Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Busy Roundabout - Rules

• 13-09-2016 11:53am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Approaching a roundabout this morning and the majority of traffic was turning left at 9 o'clock and most of it was coming from 12 and 3. There is a yellow box junction between 6 and 9 as well. I was in the right lane looking to go straight ahead but was blocked by cars who were stopped just before the box junctio on the inside lane. I ended up edging out and waiting for a gap as I was getting nowhere. Yes, I blocked the outside lane, but I wasn't inside the yellow box and had very little choice. If the other cars had of left a gap it would have been fine. Wondering what people reckon was the right course of action here.

Pic below is the roundabout.

roundabout.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

irish_goat wrote: »
    I was in the right lane looking to go straight ahead

There's the problem right there. Right course of action would be approach the roundabout in the correct lane for going straight ahead

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

There's the problem right there. Right course of action would be approach the roundabout in the correct lane for going straight ahead

Sorry, should have clarified, left lane is only for turning left at this roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

irish_goat wrote: »
    Sorry, should have clarified, left lane is only for turning left at this roundabout.

From the looks of the pic in your OP it looks like the yellow box is for traffic in the left lane to exit straight ahead, then some bright spark decided to make it left turn only and screwed it up. In real live most people would do what you did, for the driving test I'd ask my ADI what they think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I thought you weren't meant to enter a round about unless you were able to exit it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭J_R

I thought you weren't meant to enter a round about unless you were able to exit it?

Hi,

Seen this belief a few times on here relating to both roundabouts and ordinary junctions.

Course you can, same as any junction. If you do not enter you are blocking following traffic. Confusion I think is caused because it says a few times in ROTR a Yellow Box Junction when they actually mean a Yellow Box IN a junction. The yellow box is there to allow crossing traffic a free run. (Even if no box, a considerate driver would leave a gap for crossing traffic).

It is only illegal to stop on the actual yellow hatch markings. Outside the box you will not cause any obstruction. Just watch out for pedestrian crossings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement