Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 10 Official release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

Hey all, can't install 10 yet until I have been given the green light by the company (have work stuff on my phone so the security features need to be tested and approved first) and my whatsapp bugged (I have apps on auto-update when connected to wifi)

Deleted the app to re-install and it refuses to do so. Phone has been turned on and off a few times and still can't install. (Other apps are OK even if they've already been made 10- ready). Anyone else having issues with whatsapp or suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

awec wrote: »
    Irish Siri is bloody terrible.

She sounds like a depressed robot. Speech quality is very poor.

Sounds like they got the woman who announces Dublin bus stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

maximum12 wrote: »
    Sounds like they got the woman who announces Dublin bus stops.
    does sound a little like that all right.

anyhow, in my mind for the little I've tested it so far I'm happy to ditch the british settings.

The one negative now is that once you've the phone language set to Ireland English, google doesnt recognise it (Ireland english only there for a few days so they are probably only playing catchup) so then google maps navigation is now using USA english as default which is just hideous !
    (now, if apple or google or someone else would figure a way of having a satnav app in english and pronounce German or French or other foreign streetnames correctly in the native language, then THAT would be an achievement, but an off topic one none the less)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Slide left to right on the notification to reply still works. Or force touch to reply on the lock screen (not sure how/if this works on older devices – maybe touch and hold?).

Sliding right to left on the background is the camera.

I'm guessing this update is optimised for iPhone 6s and newer? Because the above defo does not work on my 6.

Is it possible to go back to iOS9?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

gimmick wrote: »
    I'm guessing this update is optimised for iPhone 6s and newer? Because the above defo does not work on my 6.

Works on my 6 and my wife's 5s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Worked that way on my 6 as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ya was playing around with and got it now. On ios 9 you could pretty much pull across the screen whereas on ios 10 now you need to pull across the message. All is ok with the world again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

How can I change the home button so that when I click once it shows the lock screen, notifications, time, etc. Now when I press it the phone unlocks straight away? Apologies if already answered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

xabi wrote: »
    How can I change the home button so that when I click once it shows the lock screen, notifications, time, etc. Now when I press it the phone unlocks straight away? Apologies if already answered.

I don't think there's an option for this. Just use a different finger or press the sleep/wake button.

If you have an 6s/7/SE you can just raise the phone to wake it. It takes some getting used to but works pretty well. If you have an older device the Touch ID is probably slow enough that it will take a second tap after the first press to unlock it.

Yeah the raise to wake seems to work well, will have to get used to not using the button unless I want to open it. Another question, I turned on the rest finger to open but it still requires a press.

• Advertisement

Yeah the raise to wake seems to work well, will have to get used to not using the button unless I want to open it. Another question, I turned on the rest finger to open but it still requires a press.

Use raise to wake, then rest finger on Touch ID.
    No press needed then.

Use raise to wake, then rest finger on Touch ID.
    No press needed then.

Ah, is that how it's supposed to work. I thought you could rest finger even when screen was off.

Ah, is that how it's supposed to work. I thought you could rest finger even when screen was off.

No, that's why raise to wake is needed.
    If the Touch ID was always scanning even in sleep, battery life would be awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Yep it's possible if you want to go back to 9.3.5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Went back to 9.3.5 while they're still signing it. Prefer iOS9 being honest too much sh*te in iOS10 in my opinion, particularly in iMessage.

Yeah, it's just not there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I find the phone keypad freezes on the 6s after the new update. Anyone have this issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

I find the phone keypad freezes on the 6s after the new update. Anyone have this issue?

Yeah I find the keypad seems to stick and also miss presses on the Air 2 and 6. It seems to stick on the special character page too long too. Anyone else find it is extremely easy to accidentally highlight what you have just typed and erase it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

One thing I've noticed with iOS 10's keyboard, when typing and you switch to the numbers and social characters keyboard it used to switch back to the normal keyboard once you pressed space, this doesn't happen anymore. Maybe it's on the settings but I have to manually switch back to letters after adding a special character.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

DubDJ wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed with iOS 10's keyboard, when typing and you switch to the numbers and social characters keyboard it used to switch back to the normal keyboard once you pressed space, this doesn't happen anymore. Maybe it's on the settings but I have to manually switch back to letters after adding a special character.
    Still doing it for me but only if you type 2 or more numbers or special characters.

guil wrote: »
    Still doing it for me but only if you type 2 or more numbers or special characters.
    Yeah your right, 2 characters and it switches back to the normal keyboard. Wonder if it's a bug or an intended feature.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

This is doing my head in too!

Couldn't find anything in the settings to change it back either. I hope they revert it back to the old way. Years of using the keyboard, it will be hard to switch back.

Couldn't find anything in the settings to change it back either. I hope they revert it back to the old way. Years of using the keyboard, it will be hard to switch back.

This only happening in Safari for you?

Seems fine for me in Messages & Notes app.

FourFourFM wrote: »

Seems to be only in safari for me. Fine in messages and email.

Yeah you're right. Must be a safari bug, which is probably a good thing. Probably will be fixed in 10.0.2

Yeah you're right. Must be a safari bug, which is probably a good thing. Probably will be fixed in 10.0.2

I can't stop noticing it now thanks :D

I can't stop noticing it now thanks :D

Also, when posting on forums, the reply box jumps out of screen and doesn't come back unless you physically move, zoom in/out etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

kceire wrote: »
    Also, when posting on forums, the reply box jumps out of screen and doesn't come back unless you physically move, zoom in/out etc

That plagued me on the betas, seems to be ok now.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The keyboard is pretty crap post-update.

Kept changing the word "tea" to "yea". Also kept changing "cook" to "cool". I hope Apple realise that tea and cook are real words...

• Advertisement

naasrd wrote: »
    That plagued me on the betas, seems to be ok now.

Still happening on my iPad and my iPhone 7.

Advertisement