Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lance chickens out.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

buffalo wrote: »
    I thought the extension to the question was a tool to prevent Armstrong from rattling off a stock answer, and taking the interview in a definite direction that Gilroy wanted to explore - out of Armstrong's control.

I hate giving oxygen to anything Armstrong, but had a listen to this and Gilroy impressed me. As someone else said, the fact that Armstrong just hung up at the end says a lot.

Nonsense.
    The skill of an interviewer is not to piss off the interviewee to the point where they hang up, but to illicit interesting and/or heretofor unheard answers and detail.
    Imho, Gilroy was his usual self, the interview was about him and the oft 'lads', and not the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

EH...he didn't hang up. He thought the interview was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

terrydel wrote: »
    Nonsense.
    The skill of an interviewer is not to piss off the interviewee to the point where they hang up, but to illicit interesting and/or heretofor unheard answers and detail.
    Imho, Gilroy was his usual self, the interview was about him and the oft 'lads', and not the story.

He certainly elicited interesting answers imo. I haven't come across Gilroy much before, so you might be suffering some confirmation bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭pedro_colnago

There was certainly a feeling of 'look what I know' about gilroys questioning, granted it's going over old ground as the whole US postal and lance doping is in the public domain a few years so there's nothing new about it and I felt gilroy was attempting to just get a new angle on an old and often told story. It fell flat tho as once lance answered the mechanic doping question he should have moved on to something else. It kind of said it all that the only thing worth mentioning in newstalk sports news directly after the interview reported that Lance Armstrong wasn't surprised that the teams were using the TUE issue to there advantage, other than that there was nothing of note in the whole thing imo.

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    EH...he didn't hang up. He thought the interview was over.

He hung up rather than politely end the conversation on a 'goodbye, thanks for your time' kind of statement, at least that's how I read it.
    Pissing off Armstrong is no bad thing in my view, as he's a horrible piece of work, but if you are an interviewer, at least a good one, that should never be the intention or goal. Interviewing is a set of skills, and the primary skill is not displaying your intimate knowledge of the subject. Anyone can do that. The real skill is bringing the subject out of themselves, and getting insights and info that was previously not in the public arena. Gilroy went in two-footed and got nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The follow up could've been better, but Gilroy set up the context well and it was a fair enough question. I think Armstrongs main problem was it was the "everyone was doing/ everyone would do the same" ego massaging he's tended to have since the USADA report. And I still say fair play to Gilroy for that, as that was definitely the harder route to go.

Judging by facebook, the interview has got a good amount of international cycling press coverage anyway. I'm reserving judgement on whether he got nothing - the motor doping question could come back into focus if (and that's still a big if imo), there is anything to the suggestions by the inventor of him developing the technology in the 90's and Ferrari was a customer as he subsequently said to Gilroy. A real pity Gilroy didn't have the info about Ferrari before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

So anyway, it seems it's a case of "Lance Armstrong still a bollox shock!"

The cycling world was thrown into turmoil earlier today when it transpired, depite claims to the contrary, Lance Armstrong is still a total bollox.
    "Just when it seemed we were making a clean break from the past," lamented someone high up in professional cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Anyone else announced for the gig yet? It's an all-day event yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

reckon this will be a disaster of an event - the fact they didn't even countenance getting Kimmage to do the interview sums it up

LA won't say much more than he already has owing to ongoing court case in US

really only a couple of filler guests after LA - Clive Woodward, Shane Lowry and Jamie Fuller - threw in practically any journalist you can think of and that's your lot

Andalucia wrote: »
    reckon this will be a disaster of an event - the fact they didn't even countenance getting Kimmage to do the interview sums it up

LA won't say much more than he already has owing to ongoing court case in US

really only a couple of filler guests after LA - Clive Woodward, Shane Lowry and Jamie Fuller - threw in practically any journalist you can think of and that's your lot

Seems like a complete bull**** fest, the sporting equivalent of web summit.
    It will be full of 'thought leaders' and 'influencers' no doubt.
    Worshipping at the altar of bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Well Armstrong has cancelled his appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Well Armstrong has cancelled his appearance.

http://www.punditarena.com/cycling/thepateam/lance-armstrong-withdraws-one-zero-conference-15-hours-show/

Reminds me of the balloon boy joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I'm going to have to listen to the interview now after all this :(

I tried to stay uninterested but can't anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

So will people, who only wanted to see Armstrong, get their 175 yo-yos back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

According to the One Zero organiser Rob Hartnett:

"We are extremely disappointed that Armstrong has withdrawn at the last minute from appearing at One Zero. He has let us down, he has let his fans down and his has let down those that wanted to hear him openly discuss his past and the future of sport".

Eh, what fans and he has yet to talk openly about his full past.

Honestly, paying good money to hear him 'talk openly' while there is on going Federal litigation that could see him bankrupted or jailed is not going to happen. As always, it's all about Lance and Lance's terms!

be interesting to see the attendance at this event - very few paying customers anyway I would imagine, Eur 175 was cheapest ticket - few corporate gigs I suppose and plenty of free tickets dished around to skew the lack of paying customers - Ewan McKenna wasn't even get paid to interview Lance - fair enough some might say, but they weren't even covering his travelling expenses - crap concept to my mind anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Homer1798

Sales were that bad......................not enough fan boys anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Can a mod please change the title of this thread.:cool:

Richard Barrett of One Zero on Newstalk - what a muppet, Gilroy put him in his place

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Theyre refusing refunds also as they say it was more than just about LA being there but in reality anyone who was stupid enough to buy a ticket done so because LA was lying speaking at it. I'm guessing it'll be a complete wash out.

• Advertisement

Can a mod please change the title of this thread.:cool:

To what? Lance does exactly as Paul Kimmage predicted he'd do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

To what? Lance does exactly as Paul Kimmage predicted he'd do?

"Lance doesn't come to Dublin"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Theyre refusing refunds also as they say it was more than just about LA being there but in reality anyone who was stupid enough to buy a ticket done so because LA was lying speaking at it. I'm guessing it'll be a complete wash out.

I said weeks ago and someone else reiterated it earlier that it had a stink if web summit from it. Pointless get together run by self congratulating cretins who are "thinkers" and sh!the like that.

Anyone who paid 175 needs there heads checked, but I'd be absolutely demanding it back if I was a fool enough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Weepsie wrote: »
    I said weeks ago and someone else reiterated it earlier that it had a stink if web summit from it. Pointless get together run by self congratulating cretins who are "thinkers" and sh!the like that.

Anyone who paid 175 needs there heads checked, but I'd be absolutely demanding it back if I was a fool enough

Was always wrong to invite him anyway IMO. Why pay a man like that. They got what they deserved and their event will die a death.

They appear to have priced the tickets to ensure maximum demand - Student tickets were a snip at Eur 95

Is there seriously any tools out there who would pay Eur 775 for a VIP ticket?

Early Bird Tickets
    Sold out
    General Admission
    Full day ticket with access to all keynote interviews & panel discussions.
    €175
    Premium Seating Area
    - Priority Front of Stage Seating
    - Full day ticket with access to all keynote interviews & panel discussions.
    €475
    VIP Ticket
    For more details and group bookings, email corporate@onezerocon.com
    - Priority Front of Stage Seating
    - VIP Suite Access throughout the day
    - VIP Suite refreshments throughout the day
    - VIP Lunch with Panel and Keynote speakers in Attendance
    - VIP Drinks post event reception with Panel and Keynote speakers in Attendance
    €775
    EX. VAT @23%
    Student Tickets
    *Must have valid student ID
    €95

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

775, excluding VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

A liar and a coward. Good summation.

wonder was he ever really coming

was it just a handy way of getting his profile back in the public domain to promote his new podcast

seems like a real amateur set up - not paying the journalists involved

what is John Kavanagh going to have to say that's anyway different to the interview he gave Kimmage last week

Will Lowry retell the story of his couple of wins another time - the story won't change

Fuller - going to give out some free SKINS gear

Woodward - the least interesting of all the speakers

the Con in the name is apt alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Lumen wrote: »

Haven't listened but I think that's the direct link for this car-crash interview with the conference organiser:

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/Off_The_Ball_Highlights/162859/There_are_no_refunds__One_Zero_on_Lances_withdrawal

Web player. Classic interview. I wonder if Sir Clive is bringing Alastair Campbell along to help them with their dire, dire PR efforts.

Fair play to Gilroy for staying so polite.

Advertisement