicycle maybe an electric one. Only problem would be losing my no claims. I could always alternate being the main driver on other cars though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭gussieg

Trying to get insurance on a 93 subaru vivio, which only has a 0.6 l engine was impossible. Even though I thought it would be classic as its 23 years old, I was told no, and because it's a Subaru, I was told all Japanese cars were not eligible for classic cover from the 3 companies I contacted by phone, axa, Carole Nash and first Ireland. So good luck getting that 94 corolla covered.

gussieg wrote: »
    Trying to get insurance on a 93 subaru vivio, which only has a 0.6 l engine was impossible. Even though I thought it would be classic as its 23 years old, I was told no, and because it's a Subaru, I was told all Japanese cars were not eligible for classic cover from the 3 companies I contacted by phone, axa, Carole Nash and first Ireland. So good luck getting that 94 corolla covered.

2018, picture it -
    *hello, I'd like to insure a Mazda RX7 as a classic
    -We don't regard them as classics and won't insure them.
    *Ford focus mk1?
    -Sure thing!

LOLs, picture it in twenty years time.

*Hello, I'd like to insure a Nissan Qashqai as a classic.
    -Umm, I'm afraid we won't insure japanese cars as classics.
    *Really? It has a renault engine and it's built in the uk?
    -Well, it still has a japanese name on it sir.
    *OK, how about a Renault Kadjar.
    -No problem sir!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

laoisfan wrote: »
    How much would a 2001 Toyota Corolla be worth? Just curious as you went comprehensive.

I put it down as €2000 but I presume it would be hard to get half that if I went to sell it.

I went comprehensive as I couldn't get the NCB protection without being comprehensive. It was about €20 extra for comprehensive and €30 for NCB protection. I thought it was worth it.

You could go to another crowd and be robbed for the comprehensive versus tpft, or go to yet another crowd and be robbed for tpft versus comp (tbh I'm not sure if this is still a feature of the market, but it was).

And they ALL have stats to back up these policies - funny how they can all magic up whatever stats they want to suit a particular opinion. I'd love to be at a meeting where they discuss these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Just tried to insure a 97 Merc, as a main weapon, with a classic policy through First Ireland.

They have changed their criteria, and won't accept certain 15 year old cars for classic.
    Basically, you now definitely need to own a main car, and the car needs to be 20 years old.

They were sound to deal with however.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gavman1

Triangle wrote: »
    Perhaps older cars don't have the newer safety features that the newer cars do
    Perhaps its the fact that people driving older cars do so because they're cheaper and also reduce the costs on tyres and services
    Perhaps its the fact that some fraudsters can pickup a cheap car and have an easy 'accident'

There's a lot of potential scenarios out there - I'd start from the position that the Insurance Companies are not turning away business for no reason and maybe they have some stats to back this up.

I have worked in an Insurance company, so do have some knowledge of the workings - and I don't think they are angels and get things right all the time. But they do want business!

Yes they want business but they want no risk business which defeats the whole purpose of insurance. It's akin to health insurance companies only taking young perfectly healthy people and telling them to take a hike when they hit 40.btw there is no proof that older cars are more likely to end up in a claim.thats bull****.i would love to see the stats for that one.i used to work in a breakers yard and I can tell you that even with people just scrapping older cars,the number of cars under 10 years old with accident damage was far greater than that of cars in the 15 yo bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

It will just push people who can't afford to change cars to drive uninsured! Our 2nd car is a 2001 micra, 53k miles and flies through nct's,they actually laugh when we bring it in.
    Last year f/c was 290, this year 520 was best i could get. Its used for a school run only, we live 1.2mile from school,rural location. So what happens when i can't get it covered? Am i going to scrap a perfectly good car??
    Am I f*ck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

98 Starlet insured with RSA. 55k on the clock.

Would like to know more about NI insurance companies, especially if the market here decides to collude to deny insurance to older cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gavman1

long_b wrote: »
    98 Starlet insured with RSA. 55k on the clock.

Would like to know more about NI insurance companies, especially if the market here decides to collude to deny insurance to older cars.

Me to.its only when your backs again a wall that the loopholes appear lol

Ginger83 wrote: »
    It will just push people who can't afford to change cars to drive uninsured! Our 2nd car is a 2001 micra, 53k miles and flies through nct's,they actually laugh when we bring it in.
    Last year f/c was 290, this year 520 was best i could get. Its used for a school run only, we live 1.2mile from school,rural location. So what happens when i can't get it covered? Am i going to scrap a perfectly good car??
    Am I f*ck!!!

Had taken a car off the road, decided to cycle to the train station instead, 3 miles up the road, rural.

So a year and a half later...decided to get a small car (sick of getting soaked cycling) and approaching 2-year limit at which I lose my NCB.

Got 1998 Nissan Micra 1 litre, 105k on the clock, few months left on the NCT - got TPFT for €423.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭alpha13

Triangle wrote: »
    Perhaps older cars don't have the newer safety features that the newer cars do
    Perhaps its the fact that people driving older cars do so because they're cheaper and also reduce the costs on tyres and services
    Perhaps its the fact that some fraudsters can pickup a cheap car and have an easy 'accident'

There's a lot of potential scenarios out there - I'd start from the position that the Insurance Companies are not turning away business for no reason and maybe they have some stats to back this up.

I have worked in an Insurance company, so do have some knowledge of the workings - and I don't think they are angels and get things right all the time. But they do want business!

rubbish... anyone wanting to scam can still do it without an older car needed!!! and you said it yourself..they want buisness..aka MONEY. older cars valued less so no high premium on the car so LESS MONEY made.. a new car with higher value is worth more so more money gotten from policy or from claims that might be put through... again... MONEY!!!
    something they WONT get much of for themselves with older cars.. thats why it is happening... dont kid yourself to the contrary!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

laoisfan wrote: »
    Had taken a car off the road, decided to cycle to the train station instead, 3 miles up the road, rural.

So a year and a half later...decided to get a small car (sick of getting soaked cycling) and approaching 2-year limit at which I lose my NCB.

Got 1998 Nissan Micra 1 litre, 105k on the clock, few months left on the NCT - got TPFT for €423.

Hi, who was that with?
    A company refusing to insure a car with a valid nct makes a mockery of the whole nct system! why bother with it at all so

• Advertisement

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Hi, who was that with?
    A company refusing to insure a car with a valid nct makes a mockery of the whole nct system! why bother with it at all so

AXA - they requested copies of the NCT, Car Registration & NCB, which was grand, fired off emails and they were happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Conor Faughnan (from the AA) gave that as the reason a few months ago on the last word...

Mr. Faughnan's command of logic is nearly as tenuous as the average motor insurance actuary's at times. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Deliberate crash for cash schemes are NOT a plausible reason.

Point, SC. Furthermore, as 15-year-old cars, for example, become uninsurable and therefore effectively unavailable, the next batch approaching that point - 10, 12 years old, say - start to, guess what? Get cheap. And so forth, until no-one is able to drive anything more than two years old because of the Big Bad Scammers. Come on, please - there has to be a better, more sophisticated and properly targeted answer than the current outrageous carry-on.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Point, SC. Furthermore, as 15-year-old cars, for example, become uninsurable and therefore effectively unavailable, the next batch approaching that point - 10, 12 years old, say - start to, guess what? Get cheap. And so forth, until no-one is able to drive anything more than two years old because of the Big Bad Scammers. Come on, please - there has to be a better, more sophisticated and properly targeted answer than the current outrageous carry-on.

Eliminate older cars, and as much driver error as possible. Plenty of telemetry to point the finger when there is an accident...
    Insurers will be happy once we all switch to cars as a subscription service via autonomous electric cars I guess.

At which point I expect to fantastically creative interpretations of stats on house insurance claims and other businesses hahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Eliminate older cars, and as much driver error as possible. Plenty of telemetry to point the finger when there is an accident...
    Insurers will be happy once we all switch to cars as a subscription service via autonomous electric cars I guess.

At which point I expect to fantastically creative interpretations of stats on house insurance claims and other businesses hahaha.

Oh, it's like that discredited HR theory that you can get a top-notch workforce by doing frequent periodic assessments and getting rid of the bottom fifth, regardless of their actual performance. There are only so many customers and so many cars. What we'll see happen is that people eventually won't be able to afford to drive at all, then the insurance companies will sniff that the Irish market isn't "profitable" and withdraw from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Both Government & Insurance companies (and car garages) want people to replace their cars within the 15 years.....(It generates more money for both of them)

They don't want people keeping the old cars on the road even if they are fully roadworthy.

Thankfully more Northern Insurance companies are now covering the south & giving people some chance of not being completely ripped off.

We were told, the NCT was brought in to make older cars safer & now they want to illuminate the older cars!

Which Northern insurance companies are insuring cars in the South?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

They claim to have stats for everything "a citroen c5 diesel is a high performance vehicle sir" ... "electronic engineers are a very high risk occupation 50% loading" .... but nobody is allowed to see these magical stats.

...exactly, I've been refused insurance on my 01 TT by Aviva in the last week on the same grounds.

Legally & technically, by dint of it having an NCT, it is the same standard as a 4 year old car (there being only 1 test applicable to all cars), yet insurance companies persist in this nonsense.

I've asked them for anything to support their claim that the 14yr old+ cars are a source of higher claims but - amazingly - they can't seem to be able to 'share' that info with me. How convenient. My point to them was that they refused cover solely based on the first two digits of the number plate, and so took no cognisance of me/licence/advanced qualifications/history/ncb/nct/car make/model or usage.

In other words, they're spouting BS.

This the same Aviva who penalise community first responders by loading them by 20% btw - http://www.thejournal.ie/community-first-responders-car-insurance-3002041-Sep2016/

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I had problems getting insurance last year (2015) on a 01 A6, it has 110k miles on the clock, up to date NCT, maintained regardless of cost and a full service completed every year no matter how little mileage I do on it.

I put just under 5k miles on the car last year as I live in the city centre, walk to work and its kept in a secure underground car park with 24 hour onsite security.

My previous insurer put my insurance up from €520 to €780, they claimed as the car was 15 years old it would be a higher risk to insure but I informed them that the car would not be 15 years old until July of 2016, silence on the phone, "emm ehh ummm let me come back to you sir.. can I put you on hold" :rolleyes:

The came back and said they could suddenly give me the insurance for €680, told em to shove it and ended up getting it for €570 from Post Insurance with more benefits included.

This year I am curious to see what bullsh*t they come out with. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Thread moved. Here's my info from August when insuring my 15 year old 325Ci

AIG ended up being even cheap than the initial quote after calling. 700ish is what I paid. Happy days.

What the actual fcuck! I am 9 years older (36), hold a license since 1999, never had a single claim, live in Dublin as well and if I tried to insure a 325Ci from 2001 they'd likely call the CIA on me saying I'm driving a rusting, crumbling Space Shuttle with underwing nuclear warheads - let alone give any quote :D

Heck, a lot of companies refuse me a quote with my 2006 Alfa 159, with only a 1.9 Petrol engine, and the current best quote I have is 900ish!

I can't understand why some people keep trying to deny the total randomness of this farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

Musketeer4 wrote: »
    Nothing stopping someone getting all their buddies into their 94 corolla and planting it in the ditch and then they all can claim off his insurance and each gives him a cut of the payout.

ffs

Advertisement