Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move a Yucca Plant outdoors

Options
  • 13-09-2016 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have an indoor Yucca plant which has outgrown the house. It now stands close to 6ft tall. Couldn't tell you what subspecies it is, see pic attached. So I have moved this outside, still potted.

Will this plant survive a Galway winter? Plenty of rain and wind is a certainty. Are there any steps I should take now to see it survive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

All I can say is mine didn't survive the frosts on the East coast. Put it inside for the winter. Even by a window in a shed would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Cut it back

I'd a bigger Yucca and had the same problem, but they're amazing plants. if you cut the trunks, I did my 2 trunk one over 2 years, they grow back. but also, you can trim back the cut trunk and plant it and they will also grow. I've a medium and 1 small Yucca, and I gave a small one away.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

So do I cut it back so it's just a trunk with no foliage? Does that somehow allow a new crown to grow that would be more hardier to outdoor conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

yes to the cutting back part, but no to the outdoor hardiness. cutting back allows you to keep the smaller plant(s) indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

Ok I see what you're saying. I dread having to cut back but I guess it will not survive otherwise. Cheers for your input.

• Advertisement
Advertisement