Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lance chickens out.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Having him speak openly and with candour about his past, with a world class interviewer - who we will be revealing shortly,

My guess is David Walsh taking the lead and Emma O'Reilly on the sidelines
    :D :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Only €950 tickets left, rather buy another bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

wouldn't go if I had a free ticket, thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

signal of the intent of One Zero to tackle the major issues in sport from money and fans to technology and doping.

with only €950 tickets remaining :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I'd sooner burn €950 than hand it over to that bellend

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Is it limited to 6 per person?
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Planet X wrote: »
    Is it limited to 6 per person?
    :)

That's me out, there are 7 of me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Seve OB wrote: »
    My guess is David Walsh taking the lead and Emma O'Reilly on the sidelines
    :D :eek:
    ....and Betsy Andreu! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Not a chance I'd pay that, but I do think it would be interesting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

1bryan wrote: »
    wouldn't go if I had a free ticket, thanks very much

Now if they gave me €950 I might listen to him, just so long as he didn't go on for too long... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

The support act for the evening will be Michaella McCollum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

The support act for the evening will be Michaella McCollum

Or Dr Ferrari.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Almaz Ayana would fill out the panel nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Why is it so expensive? :rolleyes:

He's got some balls charging that much

• Registered Users Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Andy Magic wrote: »
    Why is it so expensive? :rolleyes:

He's got some one ball charging that much

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Pay to listen to more lies?
    Pay to hear what we heard for free on Oprah Interview, on the podcasts, in Stop at Nothing etc?

Something about airgead and amadans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

€950 to see him talk? Feck that I'd rather buy a new cross bike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

I'm sure nobody on this forum went on this spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Very light on detail about what type of conference it is. Sounds like a Web Summit for arm chair sports fans with little of actual value for attendees and a licence to print money for the organisers.

Stuff like this shows that people think the boom is back. Not for me, I'm out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

So the last time Lance was in town, he did the famous ride in the Phoenix park... some seven years ago now! Damn, where does the time go?

That was my first long spin on a road bike. Actually, it was my first spin out in many years after consigning my old bike to the turbo trainer after crashing it a few years earlier in 2004. That was a Trek 1400 which I managed to wreck the front wheel after only my second short spin. In the meantime, that summer of 2009, I purchase a year old Trek Madone frameset off a guy in the UK. I was in the process of building it up that week when I read online about Lance inviting folk out for a spin in the Phoenix park on the following Monday evening - after his cancer conference appearance earlier in the day. So, I got my mojo on and got the bits an pieces necessary that weekend to finish the bike build.

Monday came and with the bike ready, I set out that evening to ride into town and see what the fuss was about! By the time I reached the park I had already pretty much matched my previous longest spin on a bike... some 20km or so. With one bottle of diluted orange squash and 4 Jaffa cakes, I had seriously underestimated my calorific need on this first long outing! Making my way through the park, I was already halfway through my drink and had 2 Jaffa cakes left. I had no idea what this spin was to entail when we set out on the first of many laps of the triangle route around the magazine fort.

Several laps had passed when I noticed many other cyclists getting off on the short climb to take photos. I only had a cheap phone at the time with a crappy camera (come to think of it, I still only have a cheap phone with a crappy camera!) but jumped off anyhow and viewed the sight of several hundred people flocking and following around this 'legend' of the sport. I hopped back on my bike and continued on the ride.

After about lap 7 or 8, I noticed a funny feeling in my legs, more specifically in my quads. It took me time to register it but I soon realised I was cramping! I needed to keep fueling and drinking but ohhh dammmnn... my bottle was empty and so too were my pockets. No food, no water and yes... so noobily,,, no money with me. 'F@%K', I thought to myself. If anything I was disappointed with having to bring this little adventure to a quick end but I had no choice but to set out for home.

Now, I had memorised the route out of the park, but the dehydration obviously affected my concentration and I left via the wrong gate which left me with the task of getting over Knockmarron hill. Getting up and over that thing completely finished off any little energy or strength I had left as I began the ride along the Strawberry beds.

And oh my word, what a torture that was! My body was shutting down and my leg speed was matching it for pace too. I was slightly delusional at this stage and contemplated many things about life as I rode along the riverbank. I needed some help. Thankfully, I had that crappy phone with me and managed to contact a relative who was nearby in Lucan... though I still had to get there you know. Those final few Kms into Lucan rank as probably the hardest I've ever done! A can of coke while sitting on kerb in Lucan and a merciful lift home to Celbridge saved the day for me.

So, while it was the toughest spin I've probably ever done and one which made me question just what the hell I was getting into with this cycling lark... I'm thankful. I'm actually thankful to Lance Armstrong for sending out that Tweet one Friday in 2009, letting the world know he was in town and doing that spin in the park. Otherwise, I may just have continued to procrastinate about my cycling for another 4 or 5 years and may never have got into it properly.

So yeah.. Thanks Lance!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

daragh_ wrote: »
    I'm sure nobody on this forum went on this spin.

he was still innocent back then!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

^ Raam on the left in the Swords gear! GUILTY!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    ^ Raam on the left in the Swords gear! GUILTY!

I was there too riding in my swords gear...
    More caught up in the moment than love of LA as it was a great feeling to have such a mass of cyclists taking over the Park.
    Would be interested to see PK interview LA but not sure he would be interested now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

RobFowl wrote: »
    More caught up in the moment than love of LA as it was a great feeling to have such a mass of cyclists taking over the Park.

I'm calling bull on that story, muh lord!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

If anyone hasn't already burnt their copy of "It's Not About the Bike", outside the RDS on 21st October might be a good opportunity. Any old Livestrong gear could be added to the bonfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

If anyone hasn't already burnt their copy of "It's Not About the Bike", outside the RDS on 21st October might be a good opportunity. Any old Livestrong gear could be added to the bonfire.

Careful.

If anything would cause cancer, it'd be the fumes off that !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jaysus. Blair was practically broke when he left Downing St. Now worth hundreds of millions. €950 to watch a drug cheat not being even the least bit sorry.

Do we actually admire bastards or what these days? I don't wish the man ill, but I wouldn't cross the street to hear his bullcrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

1bryan wrote: »
    he was still innocent back then!

lord when i used to scan thru the photos back in 2009 of that gig and see proper racing riders, established members of the Irish cycling scene and they riding about with him taking photos, I still chuckle at it -

someone also better tell those lads about the easter bunny, santa and the tooth fairy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

endacl wrote: »
    Jaysus. Blair was practically broke when he left Downing St. Now worth hundreds of millions. €950 to watch a drug cheat not being even the least bit sorry.

Do we actually admire bastards or what these days? I don't wish the man ill, but I wouldn't cross the street to hear his bullcrap.

As someone said, he's just part of a wider event. I heard about the event a while ago when it was being advertised using other sports stars, now Armstrong is the big selling point.

Advertisement