Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing euro to pounds?

• 13-09-2016 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi guys,

I'm studying in the uk at the moment and currently have both a uk and Irish bank account. I've been working here at home all summer and so have a bit of money saved that I'd like to covert to pounds to live on over there. Would anyone know the cheapest way for me to do this? Not sure if a direct bank transfer would rip me off or not.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Use currency fair.

I only started recently. I change about £1k every month as I get paid in the north but my house and bills are in the south.

On a £1k exchange I get around €9 more than the best exchange I've found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Currencyfair or transferwise are the two best options. I think Nationwide UK says they do a GBP current account here, that went you switch from EUR to GBP they give an excellent rate as they said that is one of their most used products in Ireland. But I dont know if it is better than currencyfair or transferwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Try calling a couple of banks and asking what fees are, or what the exchange on x amount would be.

Slap the figures into XE and you'll get a decent ballpark of what they're taking off your earnings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Don't use the banks, they'll screw you for the exchange rate. Use Transferwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Revolut is another good option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

In my experience, I'd go with CurrencyFair before any bank. Banks don't give the best rates.

Advertisement