Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension- what to watch out for etc

Options
  • 13-09-2016 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Am just about to select a Builder after getting a few quotes in to put a 300sq ft extension to the back of the kitchen (Sth Dub area).
    I've been reading through posts here and cannot find answers to some of the questions I have so any advice or links to threads here that could help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Paying the builder. How much up front, during the project, to hold back until after completion (job is around the 50k mark)

2. I recall but cannot find a thread on here about the items that can can cause grief during a build i.e. the number of electrical points etc. An extra electrical socket adding hundreds to a project because it wasn't specified at the outset!
    Anyone any advice/links on this

3. What to watch out for before signing-off on the build/design/contract

4. What to watch for during the build

Thanks for any advice/help from an excited but nervous Jay Soap :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jay0109 wrote: »
    Hi All

Am just about to select a Builder after getting a few quotes in to put a 300sq ft extension to the back of the kitchen (Sth Dub area).
    I've been reading through posts here and cannot find answers to some of the questions I have so any advice or links to threads here that could help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Paying the builder. How much up front, during the project, to hold back until after completion (job is around the 50k mark)

2. I recall but cannot find a thread on here about the items that can can cause grief during a build i.e. the number of electrical points etc. An extra electrical socket adding hundreds to a project because it wasn't specified at the outset!
    Anyone any advice/links on this

3. What to watch out for before signing-off on the build/design/contract

4. What to watch for during the build

Thanks for any advice/help from an excited but nervous Jay Soap :confused:

1. Agree a stage payment plan that he gets paid at stages and certified by your professional. No point paying him 10k if there's only 5k worth of work done.

2. Agree before work starts. Mark them on your drawings. You do have drawings yeah?

3. Signing off will,be done by your architect/engineer, so he will be watching out for building reg compliance

4. Building regulation compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Thanks

No architect involved as it's a bog standard rectangle,flat roof extension. Didn't see the need for one.
    We've done up a sketch with the Builder and he's now going to come back with a more specific drawing.

An Engineer is being used for compliance purposes at various stages during the build. He is being supplied by the Builder and the cost is included in the overall quote.

What is your recommendation re someone on my side verfying work done/the qualiy of the work? Hire my own Engineer?

Thanks

No architect involved as it's a bog standard rectangle,flat roof extension. Didn't see the need for one.
    We've done up a sketch with the Builder and he's now going to come back with a more specific drawing.

An Engineer is being used for compliance purposes at various stages during the build. He is being supplied by the Builder and the cost is included in the overall quote.

What is your recommendation re someone on my side verfying work done/the qualiy of the work? Hire my own Engineer?

Find out what kind of cert you will get at the end.
    Ask if the cert will be an opinion on compliance with building and planning regulations, and get the answer in writing.

My advice, tell the builder to omit his engineer, reduce his price and get your own independent arch/eng/surveyor to oversee build and certify on completion.

Its crazy that you will have a guy that is employed by the builder telling you when the builder should be paid and how much!

The Builder Engineer would be advising on payments etc. He's just coming in on a couple of stages to sign off on compliance.

But even to my untrained eye, I'll be able to know when the foundations/floor is in, when the walls are in place, flat roof on etc. So I could base the payments on that.

I'll enquire about a Surveyor/Engineer to independely come in on a few occassions. It's the quality of work I want verified, for my own peace of mind.

The Builder Engineer would be advising on payments etc.

Exactly, but he is employed/engaged by the builder so he will work on the builders side, not yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

agree a percentage that is held back at the end for an agreed period of time in case of defects or snags e.g. 5% withheld and paid after 6 or 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

Penny wise, Pound foolish ?
    I truly hope that this doesn't end up coming back to haunt you

kceire wrote: »
    Exactly, but he is employed/engaged by the builder so he will work on the builders side, not yours.

Sorry, meant to say I wouldn't expect him to be advising on stage payments. He/she are purely there for certifying work done at a couple of key stages

RoryW wrote: »
    Penny wise, Pound foolish ?
    I truly hope that this doesn't end up coming back to haunt you

I can see why your saying this.
    But it's a straight forward rectangle on the back of a kitchen. No special design characteristics.
    I wouldn't expect the Architect to be on site every week checking foundation, measuring the length of walls etc.

So I don't see what they could bring to the table on this

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

So I don't see what they could bring to the table on this

Well given that I am a professional in this game, I am not going to waste my sweetness on the desert air here against that background.
    http://www.blupete.com/Literature/Poetry/Elegy.htm

Another stanza seems apt here:
    The boast of heraldry, the pomp of power,
    And all that beauty, all that wealth e'er gave,
    Awaits alike th' inevitable hour:-
    The paths of glory lead but to the grave.
    Lose the flat roof!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Look, I'm not dissing anyone's profession here.
    I am at the pin of my collar budget wise and handing €5k over to an architect is something I can't afford right now. Yes it may bite me in the bum in years to come but thats where I am currently.

The builder is long established, has plenty of work to reference, has their own design team that will supply a detailed drawing based on the ideas/sketches we have come up with.

I am open to bringing in someone externally to check the builders work etc. Hence I'm on here looking for advice

Look, I'm not dissing anyone's profession here.
    I am at the pin of my collar budget wise and handing €5k over to an architect is something I can't afford right now. Yes it may bite me in the bum in years to come but thats where I am currently.

The builder is long established, has plenty of work to reference, has their own design team that will supply a detailed drawing based on the ideas/sketches we have come up with.

I am open to bringing in someone externally to check the builders work etc. Hence I'm on here looking for advice

I don't know who quoted you 5k but that's insane!
    Where are you based?

Sorry, meant to say I wouldn't expect him to be advising on stage payments. He/she are purely there for certifying work done at a couple of key stages

But that's the problem. You have a guy that's been paid by the builder telling you that the builders work is good! Madness!

Anyway, sounds like you have your mind made up so not point reinventing the wheel here.

Based in SthDub. As I understand it and from the few websites I've looked up incl here, Architects mostly on % fees of circa 10%?

Based in SthDub. As I understand it and from the few websites I've looked up incl here, Architects mostly on % fees of circa 10%?

Not for small box extensions that are basically rectangles on the back with no design input. All you need is independant structural design, supervision and certification.

If you want to send over the detailed drawing on receipt of it for som impartial independent advice, that's no problem.

Thanks KC

The independent supervision and certification is 1 of the issues I'm after and part of the reason why I posted on here.

Is there a checklist on here or somewhere on the web (that I can't currently find) about the to do's/what to avoid etc for an extension? The extras that people get stung for etc?

Thanks KC

The independent supervision and certification is 1 of the issues I'm after and part of the reason why I posted on here.

Is there a checklist on here or somewhere on the web (that I can't currently find) about the to do's/what to avoid etc for an extension? The extras that people get stung for etc?

No, that's what you pay the professional for to be honest.
    You could in theory use the Technical Guidance Documents as a booklet on what to do, but they are 1500+ pages so get reading quick. Then you have the acceptable construction details and then you have the homebond manual.

If you are determined to do it yourself, get the homebond manual asap, the guidance Documents are free download from the Depat. of Envoronment.

Advertisement