Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul Festival 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

my group has similarly been going since 2011, and are also giving it a miss and doing FF again for the first time in a couple of years.
    true, they're very different festivals, but there's only so many times you can give a crap about some NCAD student's decorations on a tree, a random disco ball or some logs to sit on in a forest clearing.
    lineup wins out over the same tired cliches and "the vibe" every time for us at this stage.

it's the same with EP, been going since 2005 but a bad lineup and we'd all be happy to drop it like a hot snot.

That's fine, but would you claim the same is true of everyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

Every year my group of mates go to B&S but this year nobody is really arsed with it. It was way to packed last year and that totally took away from it. That, as well as the poor line up has us going to a couple of smaller festivals around the place instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Sandwell wrote: »
    I've heard they're struggling to sell tickets this year and with that lineup it's little wonder. I'd also say a lot of people have been put off by last years experience, both the general overcrowding and the chaos caused by the rain.

I'm one of those... been going the last four years. After last years we decided we wouldn't go back. Last year I felt it really lost its magical vibe. Didn't like the move of reckless in love out of the woods either. With the line up this year, no mother djs stage and same capacity I'm not regretting the decision at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

:eek: This is good, baked outta ma head so even better ha ha.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

MJohnston wrote: »
    Maybe they are, maybe they're using the money on the rest of the festival, that won't really be clear until after its over unfortunately.

FF always have the strongest lineup. They're in the middle of a city which instantly makes things substantially cheaper in terms of logistics. They don't spend money on non-musical aspects. The fest is slathered in corporate sponsorship. They don't really organise much in the way of food options, and the bars are taken care of by the aforementioned headline sponsors. There is no camping to facilitate. Site security is significantly easier and cheaper due to the existing secure aspects of the site itself. And because most people buy day tickets rather than weekend tickets, the overall ticket income over 3 days ends up much the same as B&S final tier weekend prices.

I'm saying all this not as a knock against FF, but purely to point out why they can afford so much more money spent on booking artists.

Now, I bought my B&S at the cheapest possible price, so I'm not too bothered by the lineup anyway, but I definitely disagree that festivals live and die by their lineups. That may be true for some people, but not for many others too. My point is, FF has nothing to offer anyone *other than* the lineup, B&S definitely does.

Yeah i get that, my point is B&S has been stripping back the 'extras' over the last few years whilst jacking up the price.

They've tripled the attendance on basically the same site, but seem to have the same amount of staff. We queued for 2 hours last year to get into the Us&You campsite. The year before you had the crazy decision to open the gates at 3pm, meaning people who had arrived at noon only got in and had their tents set up at 8pm.

I'm all for checking out new acts at festivals, it's one of the things i look forward to at the festival, but last year you had a situation where for large parts of the festival there was nobody at the main stage and the new Reckless in Love area because they were unfamiliar with the acts, meaning that all other areas of the festival were overrun with people and it was uncomfortable. I'm guessing it will be the same this year.

I understand they might be trying to cut down on the scumbaggery, but if you don't give people something to look forward to & charge them through the nose they'll just go somewhere else.

• Advertisement

Yeah i get that, my point is B&S has been stripping back the 'extras' over the last few years whilst jacking up the price.

They've tripled the attendance on basically the same site, but seem to have the same amount of staff. We queued for 2 hours last year to get into the Us&You campsite. The year before you had the crazy decision to open the gates at 3pm, meaning people who had arrived at noon only got in and had their tents set up at 8pm.

I'm all for checking out new acts at festivals, it's one of the things i look forward to at the festival, but last year you had a situation where for large parts of the festival there was nobody at the main stage and the new Reckless in Love area because they were unfamiliar with the acts, meaning that all other areas of the festival were overrun with people and it was uncomfortable. I'm guessing it will be the same this year.

I understand they might be trying to cut down on the scumbaggery, but if you don't give people something to look forward to & charge them through the nose they'll just go somewhere else.

That's all great, and you'll note I wasn't really defending B&S, merely pointing out that FF can't really be compared to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Interesting discussion.

Happy with the addition of Austra and no doubt I'll find some hidden gems (Moonlandingz already seem fun) but the winds have definitely been taken out of the sails a bit.

Have we had any other 'big' announcements after this point in recent years?

At least the free-flow drink system is still in place. B&S don't get enough credit for this - it makes life so much easier and puts them miles ahead of other festivals for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Went every year for the first 4 years and it was amazing. The line up was generally good but in the first 2 years in particular it was irrelevant because the festival was like nothing else in Ireland. Missed the occasional year because of weddings and was always gutted when we did.

Last time I went was 2 years ago and had a good time but I'm definitely no longer gutted to be missing it. The queues to get in and the overcrowding when they shut down the woods were a real turn off. Not to say I won't be back but there are better small festivals in Ireland now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Rfrip wrote: »
    I'm one of those... been going the last four years. After last years we decided we wouldn't go back. Last year I felt it really lost its magical vibe. Didn't like the move of reckless in love out of the woods either. With the line up this year, no mother djs stage and same capacity I'm not regretting the decision at all.
    They ruined the mainstage by turning it sideways too. Lost the nice shape it had facing up the hill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

They ruined the mainstage by turning it sideways too. Lost the nice shape it had facing up the hill

While it might have allowed for bigger crowds around that stage*, it definitely took away form the amphitheatre atmosphere/vibe.

*I don't think that was properly tested though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

While it might have allowed for bigger crowds around that stage*, it definitely took away form the amphitheatre atmosphere/vibe.

*I don't think that was properly tested though.
    Yeah I couldnt hear the Gloaming from in front of stage at all, but could hear ok when I moved up the hill at the side

Main stage at B&S is always a bit of a conundrum, last time I went two years ago it just felt so disconnected from the rest of the festival site.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭Charlie

There was definitely issues last year with logistics and capacity. As pointed out, if your main stage is weak, the other areas have to take the brunt. The Midnight Circus and Secret Garden just seemed too packed 90% of the time.

With the weather as well, many people seem to take refuge in tented arenas, irrespective of their interest in the act. I was delighted with the Comedy lineup last year, and had 5 different acts I really wanted to see. Despite arriving 45 mins before each act, I never had a sniff of getting inside the comedy act.

All that said, I will go this year. But if they haven't made a conscious effort to address last years issues, than I think I'll definitely be on the lookout next summer for a new 'small/boutique' festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

I preferred stage set up for main stage last year, seemed less disconnected.

I would agree with others on the thread on the line up, if doesn't get better I will be selling, which means someone who would have bought new tickets will pick up mine. Though many of the acts would be interesting to see, a low level line up would not be compensated by the vibe.

I am an EP veteran of 10 years and really enjoyed the B&S more the last two years despite lower level line up, but this line up would not cut it. For organsiers it is probably too late to book big acts which means they are probably looking at lack of attendance and a loss, which i wouldn't like to see. But this strategy isn't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Interesting discussion.

Happy with the addition of Austra and no doubt I'll find some hidden gems (Moonlandingz already seem fun) but the winds have definitely been taken out of the sails a bit.

Have we had any other 'big' announcements after this point in recent years?

At least the free-flow drink system is still in place. B&S don't get enough credit for this - it makes life so much easier and puts them miles ahead of other festivals for me

I think Super Furry Animals were added at the start of May in 2015, don't remember too much from the late additions last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

It definitely feels like they're actively trying to drive people away between the price hikes and their weakest line-up in years.

This is our family festival so it may actually make things better for us if there's less people milling about and less music for me to wish I was at while the youngun wanted another go on the helter skelter....

If they are actually to invest the higher ticket prices in a better, quirkier space for us to wander around for the weekend, then 2017 could still be a good year for BnS

(but i'm feeling doubtful...)

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Line-up wise, only plus was seeing maeve listed although they are missing from some of the promotional material.

I'm assuming that means the record label and that The Drifter will be in attendance - very very fond memories of him closing the Reckless in Love stage on a magical Saturday night in the woods a few years back.

Will Mano Le Tough also be around I wonder?

Line-up wise, only plus was seeing maeve listed although they are missing from some of the promotional material.

I'm assuming that means the record label and that The Drifter will be in attendance - very very fond memories of him closing the Reckless in Love stage on a magical Saturday night in the woods a few years back.

Will Mano Le Tough also be around I wonder?

Playing Electric Picnic this year.

Good article on small niche festivals in Guardian. Lessons for B&S.
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/apr/04/has-the-leftfield-holiday-camp-festival-had-its-day-safe-as-milk?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Although was never sure of attraction of holiday camp festivals. Trabolgan in Nov with riptide movement and aslan anyone?😱
    Peter

• Advertisement

Almost certain I saw a post about additions on Facebook this morning but I can't find it now. All I can remembers is Ships were on the list.

Oh, here we go, it was Nialler9:
    http://nialler9.com/bodysoul-add-kelsey-lu-lyra-ships-rufus-homebeat-alice-lineups-more/amp/
    Additions include:

RÜFÜS – Australian dance outfit
    Kelsey Lu – Brilliant cellist
    Brooke Bentham – Newcastle indie-rock
    Lyra – Cork electro-pop
    Ships – Dublin synth-pop duo
    I Have A Tribe – piano-folk pop

Pagoda Stage:

Ryan Vail – electronic contemporary composer
    Auxiliary Phoenix Trio – Jazz and hip hop fusion
    Dowth – synth drones and samples
    PrYmary Colours – electronic pop
    Wastefellow – electronic experimentalism

Unofficial Spotify Playlist Updated
    https://open.spotify.com/user/1156127652/playlist/5tRMwREFbF6bZu6PKdt5Ys

Line Up still underwhelming

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Don't know too many of the acts announced today but ships are brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Are there to be any more names added to the lineup or is that the last of it?

Yeah I have to say the B&S line up this year is as obscure as hell, so lots of discovering to do this edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭kwat

This time 9 weeks the gates will be open :)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Myself and a few mates considering buying tickets for this. Seems like there's only the €195 family camping tickets left.

I've never been before. If we bought these, would it mean that we have to camp with the families? We're a bunch of lads in our twenties so wouldn't necessarily want that.

Any chance of getting any cheaper, regular camping tickets?

I don't think its sold out though, I don't recall seeing the 'sold out tickets' sign on their facebook page as yet, probably not a good idea to buy family tickets as I've heard about them knocking people back with family tickets if they have no children with them.

• Advertisement

Yeah, you'll not get into the family camping if you're not with kids. That's the point of it!

Advertisement