Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 10 Official release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Think there's a problem with apps that have updated to support the new callkit api. I had the same problem with Messenger, the default text notification kept playing.

Try restarting the iPhone, should fix the sound. Dunno if it's permanent but it's fine for me since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

awec wrote: »
    is anyone else's custom whatsapp notification sounds broken?

I have certain group chats setup with different sounds but they are now just playing the default sound.

Its bug in iOS 10 according to viber release notes, restart fix it for days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I've recently returned to iOS from Android with a 7 plus but i'm slowly being driven to insanity with the messages app? How do I send an ordinary text message to another iPhone user? My girlfriend travels over to UK regularly and doesn't have roaming access to data, she can text me as normal but my phone will only send iMessages, the only time it let me send a normal message was apparently random and I can't recreate it but I got an option to send a failed iMessage as a Text message. Google tells me you could long press on the message to send a text but all that does on iOS 10 is give me dumb options relating to iMessage.

As much as this is annoying me I love the phone otherwise, i'm sure there must be a simple solution that I just haven't figured out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Worple

I've recently returned to iOS from Android with a 7 plus but i'm slowly being driven to insanity with the messages app? How do I send an ordinary text message to another iPhone user? My girlfriend travels over to UK regularly and doesn't have roaming access to data, she can text me as normal but my phone will only send iMessages, the only time it let me send a normal message was apparently random and I can't recreate it but I got an option to send a failed iMessage as a Text message. Google tells me you could long press on the message to send a text but all that does on iOS 10 is give me dumb options relating to iMessage.

As much as this is annoying me I love the phone otherwise, i'm sure there must be a simple solution that I just haven't figured out?

Settings> messages
    Activate 'send as SMS'

Worple wrote: »
    Settings> messages
    Activate 'send as SMS'

Thank you! I knew it had to be something simple I was missing. Why isn't that the default setting though? Seems odd I had to turn it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Thank you! I knew it had to be something simple I was missing. Why isn't that the default setting though? Seems odd I had to turn it on.

Makes sense to me that anything that could cost you money has to be turned on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Turned on costs you money. Turned off saves you money.
    Apple actually have it the right way around as it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

kceire wrote: »

Didn't it used to be on by default?

kceire wrote: »

By that logic mobile data costs money so iMessage should be turned off as well. Even the most basic of pay as you go or bill pay deal has texts included, id hardly expect someone to complain to apple because it cost them money to send a text.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

By that logic mobile data costs money so iMessage should be turned off as well. Even the most basic of pay as you go or bill pay deal has texts included, id hardly expect someone to complain to apple because it cost them money to send a text.

Until you're sending a video to someone, and then it tries to send it over MMS and costs a small fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I was highlighting that there is an argument for both sides, on or off can cost different users money so you can please everyone.

Users just have to get to grips and understand the tech and decide themselves whether to turn on/off.

I personally find iMessege invaluable, the ability to send photos, videos etc through it is great. Whatsapp etc great too, but I tend to use them as group chats instead of one to one chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

The phone app freezing issue seemed to be resolved for a while, not its back. really annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

I'm using IOS for the first time, previously with Android. The Notifications are a mess - how do I group all whatsapp messages into a single notification??

Also is there any option to preview whatsapp images in the notification rather than opening up the entire app?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm using IOS for the first time, previously with Android. The Notifications are a mess - how do I group all whatsapp messages into a single notification??

You used to be able to group notifications by app, but that feature seems to have been lost in the iOS 10 redesign. It'll probably re-appear in a future update.
    Also is there any option to preview whatsapp images in the notification rather than opening up the entire app?

Rich notifications is a new feature in iOS 10. It's up to app developers to support it. Whatsapp should add it eventually.

The phone app freezing issue seemed to be resolved for a while, not its back. really annoying

My mother had this problem on iOS 9. It survived multiple restores and even carried over to a new phone. Setting up as a new device was the only thing to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

is it safe yet to install on an iphone 5s?

ablelocks wrote: »
    is it safe yet to install on an iphone 5s?

Yes, why wouldn't it be. It's very stable.

Wife has it installed on the 5 and there are no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 McC88

Updated my iphone 6 to ios10 and it's been crashing ever since. Restored it, phoned Apple, restored it again, hard reset it then restored it again while plugged into itunes and repeated numerous times. 300 odd euro for the apple genuis's to repair apparently. Nice One ios10

McC88 wrote: »
    Updated my iphone 6 to ios10 and it's been crashing ever since. Restored it, phoned Apple, restored it again, hard reset it then restored it again while plugged into itunes and repeated numerous times. 300 odd euro for the apple genuis's to repair apparently. Nice One ios10

Never understand how these things happen. I have a 6 too and have no such problems.

How can the same software have such different effects on the same hardware?

murpho999 wrote: »
    Never understand how these things happen. I have a 6 too and have no such problems.

How can the same software have such different effects on the same hardware?

Software updates don't cause hardware failures. Most likely the phone had an underlying hardware fault and it was a coincidence that it happened after updating. Or the process of installing the update (which can be quite intensive) brought the issue to the surface. (So many laptop hard drives fail after installing a new OS update.)

In other cases corrupted or conflicted backups may be a factor. The frozen phone app issue mentioned above, which I encountered last year, could only be resolved by setting the phone up as a new device. I worry this is becoming a bigger issue with iOS devices. I suspect Apple is already aware of it and are keen to have as many things syncing with iCloud so as to reduce the dependence on backups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

My 6 gave my nothing but problems with the 10 beta. It has to come down to a cross combination of apps or something!

Anyone experienced a momentary black screen with spinning wheel? Too fast to be a restart, though that's happened as well. It's a replacement 6s and I'm not sure if it's the phone or iOS 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Anyone experienced a momentary black screen with spinning wheel? Too fast to be a restart, though that's happened as well. It's a replacement 6s and I'm not sure if it's the phone or iOS 10.

Happening me maybe every 3 days. iPhone 7 on 10.0.2

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Happening me maybe every 3 days. iPhone 7 on 10.0.2

Not just me then. Hopefully just an OS problem and will be fixed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Patww79 wrote: »
    My mothers iPhone 6 updated to iOS 10 yesterday and she wanted the passcode gone and wants the widgets (I think it's called 'today') gone from both the home and lock screens.
    I've figured out how to get rid of the security but I can't turn today off. I have it turned off in the touch id menu but it still shows. She also does not want texts appearinf on the lock screen. How do you stop that or at least hide the content?

Go to notifications then messages and turn off show on lock screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Patww79 wrote: »
    My mothers iPhone 6 updated to iOS 10 yesterday and she wanted the passcode gone and wants the widgets (I think it's called 'today') gone from both the home and lock screens.
    I've figured out how to get rid of the security but I can't turn today off. I have it turned off in the touch id menu but it still shows. She also does not want texts appearinf on the lock screen. How do you stop that or at least hide the content?

To add or delete the widgets go to the bottom of screen and click edit.

For messages: Settings>notifications>Messages> turn off show on lock screen.

Settings > Touch ID & Passcode > Today

will remove it from the lock screen (you might need to restart), but not the home screen. She'll have to get used to that one.

• Advertisement

Advertisement