Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small glass reptile cage for hamster?

Options
  • 13-09-2016 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

I went into a pet shop and was shown a few cages in the shop. The owner suggested a glass cage. Initially, I thought it was quite small but they assured me it would be ideal for a Syrian hamster

It was half price and not in a brand new box

After 24 hrs and phoning various shops and websites. My cage is too small, can get too hot for hamsters. Im noticing it even has a reptile etched into the side

I rang politely to return it but they are having none of it. They claim it's ideal for a Hamster as they need to be out anyway so doesn't matter they are in a small cage. Point blank refuse to accept it's not ideal

I was shown the cage and went by their advice, granted I should have done research prior

I have since bought a proper cage.

Am I in the right to want either store credit or refund due to wrong advice

The worker was pretty rude too

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

Fit for purpose is the rule here. You'd need to convince a District Court Registrar that the cage isn't but that shouldn't be too hard. If you wish to progress that matter use the Small Claims Procedure in the DC. If not vent on social media (I'm not being flippant, it really does work) and don't use them again. Flog the 'cage' on adverts.

Also pics of Mr./Mrs. Hammy most welcome I'm sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The reptile cage piece is irrelevant. Many glass cages are multipurpose. The main thing is if it big enough for a Syrian hamster and has adequate ventilation. A big enough cage would be required as they grow to about 6 inches and are active little buggers.

So, you can continue to try to get resolution from the store by talking to the manager, you can engage in the SCC process or you can cut your losses and sell the cage. However, do not sell the cage if you are planning to go to the SCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

thanks, turns out that cage is at the very minimum size requirement for a syrian and is fine. I have decided to cut my losses and bought a far bigger and more suitable cage with a lot of area and platforms. Was quite expensive but definitely worth it.

thanks for all the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's worth buying the biggest cage that you can for little critters like that. They are quite busy animals, liking to run for ages, and if you're away from home for a bit, you will want him to be able to run in his cage.

Advertisement