Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista PC - black screen

Options
  • 13-09-2016 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭

Have a vista pc running my small office stuff, very little saved on the pc. Accounts package is cloud based. Rest is just word, excel documents but has banking and ROS digital certificates saved. Yesterday turning on pc went through the usual starting Windows screen then it went black and left the cursor arrow visible.

I restarted it in safe mode and was able to open the word and excel documents so I copied over what I needed on to a usb stick (However can’t get the digital certs off the machine)

I tried a system restore but after first few screens and bits of whirling of the pc, etc the black screen came back. Nothing more happened for an hour so I turned it off and back on but nothing appears any better. Any suggestions in basic computing English really appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's sadly not an uncommon issue on Vista.

Best bet is to boot from your Vista install DVD, select "repair my computer" (bottom left corner of the window with the "Install" button in the middle), and try the automatic repair. If that doesn't work post back with details of what happened and we'll go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

ok thanks. I'll have a look for the install dvd and report back.

Advertisement