Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lance chickens out.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Dan Patrick used to hammer him on his podcast, then kissed ass when he finally got him on the phone.
    He lost my respect that day.
    I personally cant stand OTB, its just so up its own arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

godtabh wrote: »
    but have they every spoken to him directly?

No, but I don't see any reason why they'll change their tune, they're usually appropriately hard and tough when they need to be, they do a lot on anti-doping.

However I'm not sure what can be asked of Armstrong that hasn't already. He's well seasoned so I don't expect to hear anything new or enlightening, no matter who interviews him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

maximum12 wrote: »
    Is Gilroy doing the interview ? He's well educated on the topic but don't think I've heard him do confrontational interviews.

I have heard him do a few and he is generally quite good, he gets annoyed but holds his tone quite well. It's actually nice to listen to as you can hear the passion, even for sports that are not his bread and butter and he is generally well researched IMO. Hope I am not proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have heard him do a few and he is generally quite good, he gets annoyed but holds his tone quite well. It's actually nice to listen to as you can hear the passion, even for sports that are not his bread and butter and he is generally well researched IMO. Hope I am not proven wrong.

He's not bad except when it comes to his and the a few of the others total biasedness to Man Utd and especially their managers. Its cringe worthy sometimes listening to them.

The one thing i will say is that cycling is a topic that they have covered often over the years so they know what they are talking about regarding the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

When is this on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

terrydel wrote: »
    They'll fawn over him.
    OTB is all about them, they are a bunch of self important tossers.
    Really don't find that (since the second captains bants brigade spat the dummy anyway).

I think Gilroy in particular is very good, so it has potential. They had a good piece with Kimmage and the conference organiser a few weeks ago, where the easy thing to do would've been to just talk up the conference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

He's not bad except when it comes to his and the a few of the others total biasedness to Man Utd and especially their managers. Its cringe worthy sometimes listening to them.

The one thing i will say is that cycling is a topic that they have covered often over the years so they know what they are talking about regarding the sport.

I gave up on the Soccer Ball awhile ago so I kind of tune out on those discussions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Really don't find that (since the second captains bants brigade spat the dummy anyway).

I think Gilroy in particular is very good, so it has potential. They had a good piece with Kimmage and the conference organiser a few weeks ago, where the easy thing to do would've been to just talk up the conference.

Couldn't disagree with you more there, the lads on second captains are twice as intelligent as the otb lot, particularly ken early, who is ten times the journalist of any of them.
    Otb is far more 'bant' and about the presenters rather than the guests than second captains imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

When is this on?

7.15, for about half an hour. Just heard a snippet on preview.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

terrydel wrote:
    Couldn't disagree with you more there, the lads on second captains are twice as intelligent as the otb lot, particularly ken early, who is ten times the journalist of any of them. Otb is far more 'bant' and about the presenters rather than the guests than second captains imho.
    Not really going to argue the point on a cycling forum, but have the polar opposite view. Listen to it much more since they left, and rarely bother (or run out of other podcasts) to download them.

Anyway clip on Facebook suggests he isnt sucking up to Armstrong anyway. We'll see in a few minutes I guess (or when it's podcast in my case as dad cabs will be in operation!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Not really going to argue the point on a cycling forum, but have the polar opposite view. Listen to it much more since they left, and rarely bother (or run out of other podcasts) to download them.

Anyway clip on Facebook suggests he isnt sucking up to Armstrong anyway. We'll see in a few minutes I guess (or when it's podcast in my case as dad cabs will be in operation!)

I listen to both. I like both in general, prefer OTB, but when it comes to talking about cycling they both talk a lot of crap

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭pedro_colnago

That was awkward wasn't it?
    "Superman, rookie"
    I thought it was a bit like Ali G doing a spoof interview. Gilroy was really really poor there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Off The Ball interview.
    Cracking!!!
    "Thanks for a fantastic interview etc."
    Lance doesn't reply. Hangs up phone, or fcuks it at the wall.......
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Hi! I just listened to the Lance interview...
    Wow, i thought Ger was really good & grilled Armstrong really well...
    Armstrong sounded tired & grumpy & far from the fake, shiny superstar from years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭happytramp

God, the tension when he accused him of have destroyed LeMond's company...... about 20 seconds of silence. Just dead air, nobody speaking.

Thought he was awful, it was like an Ali G interview spoof interview at times. I'm no fan of LA but thought that was awkward. I thought the I have my sources was particularly cringy

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

happytramp wrote: »
    God, the tension when he accused him of have destroyed LeMond's company...... about 20 seconds of silence. Just dead air, nobody speaking.

yep, i thought the live stream was buffering a few times. awwwkward.

I dont agree. I thought he had some good points & didnt back down from asking tough questions..
    Lance has no credibility anymore at all...
    It shows how shallow & one dimensional he is...
    If u listen to the Ben Foster podcast.. That is really cringey.. Foster acts like a complete fanboy & was in awe of Lance...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭happytramp

Thought he was awful, it was like an Ali G interview spoof interview at times. I'm no fan of LA but thought that was awkward. I thought the I have my sources was particularly cringy

Didn't get that at all from it. Thought for something containing no new info it was very interesting. Lance's reactions were very telling. He has a pretty short fuse when the interview deviates from the way he wants it to go. His reactions to the motorised doping questions were strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Ah here , it was a terrible interview in my opinion.
    Gilroy stuttered through it at best , and the whole motor question was like a child questioning Armstrong . You could see Armstrong thought he was a fool .

• Advertisement

Arequipa wrote: »
    I dont agree. I thought he had some good points & didnt back down from asking tough questions..
    Lance has no credibility anymore at all...
    It shows how shallow & one dimensional he is...
    If u listen to the Ben Foster podcast.. That is really cringey.. Foster acts like a complete fanboy & was in awe of Lance...

Can't agree with u on that, I thought it was really bad, when an interviewer resorts to Saying "i have my sources" it's never good. I think gilroy had a list of questions and wasn't interested or able to flesh out the actual answers or even his non answers. What Id really like to hear or read is Paul kimmage interviewing him, gilroy was very amateur in my opinion. I actually think he was a bit overawed, it was a very fractured interview. To be honest tho I think it's a difficult topic, LA is an ex pro doper and got caught, he's ostracized he's been doing a certain amount of apologising which has or hasn't been excepted, there's nothing new since the story broke to really add to it.
    I thought the mechanical doping question was actually totally off the wall, Armstrong answered it and gilroy kept on going with the same line of questioning which was a bit daft.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

I don't really get what the point of Armstrong coming to Ireland and doing a radio interview like this now, doing this stupid OneZero speech. What it all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

Ah here , it was a terrible interview in my opinion.
    Gilroy stuttered through it at best , and the whole motor question was like a child questioning Armstrong . You could see Armstrong thought he was a fool .

Armstrong wanted to try and MAKE him come across like a fool because he was putting him under a bit of pressure.
    You have to ask why does Armstrong put himself out there for these interviews when comes across so uncomfortable, it was very easy for him to lie about everything now he seams to have trouble remembering what's the truth and what's lies.

SwissToni wrote: »
    Armstrong wanted to try and MAKE him come across like a fool because he was putting him under a bit of pressure.
    You have to ask why does Armstrong put himself out there for these interviews when comes across so uncomfortable, it was very easy for him to lie about everything now he seams to have trouble remembering what's the truth and what's lies.

So who was asking the questions again? I think gilroy was able to do that all by himself to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Rainman16 wrote: »
    I don't really get what the point of Armstrong coming to Ireland and doing a radio interview like this now, doing this stupid OneZero speech. What it all about?

Lance did the Newstalk interview over the phone. Newstalk are an official broadcaster for the OneZero event and, as such, I doubt he had much choice but to do the interview from a contractual point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

SwissToni wrote: »

Eh no , Gilroy made a complete balls of the motor questioning and he came across as a fool unfortunately (which he is not )

I think you are being unfair to Gilroy..
    He didn't shy away from asking tough question afte.r tough question...

Given how much Armstrong lied & the Machiavellian way he approached pro cycling, I think he was right to ask about mechanical doping...
    I thought Armstrong came across as a pompous muppet... After all the sh*te he spewed for years, we shouldn't believe a word he says... If mechanical doping was available, I think he would have looked at it...his reaction to this question shows like in the Oprah interview, that he still doesn't really feel sorry for anything & feels some sort of moral high ground in doping & kinda looks down on engines in bikes..
    He was like a spoiled kid at the end as he wasn't getting his ego massaged like in the Ben Foster podcast...

A friend of mine worked for him in Austin & by all accounts he is an arrogant, rude & cocky man

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Arequipa wrote: »
    I think you are being unfair to Gilroy..
    He didn't shy away from asking tough question afte.r tough question...

Given how much Armstrong lied & the Machiavellian way he approached pro cycling, I think he was right to ask about mechanical doping...
    I love thought Armstrong came across as a pompous muppet... After all the sh*te he spewed for years, we shouldn't believe a word he says... Of mechanical doping was available, I think he would have looked at it...
    He was like a spoiled kid at the end as he wasn't getting his ego massaged like in the Ben Foster podcast...

I didn't hear the interview yet but I have to pick you up on complimenting Gilroy for asking tough questions. Asking tough questions is not difficult. Anyone reading this could ask a tough question and be stonewalled by an interviewee that is practised in batting away the obvious line of questioning. An interviewer's skill lies in getting an interesting or novel answer ... An answer that elicits some information from the interviewee that we haven't heard before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I thought the interview was excellent. Ger Gilroy asked good questions and it showed, either intentionally or unintentionally, what a sociopath Armstrong really is. When asked any normal question that he had a prepared piece for he was just rattling off an answer like a kid in the leaving cert, but when asked something a bit more pointed he became very defensive and reverted very much to type.

There was nothing wrong with the motor doping question either in my opinion. Armstrong blew it all out of proportion for some reason. He could simply have said that technology wasn't around in his time, and no he was never offered the chance.

Right from the start Armstrong was trying to set the tone by trying to get Gilroy to stick to the few questions that he rattled off in one go. Probably because he had easy, roll off the tongue, made for idiot public consumption, answers to them. But Gilroy was well briefed and stuck it too him far, far more than he was ready for.

The way the interview ended said it all IMO. He's a fascinating character, but once again showed himself to be the complete and utter c*** that he still is when you start to dig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I didn't hear the interview yet but I have to pick you up on complimenting Gilroy for asking tough questions. Asking tough questions is not difficult. Anyone reading this could ask a tough question and be stonewalled by an interviewee that is practised in batting away the obvious line of questioning. An interviewer's skill lies in getting an interesting or novel answer ... An answer that elicits some information from the interviewee that we haven't heard before

Bull. Asking tough questions when part of the main stream media stream is, in fact, very difficult. As we have seen time and time again by those that don't ask the questions of those that need questioning, and for example by what happens to those that keep asking those questions, like Kimmage.

Advertisement