Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor insurance on 15 year old car with NCT

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

You know it's amazing the stupidity of it tho.

People who drive 15 year old cars are doing so in 99% of cases as it's all they can afford. Keep refusing cars at certain ages and they will lose a ton of money as people will either drive uninsured or get rid.

Then they'll be scratching their heads at profit drops and decide to load it onto other newer cars policies and again probably lose the 10 year old car market and who knows the ideas they'll get next probably claim the market isn't profitable enough but won't acknowledge it's their own **** up.

Then the government will be there with their mouths agape wondering why are their so many suddenly having to sign onto the dole, due to the fact they can't travel to work.

My local FG TD told me he's had loads of people onto him over the insurance companies carry on and he's said the Government are planning a serious investigation into the whole industry are even they behind closed doors have said the piss is been taken.

While he might be a decent skin I'll believe it when I see it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Got my renewal from broker this morning, up €147 to €581 (Allianze quoted €717). Paid €448 last year (comprehensive for over 20 years +NCB, bought my 01 1.6 focus when it was 6 months old. 10,600 miles when I bought it, 69,400 now 15 years later. Clean NCT every year.) :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Isn't a clean nct required for everyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

beauf wrote: »
    Isn't a clean nct required for everyone?

eh... No.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭NLC1072

Ford Galaxy 1.9tdi 2001, how much do you reckon? 1000, 1100, heck 1500?

Nope....

1820 euros. That was after bargaining them down from over 2000

I'm 26 with three kids living in Waterford county... can't afford another car, need seven seats for wife and the kids in car seats to fit.

• Advertisement

eh... No.

What's a clean nct then???

As it relates to insurance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

NLC1072 wrote: »
    Ford Galaxy 1.9tdi 2001, how much do you reckon? 1000, 1100, heck 1500?

Nope....

1820 euros. That was after bargaining them down from over 2000

I'm 26 with three kids living in Waterford county... can't afford another car, need seven seats for wife and the kids in car seats to fit.

The expert and infallible analysis that is applied to insurance stats makes you indistinguishable from a serial fraudster. There is absolutely no way they could establish if you were a genuine driver based on your driving history etc.

Or... they reckon you don't have much choice and will have to suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

beauf wrote: »
    What's a clean nct then???

As it relates to insurance...

It sails through the nct every year. Such low milage every year the nct testers nearly laugh when the see it coming in for test

mayo.mick wrote: »
    It sails through the nct every year. Such low milage every year the nct testers nearly laugh when the see it coming in for test

But how does that have bearing on insurance? I've a 17yr old car under 100k and gets through the NCT every year. I'd say there's a lot of similar cars.

But as Special says, the insurance goes up because they can. Theres rarely any pattern to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭k974

Haven't lived in ireland in 15yrs but have a car there as I come and go and it's 2002 with 15yrs ncb and is a total pain dealing with em each year along with 3 avoid stickers on the windscreen

What i don't understand is if a car doesn't need an nct for the first 4 yrs of its life it could do 400'000km in theory without any maintenance but a car that's say a 2000 car has to be checked by government every 12 months ,

Where is the logic in that ? If it's all about road safety

Or it's ireland and they don't do logic there

And for the record I had trouble insuring my car cos I'm unemployed in ireland , I hold an irish license and a couple of foreign ones and move between ireland and 2 other countries for work self employed and the other 2 countries I can keep cheap cars there for occasional use no problem ireland it's a total drama with 3 stupid stickers on The windscreen

3 stickers on the windscreen and n and l plates that take up half the screen the size of them where else would you See it only ireland !!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement