Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Houston Texans Thread

Options
  • 13-09-2016 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

No Texans thread, so here we go. Need to leech as much knowledge from people as possible to regurgitate as my own to more knowledgable mates.

Now in my second year of being an NFL fan and specifically a Texans fan. Ive stopped spelling them "Heuston" and know maybe half the roster. Progress.

Observations after week one
    - Lamar Miller will fill a huge hole from last season
    - Osweiler looked mixed but over all good. Will be great to hopefully not have 4 guys at QB this season.
    - Fuller looks to have huge potential.

What do people with actual knowledge of the texans/NFL generally think of their prospects this season?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Yay a texan thread!!.... Always wondered what teams do not have their own thread in here!!.

For me the success of their season all depends on #17. If he can play to that salary yee will do OK. I think you've a great HC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Leslie91 wrote:
    For me the success of their season all depends on #17. If he can play to that salary yee will do OK. I think you've a great HC.

Last season we had 4 ropey QBs throwing to mainly just Hopkins so at least this year theres hopefully more options if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Consistency at QB will really help. You've a cracking WR1 and obviously JJ Watt brings a lot to the defence.

I quite like the Texans, was rooting for them as my AFC team for a while but the owner is HORRIFICALLY homophobic so... yeah. No. :P

I quite like the Texans, was rooting for them as my AFC team for a while but the owner is HORRIFICALLY homophobic so... yeah. No.

Yea not great. He is quite old though.... maybe you can like the new owners in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

CardinalJ wrote: »
    - Osweiler looked mixed but over all good. Will be great to hopefully not have 4 guys at QB this season

I had a quick look at the YouTube clip of Osweiler's passes - he seems to have the same issues as he did at the Broncos. He takes too long to go through his progressions, he stares down his receivers and he does not have great pocket presence. Now he does have a strong arm, is accurate and does throw a catchable ball. However a QB going into his fifth year should be sorting out these issues he has. He may improve - but Broncos fans have noted that Siemian played better last Thursday than Osweiler played last season - Osweiler should be significantly better. There is a lot of pressure on Osweiler and the Texans have a lot riding on him developing into the QBOTF - but most of the team's he will be up against this season will have a better defence than the Bears.

• Advertisement

I just dont know enough about AM yet to know about that other than to say Ive read it elsewhere as well.

Hoping his regular starts can help him?

Good weekend over all for the texans. Could maybe have a sniff against the Pats this Thursday?

Osweiler picked off again twice and every time the Texans got to 3rd down in field goal range you felt it was going to be a FG rather than TD.

Id like to see Osweiler throwing long more to Fuller and Hopkins as that seems to cause most defences more problems due to their speed. Maybe thats too high risk.

Good weekend over all for the texans. Could maybe have a sniff against the Pats this Thursday?

Osweiler picked off again twice and every time the Texans got to 3rd down in field goal range you felt it was going to be a FG rather than TD.

Id like to see Osweiler throwing long more to Fuller and Hopkins as that seems to cause most defences more problems due to their speed. Maybe thats too high risk.

Osweiler was Osweiler and there were no indications of any improvement in this game.

The Texans do have a decent defence and go up against a third string Pats QB so should end up 3-0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Is it something like 8 or 9 new starters on the offensive side of the ball for the Texans at the weekend over last year? You'd imagine they should improve a good bit as the season progresses.

Osweiler was Osweiler and there were no indications of any improvement in this game.

Do you think he just wont improve with more game time?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

good start by you guys, looking forward to the divisional game in a couple of weeks, expect our o-line to keep JJ quiet :cool:

good start by you guys, looking forward to the divisional game in a couple of weeks, expect our o-line to keep JJ quiet

Whitney Mercilus and John Simon look great this year as well so hopefully you just put 2/3 guys on JJ all night! I was hoping that our D would be used less this year but it aint going that way at present.

Do you think he just wont improve with more game time?

I am sure he will improve with more games - the question is how much will he improve.

Looking at Osweiler since he played last season including the two games this season he has shown little improvement on the specific issues he has - he takes too long to go through his progressions - he stares down his receivers - he has a slowish wind up - and - he has poor pocket presence. Unless he shows significant improvement over the rest of the season it may turn out that he has a relatively low ceiling.

I am looking at him in comparison with Seimian who has shown up better this season than Osweiler last season. Siemian has a much better pocket presence, he has a quick release and throws a tight spiral, he is quicker at going through progressions and at looking off receivers. Osweiler has a bigger arm and is much more accurate on deep throws - he would be better at play action and bootlegs in the Kubiak offence - but because of his poor pocket presence he tends to take off running too quickly. I think most Broncos fans, if they were given a choice between Siemian and Osweiler at this point would narrowly pick Siemian - they would yearn for the ability of Osweiler to run bootlegs and throw a deep ball because it is a vital part of Kubiak's offence.

Given what the Texans are paying him Osweiler needs to improve significantly and demonstrate that he is capable of being the type of QB they need. I have my doubts and from looking at the highlights last week and the entire game against the Chiefs I see little evidence so far of the improvements he needs to make.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Whitney Mercilus and John Simon look great this year as well so hopefully you just put 2/3 guys on JJ all night! I was hoping that our D would be used less this year but it aint going that way at present.

JJ normally gets a hatful of sacks against us.. hoepfully his injury has slowed him down a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I suspect that the Houston offence has been relying a lot on big plays to the rookie WR, and it will revert to type soon enough, as I don't trust Brock.

The defence looks very good, but not good enough to carry the offence, unless Fuller and Brock take giant strides.

They should win their division, but the AFC is stacked. I have them behind the Pats, Jets, Steelers, Bengals, Broncos and Chiefs.

Uuughh.

Got up and watched first half. Abandoned ship at half time and went back to bed.

Osweiler just reminded me too much of Hoyer from what I saw.

Didnt get a single snap in Pats half while I was watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

WTF lads?..........

• Registered Users Posts: 38,483 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Osweiller was awful last night, main reason for your loss. Pats D was very good last night but your QB made it easy imo.

Leslie91 wrote:
    WTF lads?..........
    Ah shtop. :(
    eagle eye wrote:
    Osweiller was awful last night, main reason for your loss. Pats D was very good last night but your QB made it easy imo.

He was brutal alright.

Shane lechler is too old to be doing that much punting. Im still learning about NFL but my god its v obvious that every time we go to 3rd down were just happy to punt it away on 4.

Lamar Miller was just used all the time to get moving.

keep up the good work lads :P

Texans have a long time to get right for the Titans game which is worrying. .

• Advertisement

So after week 3 Texans have lowest amount of TD's on the entire NFL... Early days but same problems for 3 games.

A loss on the road the the Patriots won't be season defining but you'd hope they can go out and do the titans. Who ever wins that will likely be top of our high calibre division.

Watt potentially gone for season. He had looked totally off the pace in week one, decent in week 2 and the less said about las week the better.

Big loss to our D given how much time its out there.

Watt potentially gone for season. He had looked totally off the pace in week one, decent in week 2 and the less said about las week the better.

Big loss to our D given how much time its out there.

Titans need all the help going TBH!

Osweiler having a stink so far. Same story as first 4 weeks, get 4/5 rushing yards on first two downs, a load of crap on third, punt away.

So, 9 games in 6 & 3 and the feeling has to be that Osweiller is stinking the place up. His stats are just terrible.

Some pundits saying they can see him improving week on week but to my uneducated eye I cant see it.

Raiders in Mexico this Monday. Cant see a win if weve to punt away on 4th almost every time.

End of Texans V Colts is hugely exciting.

Wild AFC South Night.

Actually felt bad for Osweiler before he got taken off. Infuriating but can't be easy.

Still, Savage did a good job although it was only the Jags, who have gone and fired Gus Bradley.

Game v the Titans will be the season.

New Years night gonna be wild

Osweiller Starts v Raiders.

Find the whole player roster thing in NFL mad. The General manager picks who gets signed. So Osweiller gets his huge pay day and the head coach has never met the player.

Head coach then takes the flack and there's fans calling for his head. Seems insane.

Texans haven't picked a QB before round 4 in the draft with Rick Smith as GM, Surely he's the one who should be under pressure to go?

• Advertisement

Man, I have no idea how Rick Smith is keeping his job!

Signs Osweiller and then this mental trade which just shows it all up.

Frees up a heap of cap space but still.

Advertisement