Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17yr old babysitter wants €20/hr??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Do people actually leave their kids alone with random strangers who advertise on the internet?

I wouldn't know,maybe stick a thread up and ask.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I would contact the hotel and see if they can offer someone. That is a crazy price.

Hi, i've just done that. Seemingly the only person that does their childminding is one of the receptionists and she also charges €20/hr.

Maybe its the going rate in that area, i'm going to start advertising myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Sorry about that. My bad for thinking this was a public forum and that we live in a country of freedom of speech and expression.
    Please forgive me.... I'm such a horrible person for expressing that I put my children's safety paramount at all times.
    In Future I will suppress my notions and opinions just so I don't offend you oh wise one.

PS. If all these forums bug you then why do you still come back to them? If something bugs me I cut it out of my life. But I suppose some people like to moan about others and their opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I'll ask again! What were you hoping to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 skindoh

The boom is back if that's the going rate for babysitters!

You'd be better off asking a neighbours child if they could babysit for half the price.
    If that fails just spend the €20 an hour you would have been charged by the babysitter on a take away and a carry out and enjoy the night in at home.

I'd be sick if a spent that much on a babysitter and taxis just for a few hours away.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

idnkph wrote:
    Sorry about that. My bad for thinking this was a public forum and that we live in a country of freedom of speech and expression. Please forgive me.... I'm such a horrible person for expressing that I put my children's safety paramount at all times. In Future I will suppress my notions and opinions just so I don't offend you oh wise one.

Except you aren't posting in a free public forum. There are rules and charters. And someone asked for an opinion on cost of babysitting. Not your opinion on their parenting values. You're a parent. They're a parent. All adults. They don't need your tuppence worth on it.

I'll ask again! What were you hoping to pay?

Hi, i've paid €10/hr at my wedding and €12.50/hr another time. I dont have huge experience in this as they are the only 2 i've used.
    I've never used 1 at the weekend but i suppose €15 would be tops, its before midnight,cash paid without a receipt so i think €20 shows me the girl thinks we're stuck.
    We dont have to go out, but it has to be affordable too.

peteb2 wrote: »
    Except you aren't posting in a free public forum. There are rules and charters. And someone asked for an opinion on cost of babysitting. Not your opinion on their parenting values. You're a parent. They're a parent. All adults. They don't need your tuppence worth on it.

Thank you, as i said previously this is advertised on a childminding website with garda vetting and references. To even looking for a minder you need to become a member and pay a fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Hi, i've paid €10/hr at my wedding and €12.50/hr another time. I dont have huge experience in this as they are the only 2 i've used.
    I've never used 1 at the weekend but i suppose €15 would be tops, its before midnight,cash paid without a receipt so i think €20 shows me the girl thinks we're stuck.
    We dont have to go out, but it has to be affordable too.

At that rate you could probably get another nights b&b at the hotel, it will be an expensive meal / drinks for you and your hubby, €80 for the babysitter I'd rather stay in tbh.
    I meant to ask how old are the kids? would they be old enough to leave in the room with a baby monitor? if you did not leave the hotel and the room is close enough to the bar / restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Boards is a discussion forum, not a question and answer forum. Let the conversation flow for God's sake.

The question has been answered several times over at this stage, so should the thread be closed?

• Advertisement

idnkph wrote: »
    Sorry about that. My bad for thinking this was a public forum and that we live in a country of freedom of speech and expression.
    Please forgive me.... I'm such a horrible person for expressing that I put my children's safety paramount at all times.
    In Future I will suppress my notions and opinions just so I don't offend you oh wise one.

PS. If all these forums bug you then why do you still come back to them? If something bugs me I cut it out of my life. But I suppose some people like to moan about others and their opinions.

You wouldn't have been corrected if you had have just answered the question you were asked.
    The thought that if you have nothing constructive to add jog on comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Ginger83 wrote: »
    We are staying at a hotel in Waterford in a few weeks. We have 2 young girls but hope to get out to dinner and a few drinks.

I've been this soldier. Did it once, booked the hotel babysitter and it was a disaster. I wouldn't do it again and I definitely wouldn't trust a stranger unless they had proven track record, Garda vetting etc which sounds like your 17 year old has to be fair.

This is just supply and demand, nothing more and nothing less. Babysitters (like every other service provider) want to maximise earnings so will propose a fee which reflects the circumstances. If you were a regular customer wanting a babysitter from 7pm to 10pm Wednesday nights and lived near a Luas/bus service you'd probably have a ton of potential sitters to choose from and they would have to compete on price to win your business.

You however are a once off customer, wanting a babysitting service on the most social night of the week and there are very few (two?) babysitters with the right qualifications/references etc prepared to offer their services that night and even then they are only interested in doing a once off gig for a stranger if they can command a premium. C'est la vie.

If you are already booking a family room is there any chance you could bring along a 14-15 year old niece or nephew who would get a day away, get to use the hotel pool etc, a free pizza (or whatever you're going to be feeding your own kids) and in return they stay in and mind the kids whilst you head out for dinner and a few drinks? Better to have someone you trust who can call you if they need you (I assume you won't be straying too far from the hotel and won't be getting hammered??) than a once off 17 year old stranger regardless of their Garda vetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Sounds like babysitting is a more skilled job that a lot of carpenters and plumbers out there.....

I'd ask to see her VAT number OP.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

idnkph wrote: »
    There is no free speech. There are rules. One of those rules is follow moderator instructions.
    Another rule is to report a post if it's in breach of the charter or a moderator instruction.
    sbs2010 wrote: »
    Boards is a discussion forum, not a question and answer forum. Let the conversation flow for God's sake.

The question has been answered several times over at this stage, so should the thread be closed?
    Done before I have to start handing out infractions because people can't be civil.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement