Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul Festival 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Peesh89

Is anyone else actually excited by the line up?
    been listening to idiotape and cannot wait to see them, can understand they wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea though.. Vitalic, amazing. Bonobo, Bantum, saw Songhoy Blues when they played a few years ago and they were brilliant, ae mak and metronomy are definitely goers too.
    I am excite.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭kwat

Peesh89 wrote: »
    been listening to idiotape and cannot wait to see them, can understand they wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea though.. Vitalic, amazing. Bonobo, Bantum, saw Songhoy Blues when they played a few years ago and they were brilliant, ae mak and metronomy are definitely goers too.
    I am excite.

Have to admit I hadn't heard of hardly any of the line-up but after listening the past few months I'm really excited now.
    Looking forward to Rufus the most. Also Bonobo, Metronomy, Vitalic, Elaine Mai, AE Mak, Talos, Lyra, Le Boom, King Kong Company.

Roll on Friday week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

The body&soul by day/body&soul by night spotify playlists are actually pretty good selections for anyone looking to delve into the lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭BikesKilleen

I am excite.

Really excited by it to be honest. Bonobo, Vitalic, DJ Deece, RUFUS, Rufus, Sinkane, New Jackson, Parcels, Avalon Emerson, Ryan Vail & Talos are doing it for me lately.

Can't wait for the Reckless In Love stage being taken over by maeve with Mano Le Tough and more on Saturday.

Very solid lineup now although I think they waited too long to have the big names announced which is why they're struggling to sellout (at least I think they are from the amount of social media posts this year)

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Can't wait to hear Avalon Emerson. Only started listening to her stuff this year and she has some great eps out, but this set from london sold it for me https://soundcloud.com/avalonemerson/avalon-emerson-live-at-printworks-london-march-2017

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 woolly mammoth

I have a spare campervan ticket for sale if anyone is looking for one. PM me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Still feeling underwhelmed by the line-up - tried listening to a number of the acts I didn't know that well and am still feeling like this is the least exciting I've seen at B&S.

I've been to all the festvials since 2012 and for me it's the least exciting musically so far.

2012: M83, St. Vincent, Villagers, John Talabot, Redinho, Kormac’s Big Band

I'd probably take all of them over any act on this year's bill. And the festival was a lot smaller and cheaper back then.

That said, still can't wait - this is the festival we bring our kids to so the music is less important for us in deciding to go.

Between Giant Bubbles, Superhero Cape Making, Will Softly's disco, the playground in the Reggae Area, the hot tubs, the tasty food trucks and many many many other sources of random fun and weirdness much enjoyment will be had :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think Bonobo alone will make this worth it for me, but there's a decent enough standard with the card to make sure that's its an enjoyable weekend, imo.

Only had a quick listen to Bonobo and not immediately gripped...

Got 5 top tunes you'd recommend, Knex?

• Advertisement

Ha, I think they're literally the Spotify recommended top 5.

Hard to argue with those, and all but Cirrus is from the latest album.

No Reason is done with Nick Murphy (formerly Chet Faker) and that along with Kerala might be the easiest to get into, for sure.

I'm not normally a person for listening to albums in their track order, from start to finish, but Bonobo's Migration album is one that I would recommend doing that for. Its easy listening, so you can have it on as background music and still get a good feel for the artist.

Something like Towers or Transits the North Borders album might also be worth a listen.

He's a lot more involving live with the full band and vocalist compared to on record. He switches between playing bass guitar with the band and DJ'ing by himself for the heavier more danceable tunes.

I think Bonobo is a quintessentially perfect Body and Soul main stage headliner. I only bought a ticket when he was announced. The light show on the current tour is going to be something else in the night time.
    Knex. wrote: »
    Something like Towers or Transits the North Borders album might also be worth a listen.

Black Sands is also essential, I feel that was his breakout album.

Friend of mine saw Bonobo in London a few weeks ago (I believe tickets were £100 each for just him alone), and said the performance was incredible.

I really do think people will enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭BikesKilleen

Yeah yeah I know I keep raving about this guy Bonobo but this is from just under a month and a half ago in Glasgow, this would be a good representation of what his live show looks like. If he is closing the main stage we'll get the hour and a half set like this video clip and if he is subbing he will probably be doing an hour set.

Bonobo is supposed to put on an amazing line show as demonstrated here! Defo one not to miss over the weekend.

Anyone else see that we're due fairly unreal weather this weekend? The weekend that B&S has been on the last few years.. plz plz plz carry over to next week.

some reports over on the weather forum that we're due to go back to more unsettled weather later into next week. Hoping this will not be the case of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Regarding Bonobo, I've been using Setlist.FM to see recent live set lists and base my listening off of that:

http://www.setlist.fm/search?query=artist%3A(bonobo)

Best way to hear stuff you're likely to hear live :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

some reports over on the weather forum that we're due to go back to more unsettled weather later into next week. Hoping this will not be the case of course.

Right now the GFS model is showing a fairly settled weekend, rain staying away from Ballinlough until Saturday night when there will be some light showers, dry again Sunday until the late afternoon when there will be some light/medium rain.

But at the minute it looks to be right on a knife edge, there could be a really small shift and it's rainy all weekend, or dry all weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭DanielSwords

Don't know if it's been noted yet but Bonobo listed as playing the Saturday on his website. And would I be right in assuming all the acts listed on the advertisements for Sunday tickets on Facebook will be playing the Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Don't know if it's been noted yet but Bonobo listed as playing the Saturday on his website. And would I be right in assuming all the acts listed on the advertisements for Sunday tickets on Facebook will be playing the Sunday?

I suppose it could be Saturday or Sunday now, in the Glastonbury forum at Efestivals they thought he was going to be announced for Sunday, but then he wasn't announced at all. Shouldn't they be releasing the stage times by now anyway.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BeezerBalls

2 Family weekend passes with campervan pass for Body and Soul . Admits 2 adults and up to four children. Selling for face value of 392 ono.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

The north borders tour live album on Spotify is much livelier, with guest female vocals , almost heading in Base Jaxx or Disclosure direction, though not quite.

Knex. wrote: »
    Ha, I think they're literally the Spotify recommended top 5.

Hard to argue with those, and all but Cirrus is from the latest album.

No Reason is done with Nick Murphy (formerly Chet Faker) and that along with Kerala might be the easiest to get into, for sure.

I'm not normally a person for listening to albums in their track order, from start to finish, but Bonobo's Migration album is one that I would recommend doing that for. Its easy listening, so you can have it on as background music and still get a good feel for the artist.

Cirrus is from his North Borders album in 2013 and No Reason doesn't have Nick Murphy singing with them live its Szjerdene who sings the vocal live, i actually prefer her version. Bonobo at times comes across as a Massive Attack type sound crossed with the bell like sounds you hear on some of Four Tets records and of course, their dabbling with esoteric sounds and world music such as the track from Migration, Bambro Koyo Ganda. I canna wait to see them.

Ok ok, you've all convinced me :)

Had a few of the Bonobo tracks turned up to 11 in the car on the commute in this morning - not his No. 1 fan yet but he's growing on me... Cirrus and We Could Forever are two that I noticed in particular.

If he is on the Saturday, am very likely to check him out as that's the night I'm likely to be free from the kids for a few hours.

Anyone else think there's a bit of a Caribou type vibe to this guy?

B&S just posted in facebook that they have brought the old main stage back, I much prefer to the one they had last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Peesh89

B&S just posted in facebook that they have brought the old main stage back, I much prefer to the one they had last year.

Day made

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

So far from what i can make out it's:

Fri
    ===
    Songhoy Blues*
    King Kong Company*

Sat
    ===
    Bonobo
    Vitalic
    DBFC
    Lambchop

Sun
    ===
    Mykki Blanco
    Austra
    Birdy Nam Nam
    Sinkane
    RUFUS

*Possibly just listing first day of festival

Moonlandingz play Saturday at Glastonbury
    King Kong Company play Sunday at Glastonbury

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

Hi, is a name change necessary if buying a ticket third party / from toutless etc?
    I've seen people say on toutless that they'll do a name change for x amount extra?

Advertisement