Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do some parents share a childminder?

• 13-09-2016 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Hi all

We have two kids. One is nearly two and the other is 3 months. We have never had a childminder but now with the second little one we may need one, especially when my wife goes back to work in 3 months (she is on leave for 6 months). We are thinking of getting a part-time childminder (like half day from 8 to 1pm for example) but it is so expensive that we were thinking why not share the cost with other parents so there are 4 kids and each of us pays half. Also it is nice to have kids to have someone to play with so I think it is a great idea. Does this get done at all in Ireland?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Do you want the minder in your own home or in the minders home?
    In the minders home they can take on a few kids and can earn 15k tax exempt so tend to be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Do you want the minder in your own home or in the minders home?
    In the minders home they can take on a few kids and can earn 15k tax exempt so tend to be cheaper.

We don't mind really so long as we thought that the environment was rightly suited of course.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Then I would look for a childminder www.childminding.ie is a good resource for finding registered,insured childminders.
    A minder in your home is a Nanny and an employee in your own home and you are liable for employers PRSI etc

Then I would look for a childminder www.childminding.ie is a good resource for finding registered,insured childminders.
    A minder in your home is a Nanny and an employee in your own home and you are liable for employers PRSI etc

How much is PRSI? Is this even for part-time?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

armabelle wrote: »
    How much is PRSI? Is this even for part-time?

Employers prsi is ten percent of gross pay

So if you pay 100 a week for a childminder in your house it costs you 110

You'd also have to submit tax returns and do p60s etc

Most childminders work in their own home

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Employers prsi is ten percent of gross pay

So if you pay 100 a week for a childminder in your house it costs you 110

You'd also have to submit tax returns and do p60s etc

Most childminders work in their own home

jaysus, no wonder birth rates are falling in the 1st world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

We share a childminder but both families are charged 100% - this is for full days.

Do you mean u will look to share with a family who will send their kids in the afternoon? Otherwise I don't see how u will be charged less for sharing. There may be a discount if you're only doing half days - that might suit a childminder who has older kids to collect after school.

For a nanny it would probably work ou cheaper as there are 2 families to share the cost but for a childminder it wouldn't really.
    A childminder is self employed in her own home so she does her own taxes.
    Is it in Dublin?

For a nanny it would probably work ou cheaper as there are 2 families to share the cost but for a childminder it wouldn't really.
    A childminder is self employed in her own home so she does her own taxes.
    Is it in Dublin?

No not in Dublin. I might have confused child minder with "nanny" then. I thought childminders looked after your kids at your home.

armabelle wrote: »
    No not in Dublin. I might have confused child minder with "nanny" then. I thought childminders looked after your kids at your home.

Nope generally a childminder works from their home and a nanny from yours .
    Depending on where you are based childminders may not be crazy expensive .

• Advertisement

Nope generally a childminder works from their home and a nanny from yours .
    Depending on where you are based childminders may not be crazy expensive .

I live in Portlaoise

So what is the difference between a creache and a childminder? Since essentially they both look after groups of children at their premises?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Childminder used here it's the same for three kids as it was for two (once my lad and the other lad grew up a bit she took on another). Childminder is way cheaper than crèche tho

Advertisement