Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Horizon Box and XB1

Options
  • 13-09-2016 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hey!

Did a search in the forum and didn't come up with anything, so apologies if this has been covered already.

Also, new enough to the forum, so apologies for only asking questions so far whilst not exactly contributing much...

Does anyone here have any experience of running a Virgin Media Horizon Box through their XB1?

If so, what's it like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    Hey!

Did a search in the forum and didn't come up with anything, so apologies if this has been covered already.

Also, new enough to the forum, so apologies for only asking questions so far whilst not exactly contributing much...

Does anyone here have any experience of running a Virgin Media Horizon Box through their XB1?

If so, what's it like?

I have no problems. I have one conected by ethernet downstairs and one upstairs using the home plugs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

I have no problems. I have one conected by ethernet downstairs and one upstairs using the home plugs

I think he means running a HDMI cable from the virgin box into the HDMI in port on the Xbox and using the xbox to control the Horizon box. This is what I do as I cannot stand the Horizon UI and remote. The EPG is much easier to control on the xbox. I got an IR media remote control from ebay so that I don't have to use the xbox controller all the time. When I switch on the xbox (with voice control on Kinect), the Horizon box, My AV Amp and my TV all switch on automatically and it automatically goes to OneGuide, which is the Xbox app for watching TV. Works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

bajer101 wrote: »
    I think he means running a HDMI cable from the virgin box into the HDMI in port on the Xbox and using the xbox to control the Horizon box. This is what I do as I cannot stand the Horizon UI and remote. The EPG is much easier to control on the xbox. I got an IR media remote control from ebay so that I don't have to use the xbox controller all the time. When I switch on the xbox (with voice control on Kinect), the Horizon box, My AV Amp and my TV all switch on automatically and it automatically goes to OneGuide, which is the Xbox app for watching TV. Works great.
    Bingo!

Thanks so much. So the OneGuide is better than the Horizon UI? Not that it would be hard, but great to know! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    Bingo!

Thanks so much. So the OneGuide is better than the Horizon UI? Not that it would be hard, but great to know! :)

Yeah, it is much better and much more responsive. The only problem I found with it is that its EPG lists the UK UTV instead of the new Irish UTV, which don't match up. Also, you still have to use the Horizon remote for advanced tasks like scheduling recording or to enter settings, but for general EPG browsing, it is great.

A media remote is a must so you don't have to keep switching on the Xbox controller and running down its batteries. I think this is the one I got on ebay.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-Media-Remote-Control-Controller-DVD-Entertainment-Multimedia-for-XBOX-One-/322178282880?hash=item4b03527580:g:kt4AAOSwXeJXd2CT

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

bajer101 wrote:
    Yeah, it is much better and much more responsive. The only problem I found with it is that its EPG lists the UK UTV instead of the new Irish UTV, which don't match up. Also, you still have to use the Horizon remote for advanced tasks like scheduling recording or to enter settings, but for general EPG browsing, it is great.
    A media remote is a must so you don't have to keep switching on the Xbox controller and running down its batteries. I think this is the one I got on ebay.

Awesome! Much appreciated

• Advertisement
Advertisement