Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 10 Official release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Give it chance before you enable "rest finger to unlock". You'll get used to it.

I've enabled rest finger to unlock and it just makes things easier. Still have access to the camera and widgets from the home screen. Just cuts out having to press the home button, unless there's something else I'm missing.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

adox wrote: »
    I've enabled rest finger to unlock and it just makes things easier. Still have access to the camera and widgets from the home screen. Just cuts out having to press the home button, unless there's something else I'm missing.:confused:

I assume his/her point is that on the iPhone 6s if that's what you have, because the Touch ID is so fast, if you press your home button to read your notifications, it will bring you to the home screen very quickly. Virtually bypassing the lock screen.

Personally though I prefer having that setting on. Don't want to have to press the home button to wake the screen and press it again to get to the home screen. Unnecessary step for me. I'm used to taking my finger off the home button in time to read notifications if I need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

FourFourFM wrote: »
    I assume his/her point is that on the iPhone 6s if that's what you have, because the Touch ID is so fast, if you press your home button to read your notifications, it will bring you to the home screen very quickly. Virtually bypassing the lock screen.

Personally though I prefer having that setting on. Don't want to have to press the home button to wake the screen and press it again to get to the home screen. Unnecessary step for me. I'm used to taking my finger off the home button in time to read notifications if I need to.

Ah ok. Its a 5s I have so still have that delay. Makes sense alright for the faster fingerprint scanner on the newer generations.

adox wrote: »
    Ah ok. Its a 5s I have so still have that delay. Makes sense alright for the faster fingerprint scanner on the newer generations.

Worth noting the setting is rest finger to open, not to unlock. It unlocks both ways as it's using Touch ID. Once unlocked though it requires that extra click to open the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mailforkev

What a pain in the hole, am proper computer-less at the moment so have had to use a borrowed PC laptop to try and unbrick my phone.

The iTunes download keeps crapping out too, could be in for a long night...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, I should have said that I'm coming from a 6s perspective. So I only have to raise the phone to wake it and then press the home button once (because Touch ID is so fast) to unlock. I like it this way as it makes Touch ID practically invisible. I also prefer that it doesn't open with just Touch ID so that I don't accidentally unlock the phone while it's in my hand but not being used.

I can understand why 5 and 6 users might want to enable this, though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Sono

Super upgrade, iMessage additions are great craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭space2ground1

I'm not mad about the iMessage redesign. Call me old fashioned but I just want the text and smiles or to send photos or video. Is there a way to do this?

I've also just spotted there's no way to slide down the predictive text on a safari text field. That's gotta go!

Yeah, I should have said that I'm coming from a 6s perspective. So I only have to raise the phone to wake it and then press the home button once (because Touch ID is so fast) to unlock. I like it this way as it makes Touch ID practically invisible. I also prefer that it doesn't open with just Touch ID so that I don't accidentally unlock the phone while it's in my hand but not being used.

I can understand why 5 and 6 users might want to enable this, though..

I come from a different persepectiive and have "Raise to wake" disabled. I don't want my phone waking from sleep everytime I lift my phone off a surface or whatever. Seems inefficient from a battery point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

What happened messages? I want the old one back due to the fact that I'm an adult.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

FourFourFM wrote: »
    I come from a different persepectiive and have "Raise to wake" disabled. I don't want my phone waking from sleep everytime I lift my phone off a surface or whatever. Seems inefficient from a battery point of view.

I find it works really well. I rarely notice it turning on when it wasn't supposed to. And it turns off again very quickly, so it's pretty efficient and saves you having to press the sleep button on/off just to check the time.

But re: inefficiencies, I hate the way the screen activates every time you adjust volume using the earphone controls. Drives me mad! Does it even when the screen is face down.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is it just me or do things all look bigger or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 updated tootsweet 🤑👍🏼

Is anyone elses keyboard not predicting or auto correcting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 updated without a hitch. iPad seems faster and smoother. Safari performing noticeably faster. No huge changes from 9 at first glance. The keyboard sounds will have to go!

Only glitch so far is on my iPhone 6 the volume for the system sounds is screwed up. The higher the volume the lower and I have ringer set to not change with buttons.

awec wrote: »
    Is anyone elses keyboard not predicting or auto correcting?

I would see that as a good thing, awful feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

OTA Bricked @ 6pm ... 2 form authentication turned on ... Couldn't access code as my phone was bricked
    Had to find other iphone ... swap out sim to get code

On the fifth attempt to download through iTunes

And now the dog has chewed the laptop charger cable ... I kid you not!

mad muffin wrote: »
    Only glitch so far is on my iPhone 6 the volume for the system sounds is screwed up. The higher the volume the lower and I have ringer set to not change with buttons.

Ok I know what this is. It's the text to speech I had turned on to try.

It seems that Apple never fixed this glitch. It's been there since forever.

• Advertisement

I thought whatsapp would have a version out that worked with Siri :(

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Coleman316

Anyone know if you can turn off the picture of the contact at the top of a message?

Anyone else notice that the custom message tones for specific apps are gone?

For example Facebook Messenger used to make a high pitched ding when someone sent you a message, now it just makes the default iOS notification sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Siri in English (Irish) sounds a bit depressed or slow as in stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

awec wrote: »
    Is it just me or do things all look bigger or something?

I agree..especially when it first opened and the Home Icon appeared

Maybe its cleaner, but defo looks bigger

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'm not mad about the iMessage redesign. Call me old fashioned but I just want the text and smiles or to send photos or video. Is there a way to do this?

I've also just spotted there's no way to slide down the predictive text on a safari text field. That's gotta go!

I don't see your problem here. If you don't want to use iMessage new features then don'yt.

If you just want to sent a text or photos or videos then just send them, you just begin with the little arrow to the left of the text box and choose what you want. Simple.

The new features are good though.

After a few hours of using this I'm finding the phone is not as quick as before, I've loads of memory so that's not it, pulling the message down from the top of the screen and trying to reply while doing something else is a pain, seems to run a lot slower, not impressed with this update at all.

Sono wrote: »
    After a few hours of using this I'm finding the phone is not as quick as before, I've loads of memory so that's not it, pulling the message down from the top of the screen and trying to reply while doing something else is a pain, seems to run a lot slower, not impressed with this update at all.

What model phone are you using out of interest?

6 64gb

• Advertisement

Whatsapp update is out

Advertisement