Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Morbidly Obese and Mortified.

• 13-09-2016 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sammysnail016

I weighed myself the other day and I am 17.4 stone.

I am disgusted with myself. I obviously know how I got here, takeaways. chocolate, wine and deli's.

My health is also at risk, I have PCOS from it and also developing sleep apnea. I am on anti depressants and feel like I am so far stuck in a rut I can't get out.

I am with my partner for three years and we are taking about babies and our future so that should be a goal for me.. but I can't shake my bad habits.

He is a great support but apart from spoon feeding me he can't do any more ~ My diet is an absolute disaster ~ I have an office job so my exercise is zero also.

We really want to start clean eating but I sabotage myself in everyday.

Any advise welcome. X

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Eat healthily and go for a walk every evening. Take it from there.

You need self-discipline or to seek professional help, nobody here can help you only point you in the right direction.

Nutrition info here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055157091

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

I am disgusted with myself. I obviously know how I got here, takeaways. chocolate, wine and deli's.

My health is also at risk, I have PCOS from it and also developing sleep apnea. I am on anti depressants and feel like I am so far stuck in a rut I can't get out.

I am with my partner for three years and we are taking about babies and our future so that should be a goal for me.. but I can't shake my bad habits.

He is a great support but apart from spoon feeding me he can't do any more ~ My diet is an absolute disaster ~ I have an office job so my exercise is zero also.

Any advise welcome. X

very similar to another poster:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057641340

rereg? are you the same poster? or is it just coincidence?

either way have a read of the thread above.

start slow and steady and dont panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sammysnail016

Thanks, no not me but does sound very like me! Great advise on that too so I will have a read

Any advise welcome. X
    Thanks, no not me but does sound very like me! Great advise on that too so I will have a read
    Pecker31 wrote:
    Ok so here we go, I have hit rock bottom. I weighed myself the other day and I am slightly over 17 stone. I am disgusted with myself. I obviously know how I got here, takeaways. chocolate, wine and deli's.

Any tips. I know eat less move more ~ I just wish I could see it.

My diet is an absolute disaster ~ I have an office job so my exercise is zero also.

Thank you
    that is weird isnt it, your posts are almost word for word the same... crazy...

Busted eh, sorry I couldn't find my other thread and I was getting paranoid that some of my friends would know its me hence I changed my name!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Join a gym, and get a routine in place.

Maybe ensure gym has TV's that you can watch whilst you cycle, and watch your TV show whilst you cycle? Only watch said programs that you love at gym, so you associate gym with enjoyment of TV. This will help motivate you to goto the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

At your current weight you would shed the fat quite quickly from a very simple reduction in your caloric intake.

You'll want to start yourself off slow, no point to jump into a huge deficit and workout regime if you've never done it before.

You're taking in a huge excess of calories daily to maintain that weight, so right away I'd go for 750 less calories in your diet. Do this without fail for 2-3 months and even without any exercise you'd lose a dramatic amount of weight.

This is not easy. Weight loss is close to 90% diet. You will need to track and weight ALL your food.

Go out any buy a digital food scale today and get a calorie tracking app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭meme74

You have been given this advice already on the other thread! Start slow and little by littl;e make improvements, reposting on boards over and over wont help you lose weight or give you some magic fix. We cant do it for you, only you can.

Thanks Meme, I understand this of course but I finding peoples comments helpful, anyone will to post is helping me and if they finding it annoying or a waste of time then they don't have to.

I know I posted before but I couldn't find the thread and deleted my account for reasons listed above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Have you done anything based on the advice you were given in the previous thread?

• Advertisement

Have you done anything based on the advice you were given in the previous thread?

Hi Alf ~ Yep I bought myself a scales and weight myself every Saturday, in two weeks I am down 6lbs so hopefully I can keep it going, am also using "My Fitness Pal" to track calories etc.

Hi Alf ~ Yep I bought myself a scales and weight myself every Saturday, in two weeks I am down 6lbs so hopefully I can keep it going, am also using "My Fitness Pal" to track calories etc.

That's a start :)

How are you finding it so far? What have you changed and what have you still to address?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

another tip would be to find a sport or activity that you'll enjoy rather than exercising purely for exercise' sake, makes it a lot easier to stay motivated!

Finding it grand but today I came to work and stopped for a sausage sandwich, my thoughts were like "oh f**k it" I give 0% will power and my heart isn't in it and then in another sentence I really want to lose it and get healthy.

Its a constant battle

look pecker31 or sammysnail you can say you cant find it or that you deleted your account personally, im a bit pissed off and in all honestly dont believe you.

i spent time and effort posting to try and help you and you know yourself that you PM'd me a good few times and we went back and forth and I offered you all the support in the world.

its a slap in the face to those that spent time and effort to support you and offer advise.

I dont want to be harsh and at the end of the day your a stranger on the internet so what should i care, but you obviously havnt taken any of the advise on board.

your also clearly lying about not begin able to find the original post because its word for word the same post. You would have to be rainman to post the same thing in the exact same wording and paragraph spacing etc a month or so apart.

give over, go for a walk this evening and stop eating ****. simples. reread the old thread if you want advise.

look pecker31 or sammysnail you can say you cant find it or that you deleted your account personally, im a bit pissed off and in all honestly dont believe you.

i spent time and effort posting to try and help you and you know yourself that you PM'd me a good few times and we went back and forth and I offered you all the support in the world.

its a slap in the face to those that spent time and effort to support you and offer advise.

I dont want to be harsh and at the end of the day your a stranger on the internet so what should i care, but you obviously havnt taken any of the advise on board.

your also clearly lying about not begin able to find the original post because its word for word the same post. You would have to be rainman to post the same thing in the exact same wording and paragraph spacing etc a month or so apart.

give over, go for a walk this evening and stop eating ****. simples. reread the old thread if you want advise.

Never once said I was never grateful or never once said I didn't take anything on board, I did say I did post it and that I couldn't find the old thread.

I did say I was finding it hard and that the comments are very helpful to help my willpower ~ I remember you PM'ing me and it was very much appreciated. If I am annoying you posting here then don't comment ~ I set up this new thread for reasons that I listed ~ nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It can be a bit harder than simply eat less rubbish and eat more healthy food. It's often the emotional side of food that is the problem.

OP what worked for me was keeping a detailed food diary, I wrote down everything I ate and my mood. It didn't take long to see where my triggers were. I could then put non food related things in place to get me over the hump. I was an emotional eater but didn't realise it till I saw it written down.

Take it one day at a time, one meal at a time. Every little bit will help.

Finding it grand but today I came to work and stopped for a sausage sandwich, my thoughts were like "oh f**k it" I give 0% will power and my heart isn't in it and then in another sentence I really want to lose it and get healthy.

Its a constant battle

Consider not bringing money to work or as little as possible so you don't have scope for buying food you know isn't helpful.

Next time you're at that counter, consider all the reasons you want and need to lose the weight for. It's a lot more important than the number on the scales.

In addition to what's been posted you say you want to try for a baby, that's a good opportunity to practice hard on the baby making process to lose a few lbs.

Determination is key!
    Best of luck.

eviltwin wrote: »
    It can be a bit harder than simply eat less rubbish and eat more healthy food. It's often the emotional side of food that is the problem.

OP what worked for me was keeping a detailed food diary, I wrote down everything I ate and my mood. It didn't take long to see where my triggers were. I could then put non food related things in place to get me over the hump. I was an emotional eater but didn't realise it till I saw it written down.

Take it one day at a time, one meal at a time. Every little bit will help.

Actually, that's a great idea. I did that for a while albeit for different reasons and not only do you join the dots between mood and food but you start to be a bit more mindful about that you eat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Just wanted to lend my cheer to your side OP. 6lb is a great start. Keep up the good work. The littlest of change adds to the momentum.
    On your bad days, dont beat yourself up, instant recovery happens every moment. If you ruin a meal, fix it at lunch by eating healthy. If you ruin your lunch, fix it by eating a healthy and portioned dinner.

For your level of weight, exercise isnt going to be so much about burning off calories, but more for your health and heart. It's easier to keep in the healthy mind frame if your lifestyle re-enforces it. Its all about discipline and motivation and habit. Good luck

Never once said I was never grateful or never once said I didn't take anything on board, I did say I did post it and that I couldn't find the old thread.

I did say I was finding it hard and that the comments are very helpful to help my willpower ~ I remember you PM'ing me and it was very much appreciated. If I am annoying you posting here then don't comment ~ I set up this new thread for reasons that I listed ~ nothing else.

its a duplicate thread. its a waste of peoples time and effort.

and against the boards charter.

you pm'd me asking for help not the other way around i was more than willing to help.

your so called reasons are ridiculous and you know it. friends knowing who you are, then posting the exact same thread?? whats to stop them finding you now? magic?
    and you couldnt find it, how do you explain posting the word for word same post? i call BS. a big pile of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭meme74

Thanks Meme, I understand this of course but I finding peoples comments helpful, anyone will to post is helping me and if they finding it annoying or a waste of time then they don't have to.

I know I posted before but I couldn't find the thread and deleted my account for reasons listed above

Theres only so much advice you can get from others and the general gist of what everyone is telling you is the same. Eat less, move more and take it slow.

It seems to me you are looking for excuses not to get started. Why not post progress updates instead of re-posting and asking everyone for the same advice again. We would all be more than happy to provide support as much as is possible online but I say again, nobody is going to have the magic quick fix you seem to be looking for.

its a duplicate thread. its a waste of peoples time and effort.

and against the boards charter.

you pm'd me asking for help not the other way around i was more than willing to help.

your so called reasons are ridiculous and you know it. friends knowing who you are, then posting the exact same thread?? whats to stop them finding you now? magic?
    and you couldnt find it, how do you explain posting the word for word same post? i call BS. a big pile of it.

Look I can understand the embarrassment of feeling like you've failed and wanting to erase all memories of it. I think the OP is sincere. Fair enough you don't want to help now but at least she's trying. Give her a break .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Download the "my fitness pal" app. It's easy to use and you'll soon see what parts of your diet need changing.

I'd say address your diet is the primary thing, then work on the exercise but as the old saying goes "you can't exercise away a bad diet".

Well done for recognising and facing the problem head on.

Good luck.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its a constant battle
    Think of the medium term gains.
    The sausage sandwich will be gone in a moment but think of the pride in losing a few stone. Think of the satisfaction and confidence that you'll get by losing the weight. It won't be easy but when you look back it will make you feel better than you've probably felt in a long time!

Aside from the boost in your pride, you'll be looking at reducing the crap building up in your arteries giving you a longer lifespan and reducing the likelihood of dropping dead from a heart attack.

The main thing is to set goals, even short term goals such as I want to walk to XYZ and back each night for a week. Build up a habit of taking walks and avoiding situations where you go for the sausage sandwich. You'll find that like giving up smoking, it does get easier.

Good luck.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Look I can understand the embarrassment of feeling like you've failed and wanting to erase all memories of it. I think the OP is sincere. Fair enough you don't want to help now but at least she's trying. Give her a break .

who said i dontwant to help?

i helped the last time... so much so i got gushing pm's about how wonderful i am...

it was two weeks ago? who said she failed? she claims to have lost 6lbs? doesnt sound like a failure to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Join a running club, participate in a C2 5k programme. Or simple advice eat less, move more. Your life, your choice no one can do it for you or wants to .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

I can identify with the op, I am 5'9" and i weigh almost 20 stone, it is a nightmare trying to lose weight, if only it was as easy to lose as to put on. I understand that no one else is responsible for how I am. In my own head i keep saying I will do something about it but I never really do. I never exercised, I tried those shakes diets a few times and was successful in losing nearly 2 stone but just put it back on again. last week i decided i would go for a walk ( the other half keeps saying walking is great for you it will help you lose weight) I have my doubts, but i walked mon - fri last week and intend on doing the same this week ( gonna give it a month and see if there is any difference in weight).
    I have also managed to cut down my intake of crap ( chocolate, chocolate, Chinese take away, chocolate) and I am genuinely trying to eat less and eat more healthier, having soup ( homemade from veg only) almost everyday for lunch instead of a fry or a kebab. the walking has definitely wore me out, i used to sit up till the wee hours now i cant stay awake after midnight. I also have apnea (use a cpap machine) and chronic Asthma, so I am sure there has to be benefits from walking, i guess it is just going to be a slow journey and I was never really one for weighing myself but I get weighed every month in Hospital whilst attending for my Asthma (related) injections so I will just see what weight I am on my next visit. I used mapmywalk when I started walking last week it is free and I find that it motivates me to keep walking and stay positive, I must also add that the walking f*cking killed me for the first week, only half killing me now, I do hope it gets easier. Good luck with your endeavour

• Advertisement

another helpful thing would be picking up a fitbit or similar, it may seem trivial but being able to visualise your activity is a great motivator

Liveadream please report a thread if you feel it's against the charter, we understand your frustration but you've made it clear enough
    Thanks

Walking is a great exercise. Try and plan your exercise a week or so in advance so you have that time booked. If it's vague you'll easily make excuses. Pre plan it and you know that time is for exercise and you'll be less likely to do something else.

It can be boring so bring along your phone. Listening to music, audio books or podcasts can really help reduce the boredom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

look pecker31 or sammysnail you can say you cant find it or that you deleted your account personally, im a bit pissed off and in all honestly dont believe you............

..........your also clearly lying about not begin able to find the original post because its word for word the same post. You would have to be rainman to post the same thing in the exact same wording and paragraph spacing etc a month or so apart.................

Jeez man, take it handy there. You giving her abuse and getting all aggro and shít is not going to help her at all. I've reported your post for being aggressive and cruel. You're welcome.

And now we move on to the next nugget of wisdom:
    In addition to what's been posted you say you want to try for a baby, that's a good opportunity to practice hard on the baby making process to lose a few lbs.

Determination is key!
    Best of luck.

I was just about to post on the baby thing and then i read that.

I'm sorry but that's an absolutely terrible idea. :mad:
    Before a couple goes about making babies they should both be in a good, healthy state to give the best possible opportunity for a healthy pregnancy. Its well established that overweight mothers are less fertile and have more problematic pregnancies and greater chance of an unhealthy baby. An obese father can also result in epigenetic effects on the baby. So BBM what you are suggesting is downright bad advice and irresponsible.

OP please don't let ye try to get pregnant until you, and your husband for that matter, are healthy.
    Use that goal to your advantage, promise yourself you want to give yere baby the best chance and make it a target that you will only get pregnant once you are healthy.

On the weight thing alone, if you want to maximise your body's ability to burn off calories you need to do plenty weight and resistance training. If you "diet" alone, yes you'll lose fat but you also lose a certain amount of muscle mass. Muscle mass is like a calorie furnace if you have it on you. Even if you are not actively exercising it will still burn calories while at rest. Beware though that you may reach a point where you see weight loss decreases but don't be discouraged as you will find that your body composition is still improving as you strengthen and build muscle.

Try joining something like crossfit. They are excellent, great workouts, great community spirit and everybody supports and encourages eachother along to achieve their goals and push their limits nomatter what level they are at. I remember the whole gym cheering me on as I attempted my first muscle up. Without their cheers and support I don't think I would have got my ass up on that bar. And they are not just a gym, they are a community. We go on nights out together and have summer BBQs and a christmas party. They can help you become healthy not just physically, but mentally and socially too.

Your goal should not be to lose weight.
    Your goal should be to be healthy. Weight loss is just one objective in achieving that goal.

I posted a big reply, I wouldn't mind any advice on it, but sammy and livedadream yous just have to let the history go, or the thread will end up being closed.
    I understand both sides, as i am sure most people on here do, so back and forthing is not helping anyone.
    I'm not taking sides just trying to get the thread back on track as i think it could be useful to me and others. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

OP, tbh, I think this is the 4th thread you've started looking for advice over 2 years. Plenty of people have tried to be helpful. It does look like you're not going to get the magic answer on a forum.

Perhaps look for some professional help if you are really serious about doing something.

• Advertisement

Thread has been reported for being a duplicate. And not just by me. As for the person who has reported me I'm sure any reasonable person will understand that wasting your time trying to help someone and then them lying about it is super frustrating.

Brah, what's with all the aggression. And I shall make no apologies for reporting you to the mods for being threatening and abusive to the op.
    She might be in a mentally distressed state with the weight issues and the last thing she needs is someone of your ilk trying to knock her confidence even further. You should be ashamed of yourself for that behaviour.
    Stay off the roids brah, they're messing with you brains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Its a constant battle

If you started to plan your meals it might help avoid this. Have a proper breakfast that will keep you going til lunch time - it will reduce the tempatation of impulse buying crap if you know you will be eating in 1 hr and again in 5 hrs, or if you have a healthy snack to hand

Livedadream don't post on this thread again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

For the first week, If you eat a big bowl of cereal/porridge every day, halve it.

Don't use honey or nuts or fruit, just stevia and cinnamon on the porridge/cereal, weetabix is best I think. Fills ya up.

If you have chocolate or crisps, halve the amount.

No chips or takeaways.

Proper dinner, small portion. Watch portion size, bulk up with steamed/roast veg, it is amazing how much a full plate will satisfy you even though most of it is low calorie.

Cut down the booze to half what you usually have.

No fizzy drinks, plenty of water.

Continue into second week and cut down the crap a little more.

And on and on. Soon you will lose the need for rubbish food/drink.

Plenty of exercise. Walking is the best imv, out in the fresh air and it costs nothing. Three times around the block every night and at lunchtime is a good start. Build it up.

Slowly but surely is my view. Saying on a Sunday night that you are NEVER going to have a treat again, and eat rice cakes and cucumber for the rest of your life will have you in Macaris on Monday night!

Good luck. I'm not there myself yet, medication has caused a weight gain, but hopefully with more exercise and portion control I will get back to normal soon enough.

If you join a gym a personal trainer will get you on a program that will aim to get you healthy and keep you healthy. A good PT will motivate you, support you, teach you about good nutrition and show you how to exercise appropriately. they will get you doing something you enjoy, rather than make you do a chore.

Is it hard? Yes. Is it worth it? Abosolutely!
    You will look and feel like a different person once you are healthy.

Unhealhty junk foods not only destroy the body but they screw up the mind too.
    But having said that, you need your cheat meal too. We all need our treat. Perhaps set aside a Sunday or whatever when ye go out and get a takeaway or go to a burger joint. And because its special it'll be all the more of a treat!
    Once you are eating well you'll find you don't crave sugar and crap so much - its an addiction. Humans evolved to crave energy dense food like fat and sugar - that is why we like it so much, but now in the modern world its everywhere.

You'll also find you get to enjoy and crave exercise and training because it gives you a boost of hormones and shít that make you feel good.

• Advertisement

Definitely have a treat night. It is something to work towards and you'll enjoy it all the more if you know you've been good all week.

Make sure you do your shopping in advance so you've got all you need. Bring lunches to work, have plenty of fruit to snack on.

Drink water, it does work!

Just thought I would mention, I HATE drinking water, I could gladly drink 6 pints of Guinness but 1 pint of water eeeuuurrgghhh, the other half drinks loads of water, I really need to flavour my water but then I guess that is defeating the purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭linpoo

I know a lot of people who have lost a lot of weight going to Slimming world. And for the larger people who have a lot to lose it seems to fall off them quicker. Might be worth looking into.

Another one I'd Bodyslims which seems to have good success too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

Try to grasp the extent of the damage your diet and lifestyle are doing to your body. It's not all about looking good. You speak of wanting to have a baby, you owe it to any child you bring in to the world to do your upmost to be around for them as long as possible. We're all just one diagnosis away from serious illness and you never know what's around the corner. Take the chance to change your lifestyle while you still can.

There is a documentary on BBC Three this evening showing a post mortem on an obese (17st) woman and showing the damage her weight has done to her organs. Maybe the shock factor (reality check) is what's needed to motivate you to make changes.

Sorry if that's harsh but no one else can make the decision to change for you. It has to come from yourself. You have to badly want it. Start with small changes and build from there. Adding lost of veg to meals, leaner cuts of meat, making your own sauces instead of fatty shop bought ones, a 30 minute walk a few evenings a week, avoiding the vending machine in the office.

Best of luck with it but nothing will change if you don't really commit to it long term. Even a half pound a week will eventually add up.

Try to grasp the extent of the damage your diet and lifestyle are doing to your body. It's not all about looking good. You speak of wanting to have a baby, you owe it to any child you bring in to the world to do your upmost to be around for them as long as possible. We're all just one diagnosis away from serious illness and you never know what's around the corner. Take the chance to change your lifestyle while you still can.

There is a documentary on BBC Three this evening showing a post mortem on an obese (17st) woman and showing the damage her weight has done to her organs. Maybe the shock factor (reality check) is what's needed to motivate you to make changes.

Sorry if that's harsh but no one else can make the decision to change for you. It has to come from yourself. You have to badly want it. Start with small changes and build from there. Adding lost of veg to meals, leaner cuts of meat, making your own sauces instead of fatty shop bought ones, a 30 minute walk a few evenings a week, avoiding the vending machine in the office.

Best of luck with it but nothing will change if you don't really commit to it long term. Even a half pound a week will eventually add up.

Thanks for post no it's not harsh it makes sense, do you know the name of the programme? I have started on my food diary so I just need to commit to it, and put the effort in.

For the first week, If you eat a big bowl of cereal/porridge every day, halve it.

Don't use honey or nuts or fruit, just stevia and cinnamon on the porridge/cereal, weetabix is best I think. Fills ya up.

If you have chocolate or crisps, halve the amount.

No chips or takeaways.

Proper dinner, small portion. Watch portion size, bulk up with steamed/roast veg, it is amazing how much a full plate will satisfy you even though most of it is low calorie.

Cut down the booze to half what you usually have.

No fizzy drinks, plenty of water.

Continue into second week and cut down the crap a little more.

And on and on. Soon you will lose the need for rubbish food/drink.

Plenty of exercise. Walking is the best imv, out in the fresh air and it costs nothing. Three times around the block every night and at lunchtime is a good start. Build it up.

Slowly but surely is my view. Saying on a Sunday night that you are NEVER going to have a treat again, and eat rice cakes and cucumber for the rest of your life will have you in Macaris on Monday night!

Good luck. I'm not there myself yet, medication has caused a weight gain, but hopefully with more exercise and portion control I will get back to normal soon enough.

Hey thanks for that, do you find a food diary helps? I am using my fitness pal at the mo - portions aren't my problem it's the crap I eat! I'd gladly eat a tiny dinner and loads of chocolate after! Gluten for punishment,

_Brian wrote: »
    Download the "my fitness pal" app. It's easy to use and you'll soon see what parts of your diet need changing.

I'd say address your diet is the primary thing, then work on the exercise but as the old saying goes "you can't exercise away a bad diet".

Well done for recognising and facing the problem head on.

Good luck.

Thanks Brian, have the app downloaded. Do you use it? How do I calculate calories? Finding it tricky - do you need to weigh everything?

Thanks all for your supportive comments, I honestly only started the thread for advise and didn't want to cause anything. Anyways that's in the past!

What are your opinions on keeping a food diary and planning the whole week food wise. So say I sat down 2 night and planned what I will eat for the next four days or so, would it be too much to stick too?

Great idea about my fitness pal, have it downloaded and trying to use the calorie counter but I'm yet to grasp it!

Has anyone tried the paleo diet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

Thanks for post no it's not harsh it makes sense, do you know the name of the programme? I have started on my food diary so I just need to commit to it, and put the effort in.

Hi Sammy, I'm not sure of the name but here is an article about it so the details are probably included in it. Best of luck, you can do it but you really have to put your mind to it.

http://http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3786322/Are-sleepwalking-growing-obesity-crisis-TV-autopsy-reveals-fat-REALLY-does-body.html

Thanks Brian, have the app downloaded. Do you use it? How do I calculate calories? Finding it tricky - do you need to weigh everything?

not usually, just search the database for whatever you're having and enter the portion size, 99% of stuff is on it and a lot of things you can even use the camera to scan the barcode!

• Advertisement
Advertisement