Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management company introducing parking fees

Options
  • 13-09-2016 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just looking for some advice on this. I am renting an apartment that comes with a parking space currently, on part 4 and ~1.5 years since signing lease, relevant lease terms below:
    There will be one parking space per apartment which will be assigned upon
    signing. Each apartment will be given a parking permit. If another space is
    required, there will be an extra charge payable.

We recently got a letter saying that they are introducing a €50 a month charge for the space. There is no mention in the lease of charges being possibly introduced. Do they have grounds to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 squidgeroo

Yes, this would be agreed by the board of management at the AGM (made up of people who own the properties). Though quite high cost!!! Main reason for the introduction of the parking permit fees is to get people to pay their management fee! - no management fee paid - not entitled to a permit (which is around €12 pa). But this is normally a way to get fees in - it is unusual to pay a high monthly fee for parking on top of this. check with the landlord on this as they should have received the correspondence. There must be a reason for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

While I would be dubious of such a measure being legal at the board level that's not really your issue OP. You're contract is with your Landlord - what does your lease say about parking?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

banjopaul wrote: »
    Hey all, just looking for some advice on this. I am renting an apartment that comes with a parking space currently, on part 4 and ~1.5 years since signing lease, relevant lease terms below:

We recently got a letter saying that they are introducing a €50 a month charge for the space. There is no mention in the lease of charges being possibly introduced. Do they have grounds to do this?

We get one permit as part of our management fee, and ach additional permit is €8 per year. We do live in a housing estate though.

€50 per month is very expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Be careful of the terminology!
    Is it your landlord (letting agent) introducing the parking fee, or is the Owners' Management Company?

I suspect your landlord may be looking at ways to increase the rent by the back door :(

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Sorry I wasn't clear. The apartment is owned and rented by the management company in this case, so the lease is directly with the company. The only mention of parking in the lease is the section included in the first post here.

I would have thought that if the lease included a parking space with no mention of a charge it couldn't then be introduced at a later date.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Car park spaces are owned my the management company, not the individual owners in most cases. Spaces can be assigned but that doesn't mean they are always free of charge, permits are usually introduced to stop randomers from parking in the car parks and to ensure management fees are paid.

Op, you are still being assigned a space but the management company are now requiring payment, as the tenant, it is your car which is parked there not the landlord's. You might argue that you didn't have to pay for it up to now, but neither did the LL. I suspect it will be a case of either pay it or park somewhere else, the space is still assigned to you but there is now a fee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

You can complain to the RTB about it if the management co is your direct landlord. The RTB will examine the issue and see if it is really a sneak rent increase or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Sorry I wasn't clear. The apartment is owned and rented by the management company in this case, so the lease is directly with the company. The only mention of parking in the lease is the section included in the first post here.

I would have thought that if the lease included a parking space with no mention of a charge it couldn't then be introduced at a later date.

So your Landlord issued a lease for Appartment no X and car space Y (with a parking permit) at a fixed inclusive rent per month.

The owner of the building is also the Management Company.
    The owner \ management company has decided to add a charge which the Landlord has to pay.
    The Landlord is also the owner of the building and the Management Company.

The Landlord has to abide by the law and not increase your rent.
    I would say your poor Landlord will have to swallow the cost increase.

The management company is my landlord as mentioned above, there is no separate owner of the apartment.

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The apartment is owned and rented by the management company in this case, so the lease is directly with the company.

Very unusual for a management company to own property. Most management companies wouldn't have the funds for that, since funds are made up from management fees.

Sounds like a very unusual situation in relation to the property and parking. But, again, parking spaces can be assigned, reassigned and conditions for use of parking can change.

But, your lease states that you have parking, so you should go back to your landlord with that, and if you can't get agreement, lodge an RTB dispute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I would argue that this cost is to be covered by the landlord as it states that you are renting the space as part of your lease and they are now having to pay the cat space fee in the same way that they are liable for property tax and not you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Paulw wrote: »
    Very unusual for a management company to own property. Most management companies wouldn't have the funds for that, since funds are made up from management fees.

Sounds like a very unusual situation in relation to the property and parking. But, again, parking spaces can be assigned, reassigned and conditions for use of parking can change.

But, your lease states that you have parking, so you should go back to your landlord with that, and if you can't get agreement, lodge an RTB dispute.

Agree with final two paragraphs, however developer may never have sold the units but instead retains ownership and rents out the units. So the developer/block owner as landlord has introduced a Parking charge. I don't think this is legal under terms of the tenancy agreement.

It confuses things to mention management company because the the usual circumstances where man co is owned by a collective of the individual owners doesn't apply here.

Agree with final two paragraphs, however developer may never have sold the units but instead retains ownership and rents out the units. So the developer/block owner as landlord has introduced a Parking charge. I don't think this is legal under terms of the tenancy agreement.

It confuses things to mention management company because the the usual circumstances where man co is owned by a collective of the individual owners doesn't apply here.

Apologies, they describe themselves as a property management company. I think technically the property is owned by a holding company which is owned by the same people that own the management company.. but anyway will talk to them and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Agree with final two paragraphs, however developer may never have sold the units but instead retains ownership and rents out the units. So the developer/block owner as landlord has introduced a Parking charge.

But, a developer is not the management company. If he retains units, then he may be a member of the management company, with all other unit owners as members too.
    Apologies, they describe themselves as a property management company. I think technically the property is owned by a holding company which is owned by the same people that own the management company.. but anyway will talk to them and see what happens.

It's still confusing.

Management company - a company made up of all unit owners as members.
    Management agent - company employed by management company to run the development on their behalf.
    "Property management company" - a letting agent who runs the properties on behalf of an owner (holding company)????

This property management company would have to abide by terms and conditions as set out by the management company.

But, you, as a tenant, have a lease. You have no direct contract with the management company, but conditions they impose may impact on you (such as this parking). Either way, your issue is with your landlord, or this property management company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

I would guess that it is a block owned by one of the REIT companies.

One of them own over 3000 apartments in Dublin, so yes they'd be owners and operators of the management company.

I would assume that as the lease states a parking space is included, then no extra fee is payable - otherwise its a sneaky rent increase.

It's possible the OMC are renting directly - I know we've offered to do it on repossessed apartments to offset management fees.

I think the OP needs to clarify the situation though - this seems like an odd one.

Incase you're aware OP generally apartments have an Owners Management Company (OMC). You buy an apartment leasehold, you get a share in the OMC. It's possible for KIOB's Property Management to buy an apartment in Boards.ie OMC. KIOB's Property Management are then merely a shareholder in Boards.ie OMC. Are you saying you're renting directly from Boards.ie OMC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

It's possible the OMC are renting directly - I know we've offered to do it on repossessed apartments to offset management fees.

I think the OP needs to clarify the situation though - this seems like an odd one.

Incase you're aware OP generally apartments have an Owners Management Company (OMC). You buy an apartment leasehold, you get a share in the OMC. It's possible for KIOB's Property Management to buy an apartment in Boards.ie OMC. KIOB's Property Management are then merely a shareholder in Boards.ie OMC. Are you saying you're renting directly from Boards.ie OMC?

Will who the landlord is matter in the context of the original contract includes a "free" parking space?
    The OP's landlord can't increase the rent for 2 years no matter who they are eg can the landlord write to the OP and say that its decided to add a monthly balcony charge?
    So the question should be when was the rent last adjusted?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

We're in the process of doing exactly this at the moment- one parking space per unit (as per the 600 year lease)- and if you want another space- its 50 Euro per month and you *have* to notify the contact details and the registration details for all vehicles to the Management Agent.

If you are allowed one space in your lease- you are allowed this one space. We don't charge extra for that one space. Its the additional spaces- once you go over the one space, that get charged for.

Its a measure to combat some tenants parking improbable numbers of vehicles in the complex for protracted periods of time- to the detriment of those who don't abuse their one parking space. We've had our security cameras blocked with high sided vehicles left for weeks on end by one tenant- which facilitated flytipping (and the robbing of an exhaust system from a Merc M3 legitimately parked by another tenant..........

50 quid per month- for additional vehicles other than the first one which you are legitimately allowed- is cheap going- try getting a quote for parking elsewhere...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

We're in the process of doing exactly this at the moment- one parking space per unit (as per the 600 year lease)- and if you want another space- its 50 Euro per month and you *have* to notify the contact details and the registration details for all vehicles to the Management Agent.

If you are allowed one space in your lease- you are allowed this one space. We don't charge extra for that one space. Its the additional spaces- once you go over the one space, that get charged for.

Its a measure to combat some tenants parking improbable numbers of vehicles in the complex for protracted periods of time- to the detriment of those who don't abuse their one parking space. We've had our security cameras blocked with high sided vehicles left for weeks on end by one tenant- which facilitated flytipping (and the robbing of an exhaust system from a Merc M3 legitimately parked by another tenant..........

50 quid per month- for additional vehicles other than the first one which you are legitimately allowed- is cheap going- try getting a quote for parking elsewhere...........

All of which is irrelevant to the OP who is being charged €600pa for the first space.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The lease terms he has signed- allow for one space to be assigned per apartment on signing of the lease- and the charge applies to subsequent spaces. Its not clear from the OP's post- that the 50 Euro a month applies to space no. 1- and if it does- if the wording of the lease is as he states- he has legitimate grounds to dispute it (obviously not for subsequent spaces)............

The wording is key to all of this- from what the OP has quoted- they are home and dry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

hope OP disputes this, definitely sounds like an attempted rent increase through the back door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

The lease terms he has signed- allow for one space to be assigned per apartment on signing of the lease- and the charge applies to subsequent spaces. Its not clear from the OP's post- that the 50 Euro a month applies to space no. 1- and if it does- if the wording of the lease is as he states- he has legitimate grounds to dispute it (obviously not for subsequent spaces)............

The wording is key to all of this- from what the OP has quoted- they are home and dry.

Yea op mentions that a space is included in the rent, and that a charge is being Introduced for the space.

There's Already a charge for subsequent spaces making it clear that introduction of a charge could only relate to a space not already charged for, I.e. The first space.

Only way to deal with this is dispute it. Space included in rent, now being charged for, either constitutes unilateral change in the terms of the lease, or a rent increase. Op only there 18 months so rent increase can't be legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

I recently, as a tenant, had a lease agreement which included a clause that any other charges or taxes which are liable by a tenant to be paid by him. I can't remember the exact wording but that was the general gist.

Will who the landlord is matter in the context of the original contract includes a "free" parking space?
    The OP's landlord can't increase the rent for 2 years no matter who they are eg can the landlord write to the OP and say that its decided to add a monthly balcony charge?
    So the question should be when was the rent last adjusted?

If it's the OMC themselves and they've made the decision he might have some luck having a chat.

It's not, to my knowledge, yet been tested to see if an ancillary charge in addition to the rent is considered and upwards rent review. Each case is going to turn on it's own facts. This one is fairly easy: What does the lease state about parking? That would be the main issue here.

Walter2016 wrote: »
    I would guess that it is a block owned by one of the REIT companies.

One of them own over 3000 apartments in Dublin, so yes they'd be owners and operators of the management company.

I would assume that as the lease states a parking space is included, then no extra fee is payable - otherwise its a sneaky rent increase.

Thanks! Not sure why everyone else is getting so bogged down on technicalities.

Have sent an email disputing this now, thanks everyone.
    Turtle_ wrote: »
    Yea op mentions that a space is included in the rent, and that a charge is being Introduced for the space.

There's Already a charge for subsequent spaces making it clear that introduction of a charge could only relate to a space not already charged for, I.e. The first space.

Only way to deal with this is dispute it. Space included in rent, now being charged for, either constitutes unilateral change in the terms of the lease, or a rent increase. Op only there 18 months so rent increase can't be legal.

Yeah just to confirm charge is introduced for first space which has been free for last 18 months.

Thanks! Not sure why everyone else is getting so bogged down on technicalities.

Because of the frequent misuse of colloquial parlance in relation to this subject.

This one is fairly easy: What does the lease state about parking? That would be the main issue here.

The only mention of parking in the lease was included in my first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Stick up that part of your lease in a common area, other people might not realise.

• Advertisement

The only mention of parking in the lease was included in my first post.

Did you mean lease or head lease? Did you mean property management company or OMC?

You might have it right, which is an infrequent occurrence. It's also relatively unusual to have the OMC and LL be the same entity. In fact I suspect that it is not, it just happens that you've two companies with the same directors.

Incidentally you misused the term holding company to my mind.

I trust that the point is now better explained?

Advertisement