Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a car

• 13-09-2016 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭

Looking to change our car and not sure what to get so looking for some recommendations

Criteria would be;

-automatic
    -higher diving position (SUV/MPV)
    -big enough for two adults, two kids & all that goes with them!
    -not pushed on petrol or diesel
    -budget- see below
    -year 2008+

Currently drive a 2009 Ford C Max, petrol with 90K km. Would be looking to trade this in or sell privately and add about €1 or 2K to either option as currently buying a house to finances are tight. Something around this size or slightly bigger would be what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

TRS30 wrote: »
    Looking to change our car and not sure what to get so looking for some recommendations

Criteria would be;

-automatic
    -budget- see below
    -year 2008+

Currently drive a 2009 Ford C Max, petrol with 90K miles. Would be looking to trade this in or sell privately and add about €1 or 2K to either option as currently buying a house to finances are tight. Something around this size or slightly bigger would be what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Keep the C-Max. If the petrol cost is hitting you, spent that $1K converting it to LPG...

If you really need automatic, you're looking at downgrading a couple of years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

If you do need an automatic, a zafira (in 1.8 petrol guise) should tick a lot of boxes.
    Other model that springs to mind is honda stream, that'd be a jap import however...

Why are you changing?
    What has changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Why are you changing?
    What has changed?

Wife is learning to drive and getting lessons in an automatic and finding it much easier so will be getting an automatic license.
    grogi wrote: »
    Keep the C-Max. If the petrol cost is hitting you, spent that $1K converting it to LPG...

If you really need automatic, you're looking at downgrading a couple of years...

Are automatics really that more expensive?

Are automatics really that more expensive?

On one hand they are rare, and on the other hand a petrol c-max will not get you a lot of money...

Don't let the C-Max 1.6 diesel or 1.8 petrol cross your mind...
    The C-Max 2.0 petrol is solid car, but will be relatively sluggish and thirsty - it comes with solid, but ancient 4F27E gearbox.

Ford paired 2.0 diesel with an AWF21 gearbox (very popular gearbox, as it is very compact) and later with Powershift. The first one had its problems at the beginning when multiple interations of the control board were released, but if it was serviced properly and oil changed regularly (don't expect that in Ireland though) it is relatively good. Getrag 6DCT450 is a dual clutch transmission which I considered very solid, but it was recently brought to me by a few posters here that they have their issues as well.

If I was to get an auto MPV at a budget, I would look at Grand Scenic 1.5dCi EDC or C-Crosser/4007/Outlander 2.2HDI. With the first one the budget will probably make your eyes sweat, the second is as hard to come across in automatic version as an Irish Bobsleigh Team. C4 Picasso 2.0HDI came with a regular torque converter box as well - but I don't think they were ever sold here as well.

Or do what I did year ago - and get a Prius. It is not as tall as C-Max, but still a bit taller than a typical compact. Easy to drive, reliable and very economical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sounds harsh, but spend the money on driving lessons with a good instructor.

On one hand they are rare, and on the other hand a petrol c-max will not get you a lot of money...

Don't let the C-Max 1.6 diesel or 1.8 petrol cross your mind...
    The C-Max 2.0 petrol is solid car, but will be relatively sluggish and thirsty - it comes with solid, but ancient 4F27E gearbox.

Ford paired 2.0 diesel with an AWF21 gearbox (very popular gearbox, as it is very compact) and later with Powershift. The first one had its problems at the beginning when multiple interations of the control board were released, but if it was serviced properly and oil changed regularly (don't expect that in Ireland though) it is relatively good. Getrag 6DCT450 is a dual clutch transmission which I considered very solid, but it was recently brought to me by a few posters here that they have their issues as well.

If I was to get an auto MPV at a budget, I would look at Grand Scenic 1.5dCi EDC or C-Crosser/4007/Outlander 2.2HDI. With the first one the budget will probably make your eyes sweat, the second is as hard to come across in automatic version as an Irish Bobsleigh Team. C4 Picasso 2.0HDI came with a regular torque converter box as well - but I don't think they were ever sold here as well.

Or do what I did year ago - and get a Prius. It is not as tall as C-Max, but still a bit taller than a typical compact. Easy to drive, reliable and very economical.

How big is the boot in the Prius?

You're right about finding any of the models you mentioned above!

What's your thoughts on the C4 or the 3008?

How big is the boot in the Prius?

You'd be surprised how versatile it is...

It is a bit shallow, but if you occasionally need more depth you can always remove the artificial floor and even plastic inserts and put your stuff directly on the spare wheel - that gives you additional space there.

toyota-prius-9.jpg?itok=f0Steykq
    You're right about finding any of the models you mentioned above!

What's your thoughts on the C4 or the 3008?

I can only comment on the drive-train of those.

I would avoid them with 1.6 HDI engine because the automatic gearbox paired with this is just a joke... It is a robotised manual, not very smooth nor responsive, and they are known for requiring clutch adaptation every couple of thousands miles. The test-drive was a dreadful experience for me, but YMMV. It is only from late 2015 when the 1.6 is paired with the 3rd gen Aisin gearbox, which is miles better.

C4 Picasso 2.0HDI came with various automatic gearboxes, it would seem some are regular automatic BVA6. The difference is easy to spot - proper automatic will have PRNDM modes, while the robotized manual comes with PNAM modes. Second generation C4 Picasso 2.0HDI always had the EAT6 gearbox, but this would be outside of your budget.

vim_5_1437071__vimg2111203-16.jpg

All the above applies to 3008...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Sounds harsh, but spend the money on driving lessons with a good instructor.

Have to agree. Crazy essentially swapping the car. The 1k you put into the deal will essentially be profit for the dealer.
    If you know the C Max is sound, keep it. It's not that hard to learn to drive a manual.

You'd be surprised how versatile it is...

It is a bit shallow, but if you occasionally need more depth you can always remove the artificial floor and even plastic inserts and put your stuff directly on the spare wheel - that gives you additional space there.

I can only comment on the drive-train of those.

I would avoid them with 1.6 HDI engine because the automatic gearbox paired with this is just a joke... It is a robotised manual, not very smooth nor responsive, and they are known for requiring clutch adaptation every couple of thousands miles. The test-drive was a dreadful experience for me, but YMMV. It is only from late 2015 when the 1.6 is paired with the 3rd gen Aisin gearbox, which is miles better.

C4 Picasso 2.0HDI came with various automatic gearboxes, it would seem some are regular automatic BVA6. The difference is easy to spot - proper automatic will have PRNDM modes, while the robotized manual comes with PNAM modes. Second generation C4 Picasso 2.0HDI always had the EAT6 gearbox, but this would be outside of your budget.

All the above applies to 3008...

So Citroens and Peugeot are out.

How about the below, the DSG gearbox seems to get good reviews.

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=1500823&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D93%26o%5B%5D%3D824%26t%3D2%26g%3D0

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-touran-1-4-auto-dsg-385-road-tax/12301433

• Advertisement

Have to agree. Crazy essentially swapping the car. The 1k you put into the deal will essentially be profit for the dealer.
    If you know the C Max is sound, keep it. It's not that hard to learn to drive a manual.

It nothing to do with how hard or easy it is to learn to drive a manual. She can use a manual just would prefer to drive an automatic after using one recently. So looking to change our car to an automatic and looking for the best options available based on criteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Wife is learning to drive and getting lessons in an automatic and finding it much easier so will be getting an automatic license.

I took that to mean exactly what it says. I still stand by the point that you're better off learning to drive in a manual so that you don't end up with a restricted licence.
    Of course it's easier to learn in an automatic but that doesn't make it the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AranLamb

Only word to answer the question is Toyota.

Also try Avoid DSG boxes when you are hunting for a Auto, There cheap to buy pricey to fix.

I see people recommending the Prius, Would not be my personal choice.

However it is Reliable,Cheap run and Automatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Vw Tiguan has plenty of boot space and very roomy inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

AranLamb wrote: »

Also try Avoid DSG boxes when you are hunting for a Auto, There cheap to buy pricey to fix.

How is Toyota the answer to this? The multimode gearbox as fitted to the likes of the Verso is a heap of junk. The only automatic RAV4 is the 2.0 petrol 4wd.

The Prius is the only decent automatic Toyota do that fits the OPs needs apart from the Land Cruiser. And even at that the Prius doesn't have a high driving position.

AranLamb wrote: »

I had though (based on posts on here) that the DSG box was pretty good??
    Autosport wrote: »
    Vw Tiguan has plenty of boot space and very roomy inside.

I assume as this is is a VW it would have the DSG gearbox as well.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How is Toyota the answer to this? The multimode gearbox as fitted to the likes of the Verso is a heap of junk. The only automatic RAV4 is the 2.0 petrol 4wd.

The Prius is the only decent automatic Toyota do that fits the OPs needs apart from the Land Cruiser. And even at that the Prius doesn't have a high driving position.

Sounds like there is a lot of terrible auto gearboxes out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The DSG gearbox seems to attract both extremes, some say its fantastic, others say avoid.

I recently asked my mechanic about them, he said they were great boxes.

NIMAN wrote: »
    The DSG gearbox seems to attract both extremes, some say its fantastic, others say avoid.

I recently asked my mechanic about them, he said they were great boxes.

I can understand that you get some bad examples of any car/make/gearbox so it's more just what they are like over all.

would the below be any good?

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php...6t%3D2%26g%3D0

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...d-tax/12301433

I had though (based on posts on here) that the DSG box was pretty good??

I assume as this is is a VW it would have the DSG gearbox as well.

They are great when they work - and if I was buying new for just couple of years, I would have no hesitations (but I would not buy VAG because of the emission scandal anyway)...

There are many variants of DSG boxes for different power outputs. The stronger variants - 6 speed DQ250 - installed with 2.0TDI or 2.0TSI is ok. There are problems with it, but mainly in hot and humid climate. The 7 speed DQ200 is more problematic, with the clutches burning and prone to control unit failure.

Worth noting is that with the DSG you have not one, but two clutches and DMF as well. If the times when those need to be changed, you're looking at four digit bill, even from an indy...

• Advertisement

I can understand that you get some bad examples of any car/make/gearbox so it's more just what they are like over all.

would the below be any good?

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php...6t%3D2%26g%3D0

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...d-tax/12301433

Aren't all those VW imports from Japan? Anytime I see one, it comes with speedometer in km, but without any plates.

Personally I don't have nothing against them, it is the insurance I would be concerned with...

They are great when they work - and if I was buying new for just couple of years, I would have no hesitations (but I would not buy VAG because of the emission scandal anyway)...

There are many variants of DSG boxes for different power outputs. The stronger variants - 6 speed DQ250 - installed with 2.0TDI or 2.0TSI is ok. There are problems with it, but mainly in hot and humid climate. The 7 speed DQ200 is more problematic, with the clutches burning and prone to control unit failure.

Worth noting is that with the DSG you have not one, but two clutches and DMF as well. If the times when those need to be changed, you're looking at four digit bill, even from an indy...

Thanks for the comprehensive answer and earlier ones as well.
    Aren't all those VW imports from Japan? Anytime I see one, it comes with speedometer in km, but without any plates.

Personally I don't have nothing against them, it is the insurance I would be concerned with...

I didn't think it would be so difficult to find a decent automatic car!!

Really don't know where/what to look at now.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭steveshort

What about the mercedes E200 kompressor ?
    The mb 722.6 5 speed auto in very reliable, the 1.8 petrol can give cam chain problems but if the chain is replaced as preventive maintenance then you will have trouble free motoring

steveshort wrote: »
    What about the mercedes E200 kompressor ?
    The mb 722.6 5 speed auto in very reliable, the 1.8 petrol can give cam chain problems but if the chain is replaced as preventive maintenance then you will have trouble free motoring

Thanks however looking for more MVP/SUV style for higher driving position and for ease of lifting kids in and out of seats etc.

You have a lot of constrains: high driving position and budget...

As @Nuw suggested, check Opel Zafira 1.9 diesel. It is solid Fiat 1.9JTD engine, with its problems - but nothing major - and hydraulic AWTF-80 SC gearbox.

Look at Fords: C-Max and S-Max with 2.0 diesel (a solid Peugeot's motor). Good enigine with hydraulic AWTF-80 SC gearbox or (from 2008) DualClutch Powershift (again, not that bad). Or C-Max 2.0 Petrol - with 4-speed hydraulic box.

If you are willing to let the height requirement go, a few opportunities open to you. Toyota Prius, Saabs, Volvos and Mercedes... Especially Mercedes - they have been building automatics since ever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Two things hard to find in Ireland.

Petrol car and automatics, cos the Irish like neither of them.

As for the older VW (the 06 one you listed) I am not sure if that is a DSG auto or not, I think DSG is a new VW autobox and before that they were standard autos?

Perhaps someone who knows better might confirm what year DSGs started to be standard in VW?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Perhaps someone who knows better might confirm what year DSGs started to be standard in VW?

DQ250 was introduced in 2003, but I cannot be sure about particular models.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

Nuw wrote: »
    If you do need an automatic, a zafira (in 1.8 petrol guise) should tick a lot of boxes.
    Other model that springs to mind is honda stream, that'd be a jap import however...

opel Zafiras were going on fire for years not exactly a car I would be recommenced and Opels can be unreliable also.

I have an Audi A4 great car never gave me any trouble you wont go wrong with an Audi.

You have a lot of constrains: high driving position and budget...

As @Nuw suggested, check Opel Zafira 1.9 diesel. It is solid Fiat 1.9JTD engine, with its problems - but nothing major - and hydraulic AWTF-80 SC gearbox.

Look at Fords: C-Max and S-Max with 2.0 diesel (a solid Peugeot's motor). Good enigine with hydraulic AWTF-80 SC gearbox or (from 2008) DualClutch Powershift (again, not that bad). Or C-Max 2.0 Petrol - with 4-speed hydraulic box.

If you are willing to let the height requirement go, a few opportunities open to you. Toyota Prius, Saabs, Volvos and Mercedes... Especially Mercedes - they have been building automatics since ever...

Thanks. You're right, either type of car or budget is going to have to change.

Will have a look at the ones you have mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I wouldn't be rushing to get a Zafira. Audi can be expensive if anything does go wrong though. They don't have a MPV and the SUV will be more expensive than a car to run.

beauf wrote: »
    I wouldn't be rushing to get a Zafira. Audi can be expensive if anything does go wrong though. They don't have a MPV and the SUV will be more expensive than a car to run.

Have mine for over 4 years cost me feck all an Audi that is not a Zafira wouldent drive one of those if I got it for free.

audi12 wrote: »
    opel Zafiras were going on fire for years not exactly a car I would be recommenced and Opels can be unreliable also.

I have an Audi A4 great car never gave me any trouble you wont go wrong with an Audi.

You worked in trade and nobody would buy them from you. We know... Audi über alles...

Have mine for over 4 years cost me feck all an Audi that is not a Zafira wouldent drive one of those if I got it for free.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/features/bmw-vs-audi-vs-mercedes-4208057

;)

Simple fact is they don't have have a MPV and a SUV is more expensive to run. Considering the OP said finances were tight.

I suspect you'd recommend an Audi regardless if there were suitable or not.

Lucky they dont go wrong very often.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/features/bmw-vs-audi-vs-mercedes-4208057

;)

Simple fact is they don't have have a MPV and a SUV is more expensive to run. Considering the OP said finances were tight.

I suspect you'd recommend an Audi regardless if there were suitable or not.

Had a lexus before two great car also hard to wrong with vw or Toyota giving my view on cars ive had in the past.

• Advertisement

...Or do what I did year ago - and get a Prius. It is not as tall as C-Max, but still a bit taller than a typical compact. Easy to drive, reliable and very economical.

I like the idea of a Prius. I'm not quite sure I'd buy one if I wanted the more space than a C-Max. The OP might be happy with it I dunno.

I like the idea of a Prius. I'm not quite sure I'd buy one if I wanted the more space than a C-Max. The OP might be happy with it I dunno.

Id say buy a normal car not one of those odd Prius things

Had a lexus before two great car also hard to wrong with vw or Toyota giving my view on cars ive had in the past.

Do Lexus do a SUV or MPV thats in the OP price bracket with reasonable running costs comparable with their current Ford?

Do Lexus do a SUV or MPV thats in the OP price bracket with reasonable running costs comparable with their current Ford?

No idea

Any Lexus MPV/SUV will come with horrendous tax bill.

• Advertisement

Are all VW Touran's Jap imports?

The following would tick a lot of boxes

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-tourn-1-4-ltr-automatic/13384951

Are all VW Touran's Jap imports?

The following would tick a lot of boxes

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-tourn-1-4-ltr-automatic/13384951

Aftermarket radio (Japs have different frequencies AFAIK), square-like plate at the front - all suggest that it is. But I might just be paranoid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not all Tourans are JDM but a fair majority of the second hand automatics seem to be because there were so few sold here new.

That one looks like a JDM import, the touchscreen stereo and position of the ventilation controls would not have been standard on that car in Europe.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not all Tourans are JDM but a fair majority of the second hand automatics seem to be because there were so few sold here new

That one looks like a JDM import, the touchscreen stereo would not have been standard on that car in Europe.

I don't think it is factory radio. It looks like a standard 2DIN unit with a bit of padding around. VW unit would fill that hole much nicer. That's how OE fits:

VW%20TOURAN.jpg

The stickers in picture 3 do seem be in some Asian language as well, but the resolution is too poor to be 100% certain.

Aftermarket radio (Japs have different frequencies AFAIK), square-like plate at the front - all suggest that it is. But I might just be paranoid...
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Not all Tourans are JDM but a fair majority of the second hand automatics seem to be because there were so few sold here new.

That one looks like a JDM import, the touchscreen stereo and position of the ventilation controls would not have been standard on that car in Europe.
    I don't think it is factory radio. It looks like a standard 2DIN unit with a bit of padding around. VW unit would fill that hole much nicer.

The stickers in picture 3 do seem be in some Asian language as well, but the resolution is too poor to be 100% certain.

Thanks guys.

Rang insurance and they said would be no loading for Jap import.

I'm guessing though that the 1.4 petrol would be very under powered for a car that size?

Thanks guys.

Rang insurance and they said would be no loading for Jap import.

I'm guessing though that the 1.4 petrol would be very under powered for a car that size?

1.4 TSI is powerful enough (from 2007 it was even 125kW / 170PS), and it because of the flat torque it seems even more potent than it actually is.

But have it properly checked by a mechanic who knows VAGs. The early ones did have a fair share of problems with the timing chain... Belt driven ASAIK are fine.

1.4 TSI is powerful enough (from 2007 it was even 125kW / 170PS), and it because of the flat torque it seems even more potent than it actually is.

But have it properly checked by a mechanic who knows VAGs. The early ones did have a fair share of problems with the timing chain... Belt driven ASAIK are fine.

Thanks again.

I will obviously get anything I buy fully checked by a mechanic.

When you say the 'early ones' do you mean around 2007 or earlier?

Thanks again.

I will obviously get anything I buy fully checked by a mechanic.

When you say the 'early ones' do you mean around 2007 or earlier?

http://www.adamlewin.co.uk/vw-mk5-golf-tsi-engine-timing-chain-problem/

WOW!

So guess that's another one off the list!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Criteria would be;

-automatic
    -budget- see below
    -year 2008+

Currently drive a 2009 Ford C Max, petrol with 90K km. Would be looking to trade this in or sell privately and add about €1 or 2K to either option as currently buying a house to finances are tight. Something around this size or slightly bigger would be what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Nissan Note (2006 - 2013 model):

- Good and solid torque converter automatic paired to 1.6 petrol engine
    - Slightly higher driving position than most cars but not as high as SUVs
    - Loads of space - it was designed for families like yours: http://www.noteownersclub.co.uk/news/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-nissan-note/
    - Automatic only available with the 1.6 petrol engine.
    - Budget - You'd probably get a 2011 model for your budget

• Advertisement
Advertisement