Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bray prom and general area

• 13-09-2016 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭

As a Bray native who hasn't been to the town for over 20 years, can I just compliment whoever looks after the prom.It is absolutely beautiful and a fabulous amenity to have! I was stunned when I saw it lately, keep it up!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

That would be the Town Council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,108 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

BrianDug wrote: »
    That would be the Town Council.

Municipal District. Town Councils were disgracefully abolished in 2014.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I agree.

I hadn't really gone near the prom for years and years - unless meeting up with a friend who wanted to walk there - but this year I've been regularly walking it daytime and evening, and it feels safe and pleasant even on these dark nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Apart from the pointless waste of money cycle track, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

keano_afc wrote: »
    Apart from the pointless waste of money cycle track, of course.

Why is it a waste of money?

I cycle on it regularly and it's great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

It's a dual purpose track - walking and cycling..

Must say, I'm surprised how much it is used, compared to how little use I thought it would get.

It opens up the seafront access more and they've gotten rid of those old bollards and chains.

zoobizoo wrote: »
    It's a dual purpose track - walking and cycling..

Must say, I'm surprised how much it is used, compared to how little use I thought it would get.

It opens up the seafront access more and they've gotten rid of those old bollards and chains.

AFAIK the main part is a cycle path and there is a new footpath to the side. One main problem though is that people walk on the cycle path section which often makes it hard to cycle on.

Still better than cycling on the road. Most complaints will come from motorists who will claim it has taken away parking spaces when it hasn't really.

I think the seafront would be a lot better with less cars parked on it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Its hard enough to park in Bray without having enough car park spaces to allow quick parking by people using the area. Do you want to close down the town entirely?

doolox wrote: »
    Its hard enough to park in Bray without having enough car park spaces to allow quick parking by people using the area. Do you want to close down the town entirely?

Why should a public space like the seafront be dominated by cars?

Anyhow I find there is plenty of parking in Bray but the problem is that people don't want to walk anywhere.

For example, free parking in Florence Road car park, 5 minute walk from the seafront but people will all try and get parking on the seafront and giving the impression there is no parking.

Same as with the main street, I often park in Lidl which has loads of spaces at no cost and is a short walk from the Main Street and is actually quicker than driving than with the chronic traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Its not so much the reduction in parking spaces I have any issue with but the fact that traffic is going to backup a hell of a lot more now due to the reduction in roadwidth. It means that anyone driving slow looking for a parking space or stopped waiting for a parking space cannot now be overtaken/driven around. Not so bad this time of year but Spring Summer on a sunny day the seafront will be a nightmare to drive down. Got a taste of it this Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,678 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Calibos wrote: »
    Its not so much the reduction in parking spaces I have any issue with but the fact that traffic is going to backup a hell of a lot more now due to the reduction in roadwidth. It means that anyone driving slow looking for a parking space or stopped waiting for a parking space cannot now be overtaken/driven around. Not so bad this time of year but Spring Summer on a sunny day the seafront will be a nightmare to drive down. Got a taste of it this Summer.

If only there was an alternative way to get there that either goes on rail and skips traffic, or one that has 2 wheels and also slips traffic and occasionally has its own lane.

ted1 wrote: »
    If only there was an alternative way to get there that either goes on rail and skips traffic, or one that has 2 wheels and also slips traffic and occasionally has its own lane.

You're right. Lets pedestrianise the whole thing. No cars allowed on the Seafront from now on lads and lassies!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Just wondering if the prom has Christmas lights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

No sign of any lights so far :(

Don't remember Christmas lights being ever there. Is there not enough on Main Street and Quinsboro Road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Thanks for the replies.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Don't remember Christmas lights being ever there. Is there not enough on Main Street and Quinsboro Road?

I'm sure there's lovely lights on the main streets but as a visitor to the town they wouldn't tempt me to make the trip specially, whereas lights on the prom would be a must see for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Don't think there have ever been lights put up for Christmas...

They used to be put up along the walk up to Bray Head during the Summerfest

The Prom used to have coloured lights 11 months of the year....except at Christmas, because they would be taken down to be used as Christmas lights on the mainstreet. Up till the late 90's IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Something that I have only noticed recently (as I'm out walking a lot more) is that there are absolutely no bins on the prom north of the aquarium.

There are plenty of the dog litter bins but no actual bins.

I have noticed that people have started putting general litter into the dog bins up that end too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Quick update!

The council have put one of the big solar bins up at end of the railings before the harbour.

The system works!

• Advertisement

Quick update!

The council have put one of the big solar bins up at end of the railings before the harbour.

The system works!

They just installed one at the Albert Ave end of the Albert Walk too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they must have bought a job lot - they've installed loads of them along the seafront in Greystones as well.

Advertisement