Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lance chickens out.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Does putting "keynote" in front of "speaker" actually entice anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Trojan wrote: »
    Haven't listened but I think that's the direct link for this car-crash interview with the conference organiser:

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/Off_The_Ball_Highlights/162859/There_are_no_refunds__One_Zero_on_Lances_withdrawal

Web player. Classic interview. I wonder if Sir Clive is bringing Alastair Campbell along to help them with their dire, dire PR efforts.

Fair play to Gilroy for staying so polite.

On Morning Ireland his sidekick (I think) was saying that the number of people asking for refunds was tiny. But they weren't giving any.

If the number was tiny, why would they not refund people to protect their brand reputation?

"Lance - Putting The Zero into One Zero".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Have just listened to the Off The Ball interview with the organiser of the conference. Why try and blame Gilroy, and the whole 15 minutes v 30 minutes thing - what bs? It's either the Federal case, or he doesn't like hard(er) questions. If it's the latter then what was the point of him even going and the Organisers paying big bucks?

Fair play to Gilroy - that was more awkward than the Armstrong interview, and he has to go there and work for them over the weekend!

Must be something about these convention organisers - they really don't like any type of questioning...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

D9Male wrote: »
    I wouldn't give Gilroy that much credit. He is at it the whole time,and it strikes me that he is looking to showcase his knowledge of his subject to the audience, but in particular the interviewee. Listen to his Off the Ball interviews, I would say the average length of his questions is over 30 seconds.

Gilroy also seems to lack a little bit of skill in reading when an interviewee is getting cheesed off. I can live with the mechanical doping question, but not the follow-up.

I'm a bit late to the party but had a spare 10 mins last night and decided to listen the Gilroy - LA interview. Had to switch it off after four minutes cos I swear LA only said about 5 words in that time because Gilroy was on a quest with his endless question monologues. Without listening to it all Gilroy came across like a very nervous interviewer, to the point of barely letting the interviewee get a word in! I did think LA sounded like he was in bad form from the start, like he just got off the phone from the FBI just before the interview ;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Is this OneZero yoke someone's attempt at creating a sports version of the Web Summit? If so, I'll gladly add my schadenfreude to this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Does putting "keynote" in front of "speaker" actually entice anyone?

Theres enough idiots out there so I'm sure it does.

Moflojo wrote: »
    Is this OneZero yoke someone's attempt at creating a sports version of the Web Summit? If so, I'll gladly add my schadenfreude to this thread.

I think that's exactly what it is.
    So it will be wall to wall self important bull****, with people calling themselves 'thought leaders' and 'influencers' speaking their native language of bull****.
    I'd nuke both of these if I had the chance.
    Not one bit of sympathy for any idiot paying those ticket prices, they're mugs and deserve what they get.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He like Paddy Cosgrave doesn't seem to take being interviewed seriously. Dodging questions, refuting claims.

I work in third level education. I attend a lot of seminars, conferences and the sort. I help organise some too. You don't get that sense of self importance at too many of the genuinely innovative or interesting conferences that take place.

This is just a steaming pile of turd and always looked like one. One of signs of people seemingly being back in business is non events like this where you Pay to seem important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

"Keynote" speaker Lowry, discussing Golf and "Tech" to 40% empty seats.

14753397_1243432192364697_2484803236131424826_o.jpg

I work in IT and I ****ing hate the word 'Tech', its just become a brand now, with all that that entails.
    As for Lowry, he loves to be portrayed as the 'everyman' golfer when he is anything but. He is such a part of this new media establishment it is untrue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

terrydel wrote: »

I work in IT and I ****ing hate the word 'Tech', its just become a brand now, with all that that entails.
    As for Lowry, he loves to be portrayed as the 'everyman' golfer when he is anything but. He is such a part of this new media establishment it is untrue.

Same. Buzzword, innit, see also "cloud". Reminds me of "web 2.0" - whatever that meant.
    Lowry, hmm, the Adele of Golf.

Same. Buzzword, innit, see also "cloud". Reminds me of "web 2.0" - whatever that meant.
    Lowry, hmm, the Adele of Golf.

Hahaha, that's a great description of him.
    I love the saying 'its not the cloud, its just someone else's computer' :):)

Have a read of 'Disrupted' by Dan Lyons, its about the company Hubspot, but it's a great description of what the whole industry has become, swimming in a sea of it's own self-importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Weepsie wrote: »
    He like Paddy Cosgrave doesn't seem to take being interviewed seriously. Dodging questions, refuting claims.
    Same. Buzzword, innit, see also "cloud".

Speaking of which, you'll never guess what Paddy Cosgrave named his first child.....
    Cloud :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

Ah here, ease up on the Shane lowry bashing, it's not his fault Lance pulled out!

He's a fine golfer and I've hardly heard a dad word about him from anyone who's meet him.

blue note wrote: »
    Ah here, ease up on the Shane lowry bashing, it's not his fault Lance pulled out!

He's a fine golfer and I've hardly heard a dad word about him from anyone who's meet him.

You have your opinion of him, I have mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

blue note wrote: »

My DAD never speaks about him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

I think that's exactly what it is.
    So it will be wall to wall self important bull****, with people calling themselves 'thought leaders' and 'influencers' speaking their native language of bull****.
    I'd nuke both of these if I had the chance.
    Not one bit of sympathy for any idiot paying those ticket prices, they're mugs and deserve what they get.

Step away from the red button Donald.. ...
    And keep your hands where we can see them. There may be women present ..

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Homer1798

So nobody will get to ask about the e-mails sent to Clinton to get the Jeff Novitsky FDA's case buried, and donations to the Clinton Foundation........or was it too close to the bone when the motors were mentioned in an certain interview.... that a certain Hungarian engineer has admitted were available to a client in 1998 and had meetings with a certain Dr Ferrari at the time..........

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Why on earth would Ferrari be interested in motors. He was all about pushing the body beyond its limit. A motor would seem pointless unless all he wanted was to win, but that was likely never the sole reason

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Golf Tech? It's hitting a fking ball with a stick

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Daroxtar wrote: »

Its like pool then, or rounders

Weepsie wrote: »
    Why on earth would Ferrari be interested in motors. He was all about pushing the body beyond its limit. A motor would seem pointless unless all he wanted was to win, but that was likely never the sole reason
    The inventor in the interview on Newstalk said Ferrari was interested in them as an alternative to motor pacing (less exposure to fumes) and for injury recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Homer1798

Recoverng from an injury.............like surgery to remove cancer...........but why stop there......."win at all costs".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

It's as easy as riding a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,669 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Homer1798 wrote:
    that a certain Hungarian engineer has admitted were available to a client in 1998 and had meetings with a certain Dr Ferrari at the time..........

I thought the Hungarian inventor said on Off the Ball he only met Ferrari 3 years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

CramCycle wrote: »

Its like pool then, or rounders
    Or hurling. Or hockey. Or cricket. Or table tennis. Exactly like all of those.

Homer1798 wrote: »
    Recoverng from an injury.............like surgery to remove cancer...........but why stop there......."win at all costs".
    Well as has been said, whatever Ferrari's motives for interest, if they were introduced to others who weren't as bothered about just the human body...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

davef1000 wrote: »
    Or hurling. Or hockey. Or cricket. Or table tennis. Exactly like all of those.

It's just basically StickBall

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can a mod please change the title of this thread.:cool:
    Sorry for the delay.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    Sorry for the delay.....

"We are extremely disappointed that Beasty has taken til now to change the title. He has let us down, he has let his fans down and his has let down those that wanted to hear him openly discuss his past and the future of boards"

Advertisement