Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small glass reptile cage for hamster?

• 13-09-2016 1:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

I went into a pet shop and was shown a few cages in the shop. The owner suggested a glass cage. Initially, I thought it was quite small but they assured me it would be ideal for a Syrian hamster

It was half price and not in a brand new box

After 24 hrs and phoning various shops and websites. My cage is too small, can get too hot for hamsters. Im noticing it even has a reptile etched into the side

I rang politely to return it but they are having none of it. They claim it's ideal for a Hamster as they need to be out anyway so doesn't matter they are in a small cage. Point blank refuse to accept it's not ideal

I was shown the cage and went by their advice, granted I should have done research prior

I have since bought a proper cage.

Am I in the right to want either store credit or refund due to wrong advice

The worker was pretty rude too

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

They claim it's ideal for a Hamster as they need to be out anyway so doesn't matter they are in a small cage. Point blank refuse to accept it's not ideal

You're probably best off to just try and resell the cage and chalk it up to experience. You could go down the route of small claims court but that's probably more hassle than it's worth tbh.

I'd be very worried about their advice though, they're totally wrong that it "doesn't matter" if the cage is small- you don't let hamsters out in the same way you can with rats. They have zero spatial awareness, they fall off EVERYTHING and they're not really trainable so they get lost and run off quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

You're probably best off to just try and resell the cage and chalk it up to experience. You could go down the route of small claims court but that's probably more hassle than it's worth tbh.

I'd be very worried about their advice though, they're totally wrong that it "doesn't matter" if the cage is small- you don't let hamsters out in the same way you can with rats. They have zero spatial awareness, they fall off EVERYTHING and they're not really trainable so they get lost and run off quickly.

Thanks, looks like I will. Very disappointed with the advice and manner of the shop assistant. Won't be ever recommending them in the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

I'd chalk it down to experience as well and sell the tank on, maybe put negative feedback online if they have a Facebook page or something! It's awful the advice pet shops give out, I saw a lady buy a hutch for a rabbit that was not much bigger than two shoe boxes on the advice of the pet shop!:(. Hamsters in the wild do a lot of running about so the bigger the cage the better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Hamsters in the wild do a lot of running about so the bigger the cage the better!

And that's why you get a cage big enough for a wheel that lets them run without curving their back. Rule of thumb is get the wheels marketed one "species" up in size. If you've robos, get the syrian wheels, if you've a syrian, get the rat wheels. The Karlie Wonderland wooden wheel is by far the best wheel we ever got.

Advertisement