Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a car

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If getting a VW get a decent warranty. As the ABS module failure is a know issue for a lot of them across all VAG models. In fact with all modern cars there's always something pricey that can fail. If you are looking at VW also look at SEAT they have similar MPV models.

I think I'd reconsider the automatic license a bit more carefully. Seems a bit extreme reason to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

OP

We have a Touran DSG and a Nissan Note and twins!

To be honest the Note is easier to get the kids in and out of and theres a surprising amount of space in the boot.

The boys are still in fairly big car seats and the room in the back of the note is exceptional its manual I drove an automatic note once was ok nothing compared to the DSG

The only thing I will say is if I was ever to be in a crash PG it wont happen i'd feel safer in the VW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

TRS30 wrote: »
    WOW!

So guess that's another one off the list!!

Don't cross it out. Consider replacing the chain as part of the starter pack - and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

beauf wrote: »
    If getting a VW get a decent warranty. As the ABS module failure is a know issue for a lot of them across all VAG models. In fact with all modern cars there's always something pricey that can fail. If you are looking at VW also look at SEAT they have similar MPV models.

I think I'd reconsider the automatic license a bit more carefully. Seems a bit extreme reason to change.

Thanks, will have a look at some SEAT's.
    Bazzy wrote: »
    OP

We have a Touran DSG and a Nissan Note and twins!

To be honest the Note is easier to get the kids in and out of and theres a surprising amount of space in the boot.

The boys are still in fairly big car seats and the room in the back of the note is exceptional its manual I drove an automatic note once was ok nothing compared to the DSG

The only thing I will say is if I was ever to be in a crash PG it wont happen i'd feel safer in the VW

How do you find the Touran? What year is it? Petrol/ diesel?

I'll look at the Note also.

The Touran is based on a Golf and is actually shorter than a Passat. Its a mid sized MPV. Its quite wide due to the boxey design. I doubt you'd have the same room in the Note width wise. But the note probably has more legroom in the back which is handy for car seats etc. Something like a S Max or Grand Scenic will have a lot more space than a Touran. But a Touran is shorter for parking etc.

The Note is surprising roomy for the size. But its boot (380 litres seats up) (seats down (1,332 litres) isn't close to a touran, seven seats up 137 litres, Five seats up 743 litres, Two seats up 1,857 litres. Interestingly, C-MAX’s boot holds 432 litres, 1,684 litres with no seats. I like the Note but I don't think I'd compare it will mid or full sized MPV's.

grogi wrote: »
    Don't cross it out. Consider replacing the chain as part of the starter pack - and that's it.

Maybe I was a bit hasty! Is that a big job?

Maybe I was a bit hasty! Is that a big job?

Ask @George Dalton.

The Touran is based on a Golf and is actually shorter than a Passat. Its a mid sized MPV. Its quite wide due to the boxey design. I doubt you'd have the same room in the Note width wise. But the note probably has more legroom in the back which is handy for car seats etc. Something like a S Max or Grand Scenic will have a lot more space than a Touran. But a Touran is shorter for parking etc.

The Note is surprising roomy for the size. But its boot (380 litres seats up) (seats down (1,332 litres) isn't close to a touran, seven seats up 137 litres, Five seats up 743 litres, Two seats up 1,857 litres. Interestingly, C-MAX’s boot holds 432 litres, 1,684 litres with no seats. I like the Note but I don't think I'd compare it will mid or full sized MPV's.

Thanks for the that. While the boot in the C Max isn't bad a bit of extra room wouldn't go astray!

would i be right in saying this is something you would do straight away rather than waiting for it go and then replacing it?

• Advertisement

would i be right in saying this is something you would do straight away rather than waiting for it go and then replacing it?

I would definitely consider such option.

Depends on the current condition (it might have been already replaced under warranty for instance) and costs to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

The 1.6 is a good bit underpowered (even the FSI version with its mighty 115 hp over the mere 105 of the standard 1.6), but should be reliable. I wasn't aware it came with an autobox however, no idea what type it is.

I'd go for the 1.4 TSI myself (the first one you listed), given it passes every checks I can throw at it.

Nuw wrote: »
    The 1.6 is a good bit underpowered (even the FSI version with its mighty 115 hp over the mere 105 of the standard 1.6), but should be reliable. I wasn't aware it came with an autobox however, no idea what type it is.

I'd go for the 1.4 TSI myself (the first one you listed), given it passes every checks I can throw at it.

Thanks. that's the one I'm leaning towards.

Out of interest what checks did you throw at it??

Nuw wrote: »

I dunno why you would say "a good bit underpowered " there is very little in it performance wise. The 1.4 is a second quicker to 60 and a bit more fuel efficient. (A good bit cleaner I think) Of course that little difference might be a big deal if you do a lot of driving on motorways, (overtaking) hills and fully loaded. If you are just running around town to shops and schools, most of the time, its not much of a difference. For me I would pick based on condition. The engine wouldn't be a bit difference for me. Perhaps it would be for someone else.

I dunno why you would say "a good bit underpowered " there is very little in it performance wise. The 1.4 is a second quicker to 60 and a bit more fuel efficient. Of course that little difference might be a big deal if you do a lot of driving on motorways, (overtaking) hills and fully loaded. If you are just running around town to shops and schools, most of the time, its not much of a difference. For me I would pick based on condition. The engine wouldn't be a bit difference for me. Perhaps it would be for someone else.

Be under no illusion - 105 n/a vs 140 turbo makes colossal difference, especially when climbing a hill. In typical rev range the 1.4TSI will have twice as much power available as the N/A 1.6.

• Advertisement

That's why I mentioned hills or overtaking.

I spend 95% of time around a city on the flat. Makes no difference to me at all. I used to have a Sports cars, they spent most of their time sitting in traffic. Was a bit pointless for me. But if I was doing a lot of country driving, it would be well worth it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

There not being bought for their good looks anyway

Went to look at the '07 on Saturday. Car was in great condition, both inside and out however were a few things that put me off. No service history (even though says there is on website), tyres were not E marked and he wouldn't budge on price (€250 off).

Found the gearbox very smooth and could see the appeal of automatics even after a 10 minute drive.

Went to look at the '06 one as well. Didn't get to drive it due to time constraints however was chatting to the sale guy who said they have brought in a lot of them over the last few years however don't go near the '07 onwards due to the timing chain issue that grogi mentioned previously. This has put me off the '07 one completely.

Out of interest was this only an issue on the Mk5 so would a Mk6 from 2009 be OK?

Out of interest was this only an issue on the Mk5 so would a Mk6 from 2009 be OK?

VW is constantly changing and updating the engine line and at some stage they have ditched the chain. What makes things worse is that similar engine with same power in one model has the chain and in another does not.

You'd have to do your own research, based on engine codes...

VW is constantly changing and updating the engine line and at some stage they have ditched the chain. What makes things worse is that similar engine with same power in one model has the chain and in another does not.

You'd have to do your own research, based on engine codes...

Will do, thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement