Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish that don't accept Irish Americans have a lot of nerve

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

tizi123 wrote: »
    I am sorry, but i am really having a hard time understanding what your point is, or what your story has to do with my story? You are clearly not offended for not being seen as Irish. And why would you be? You don't have a drop of irish blood, and you are not even a citizen, and you dont have any emotional bond to the history or heritage. Have you read what I have been trying to explain as to why the Irish American is so proud and is easily offended when he comes here? I guess not..peace

It's been a couple years since I was in the States. Does "peace" now actually mean "f*** you"? When I was living in the South, the equivalent expression was "Bless your heart".

The point is that I think you're a noddy for being offended by people not seeing you as Irish when you're an American. I got the impression that you thought you were being mistreated for being an American. I think you have a chip on your shoulder and you're ashamed to be what you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

I was born in Ireland, raised in the US, now I'm back 10 years but still get called yank etc., due to my accent. And you know what... I don't care. At all. I know where I was born and who I was born to, I don't need to be accepted as 'one of us' by some fellas I meet on the street to make me Irish.

You were born in America, OP. But guess what really makes you American? The way you're going on about how Ireland would be nothing is not for Irish Americans, saying they should 'have some respect', telling people they're 'playing with fire', etc. that's the kind of arrogance and aggression Americans are known for.

Oh, and calling someone birdbrain. You would never hear someone from this side of the Atlantic come out with such a corny insult.

You sound exactly like a stereotypical American jack@ss and that's why you are being pegged as such. Sorry bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tizi123

Speedwell wrote: »
    It's been a couple years since I was in the States. Does "peace" now actually mean "f*** you"? When I was living in the South, the equivalent expression was "Bless your heart".

The point is that I think you're a noddy for being offended by people not seeing you as Irish when you're an American. I got the impression that you thought you were being mistreated for being an American. I think you have a chip on your shoulder and you're ashamed to be what you are.

wow lady, you are one hell of an assumption roll. I do not know how many times I already said that THIS POST began and remained about me being offended as not being recognized by irishman as an "irish american" not as plain "Irish". ffs.

And know, peace means bless your heart, but i guess you can continue to assume it's something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tizi123

Clampdown wrote: »
    You were born in America, OP. But guess what really makes you American? The way you're going on about how Ireland would be nothing is not for Irish Americans, saying they should 'have some respect', telling people they're 'playing with fire', etc. that's the kind of arrogance and aggression Americans are known for.

Lets break down your tangled logic. You just told that me that speaking out to someone who offended me by negating my family history (the dude i met on the street and anyone who thinks like him) and implied that my family was weak because only the strong stayed to fight the cause (even though the guy didnt have a clue that we immigrated in the 1930's) makes me american. And defending myself and my family history by speaking up the truth (reminding them why irish americans should not be disrespected because we did a lot for ireland) makes me, american. So are you implying that a real irishman would just take the abuse?

Maybe you are the type that just eats offence, shrugs it off and simply doesn't care. But that's not me. That's not many people, irish or american.

As per "birdbrain", im sorry im not meeting your standard of insults haha

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Listening to your granny go on about the aul sod and waving your tricolour at the st Patrick's day parade is not what makes you Irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Wow, this must be some kind of record for boards.ie.

A noob drops by - with eight posts to his credit - and almost instantly makes a negative hit with most every other poster here. AND entails an 'honourable' mention from a category moderator into the thread as well.

This thread is getting way too serious for me - even to try and get my head around - but reminding a couple of Irish lads that they would still be living in mud huts, gathering wunkles at the falling tide whilst fighting off them wicked British landlords if it hadn't been for the money and guns of the American Irish is NOT a diplomatic way of trying to make a lasting impression of fellow-nationality.

I'd like to point out that within the last 45 years, many of those guns, so generously imported into Ireland from the US of A, were used by Irishmen to kill fellow Irishmen, women and children, but in a spirit of reconciliation, I won't.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

A bit of perspective,

I've lived in the USA for over twenty years, they all identify themselves by their heritage. You ask any American "what are they?" And they'll give you some formula like the poster above, polish/German/French...etc etc.

They are all aware of their ethnic makeup. I know it might sound crazy to non Americans but the country is only comparatively new and most people have ancestors from other countries and its something that people cherish .

You can keep insisting that they should identify themselves as solely american but its a meaningless argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,261 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

tizi123 wrote:
    [...] implied that my family was weak because only the strong stayed to fight the cause (even though the guy didnt have a clue that we immigrated in the 1930's) makes me american. And defending myself and my family history by speaking up the truth (reminding them why irish americans should not be disrespected because we did a lot for ireland) makes me, american.

How in earth did you even get o to the topic of Irish revolution? Revolution was topical in the 1930s but is just history now.

If you said 'im Irish American meaning I'm american and I have Irish ancestry' I doubt anyone would have objected. I often wonder if Americans with specific ancestry call themselves 'irish' or 'italian' as shorthand for Irish American or Italian American etc.

Nationality means something different in Ireland and America. That's what I've learned from this threads

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

NIMAN wrote:
    An American tourist in Ireland knows about Boards, sets up and account to moan about a random comment made on the streets????

To be honest it's something an American would be at

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

eviltwin wrote: »
    Listening to your granny go on about the aul sod and waving your tricolour at the st Patrick's day parade is not what makes you Irish

St. Patty's* Day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 conndeal

Many of my relatives emigrated to America from the 1800's up to 1950. They left poverty here and America was good to them. I have great time for America.

However I have no time for the IRA or anyone who sent money or guns to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Lets be honest OP,

All we ever here of from American Tourists is that their somehow Irish.

Judging from your post, I wouldn't welcome you with open arms either.

Your an American, is that a bad thing? no (maybe if Trump gets elected :P)

Don't brand us all under the same brush, just like I wouldn't brand every American under one.

Get over it, I'm heading to vegas in 2 days and I can guarrentee you I will run into some Americans who claim to be Irish somehow.

What I really don't understand is why alot of Americans like saying it? I mean this place is a **** hole hahaha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mullyboyee

OP you're not Irish.

I'm sorry you can't accept that but there it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Last night I was walking around Dublin and I bump into a couple local lads. We say hello, how are ya? To say the least, our conversation led me to revealing that I am Irish American.

That was brave of you
    The lad responded and said to me, that's bull****, you're not Irish, you're American. I was a little taken aback by the comment but I responded by saying yes unfortunately we were one of many families that were forced to leave. And then he crossed the line...He said if they were patriots they would have stayed and fought for the cause...

Sounds like he just may be winding you up?
    Or he's an idiot.
    Either way, not really very smart of you to take it to heart.
    As someone from the cunthry/wesht I regularly got slagged of by Dublin "locals". I either laughed it off or engaged with the banter

The goddamn nerve. And it's not just him, but I have noticed this common thread of resentment and ignorance in many working class Irish toward Irish Americans.

To all of you who think like this I say this...

You are really playing with fire.

If it wasn't for the barrels of money, ships of guns, and Irish american support not just during the rising but for the past 100 years you would be still living in the smallest backwater province of the british empire. The goddamn nerve.

Wow, a couple of guys on the street insult you and you take to insulting a whole nation in return.

What would we do without our "American" saviours? Thanks for those guns, really smoothed things out over here. Send us an invoice and we'll pop you a receipt in the post. I hear you really sorted out the middle east, south america and Asia also (did I miss any part of the world your guns saved?)
    I love "Team America - World Police" F**k Yeah!
    My family immigrated to america in the 1930's and my grandfather fought in the IRA under Michael Collins, we didn't all leave prior to the rising and so what if they did? We probably spent thousands of years on this island and a 100 in america and all of a sudden we are not Irish?

What's even more laughable is that I have noticed that any time an American or foreign celebrity claims Irish heritage you quickly claim them as being one of your own, yet the average tourist isn't?

I could go on and on, but i believe i made my point.

We have shared heritage here and I respect your love for Ireland. Do yourself a favour though and don't take some idiots on the street so seriously and stop insulting everyone on here with your arrogance. It's more befitting of an American than an Irishman.

You may well be a very pleasant likeable human being but you're not coming across that way here. And seriously, get used to be called the yank. Consider it a term of endearment, all my local americans (regardless of heritage or time in the country) are lovingly called yanks.

Have a great evening

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

You're not Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I appreciate many of the comments and yes i do hope it was just the perspective of some ignorant folk.

It seems many of you are not liking what i said about Ireland not being what it is today if it hadn't been for the support of the Irish Americans in the past 100 years.

Who do you think your number one visitor is apart from the UK? Americans, why? Irish Americans. And the truth is, with the money poured in tourism alone Ireland has benefited beyond greatly. It's not about me throwing it up to your face, its about respecting that. Have some respect.

And by the way, I decided to write this on boards.ie because i have been living in Ireland for a few years now.

Respect is earned not given and your comments because of a couple of people showed quiet a lot of disrespect. If it wasn't for a lot of Americans who build America ye would have to do it yourself. You know the Whit House was designed by an Irish man James Hoban. And the First Naval win by Americans in the Revolution War was a Ship captained by an Irish man from Wexford. So grow a set realised you were a bit peeved and realised your first post should not have been written

Do think this is a windup

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    What I really don't understand is why alot of Americans like saying it? I mean this place is a **** hole hahaha.

As I've said...

America is a young country, all people (except for native americans) have ancestors from other countries.

Thats why they say it. I'm sure there's americans all over italy and spain etc etc, telling the natives the same thing.

Save

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Mod note
    This thread looks to have run its course and is veering away from the topic of History, it is time to close.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement