Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

7,000 cars a month caught with no NCT

• 13-09-2016 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭
    M

Anyone hear that new radio ad campaign from the RSA, Apparently 7,000 cars a month are caught driving with no NCT, surely that's a massive cash cow the government could tap in to and say a €100 on the spot fine would give a nice €700,000 a month to the country.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Are the numbers that high any time I went there it was constantly busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Stoogie

seems a huge number
    If there are about 3 million cars on the road that's 2.7% of cars getting caught for no NCT
    and the catch rate is probably 10%
    Are the stats available somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

85% of all statistics are totally made up

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

NCT is about safety. It's a testament to the government's that they haven't tried to turn in into a cash cow.

The point isn't to raise revenue, it's to raise safety standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

I've only had 2 customers declare Nct penalty points out of probably 5000 customers dealt with in last year so they may not be getting prosecuted in court but fines only..

NCT is about safety. It's a testament to the government's that they haven't tried to turn in into a cash cow.

ah, its both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

7000 per month?
    nocountry.jpg

Ain't nobody got time for that paperwork.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's a sixty Euro fine and three points at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Stheno wrote: »
    It's a sixty Euro fine and three points at the moment

Your right, didn't know there was.

So each month they take in €420k from it, nice little earner.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/Penalty%20Point%20offences%20as%20of%2017%20April%202016.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Stoogie wrote: »
    Source?

a bloke in the pub told me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

60% of people know this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

a bloke in the pub told me

Thats ok, it must be true :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I think the nct is a great service for the money. It will eventually become a money racket like most thing here though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

60% of people know this

Only 42% of them report it.

carzony wrote: »
    I think the nct is a great service for the money. It will eventually become a money racket like most thing here though.

Before or after they start actual diesel emissions / emissions equipment checks :pac: ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Nearly fell off the chair laughing when I read that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Hard to justify the NCT now that even insurance companies aren't covering 15 year old cars anymore. (Even if they have a clean pass rate)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Hard to justify the NCT now that even insurance companies aren't covering 15 year old cars anymore. (Even if they have a clean pass rate)

FBD not covering over 10 years. Round up them bangers and crush em, our overlords have spoken!

ejabrod wrote:
    Nearly fell off the chair laughing when I read that.

Cynical.

The OP is complaining that the government isn't raising revenue from the NCT and you nearly fell off the chair laughing at the idea that it's not being used as a cash cow.

NCT is primarily about raising vehicle standards. It achieves it's primary objective.

• Advertisement

FBD not covering over 10 years. Round up them bangers and crush em, our overlords have spoken!

That's an insurance problem rather than an NCT problem though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

It says 7,000 anpr "detections" on the advert, i suppose that doesn't necessarily mean they act on it, feckin thing is probably flashing and beeping at them so much they ignore it at the best of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Cynical.

The OP is complaining that the government isn't raising revenue from the NCT and you nearly fell off the chair laughing at the idea that it's not being used as a cash cow.

NCT is primarily about raising vehicle standards. It achieves it's primary objective.

Niave.

Of course it's being used as a cash cow. it is a mandatory test.

It also states that this is a reflection of the state of the car on the day of the test, nothing more.

I have recently NCT'd 3 cars. the most recent had a rear upper arm boot that was perished and a front inner tie rod that was badly worn as well as a few other things and the car passed - it shouldn't have.

The NCT is no more about safety than the speed vans are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Cynical.

3 years ago the sister-in-law brought her car in for the NCT. Passed with flying colors. No sooner had she pulled out of the NCT center the exhaust fell off.

Vehicle standards my ar$e!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

7000 seems really high. is that backed up by anything other than radio ads? I googled and looked at the RSA site and found nothing about it.

M

7000 seems really high. is that backed up by anything other than radio ads? I googled and looked at the RSA site and found nothing about it.

No I checked the site and nothing there but as it's an advert they would have to have figures to back it up.

ejabrod wrote:

By the government?

ejabrod wrote:
    I have recently NCT'd 3 cars. the most recent had a rear upper arm boot that was perished and a front inner tie rod that was badly worn as well as a few other things and the car passed - it shouldn't have.
    laoisfan wrote:
    3 years ago the sister-in-law brought her car in for the NCT. Passed with flying colors. No sooner had she pulled out of the NCT center the exhaust fell off.

If it was just a cash cow, wouldn't they have failed you both to milk you another day?

It's not perfect but I'm glad it's in place. Imagine the standards of dangerous bangers that would be driven around if not for the standards imposed by actually testing cars.

Government us a thankless job. You identify a problem with vehicle safety and the deaths that result and people complain that nothing is being done so you solve the problem. Then people forget there was ever a problem and complain about the solution as bring a pointless cash cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭outinthefields

Not to mention that 3 points on the licence bumps up insurance by 100 euros. It's not a cash cow it's a whole heard of cattle.

• Advertisement

If it was just a cash cow, wouldn't they have failed you both to milk you another day?

It's not perfect but I'm glad it's in place. Imagine the standards of dangerous bangers that would be driven around if not for the standards imposed by actually testing cars.

Government us a thankless job. You identify a problem with vehicle safety and the deaths that result and people complain that nothing is being done so you solve the problem. Then people forget there was ever a problem and complain about the solution as bring a pointless cash cow.

Who do you think you are...coming on here and talking sense...it's not on ;)

PS I totally agree :)

M

Exactly, for anyone who doubts it have a look tonight when your out driving, try to count 10 cars in a row with 2 correctly working and focused headlights in a row, you will have extreme difficulty. I can imagine how much worse it would be with no test in place, people wouldn't have the lights looked at until both were out as they would do zero maintenance on their cars.

"It's not great, but it sure is better than nothing"

Lots of people don't seem to remember that there was some pretty special death traps on the road before it came in, I know because I used to be transported around in them.

Yokes held together with baling twine and crap backyard arc welded steel filling holes here there and everywhere (if they even bothreed)

My aunt had a mini that could be better described as a collinder, the whole thing used to crumple and fold as you went around bends.

If nothing else, the nct keeps the downright dangerous shít off the roads. It also forces people to give their car an annual "service"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Ever since they introduced the FCPN for no NCT it has dramatically increased the amount of people worried about having no NCT. Cars with no test have become nigh on impossible to sell.

Before this it was an extremely rare occurence for a Garda to go to the hassle of bringing someone to court over it, and 5 points was also a bit harsh. Being booked in used to be as good as having test to most people.

The NCT itself is subjective. Sometimes they might miss things, somethings they fail you on ridiculous things but I don't see anyone here with a better idea or doing it better themselves.

millington wrote: »
    Ever since they introduced the FCPN for no NCT it has dramatically increased the amount of people worried about having no NCT. Cars with no test have become nigh on impossible to sell.

Before this it was an extremely rare occurence for a Garda to go to the hassle of bringing someone to court over it, and 5 points was also a bit harsh. Being booked in used to be as good as having test to most people.

The NCT itself is subjective. Sometimes they might miss things, somethings they fail you on ridiculous things but I don't see anyone here with a better idea or doing it better themselves.

Certain things are not subjective. Readings and pass levels are set in stone.
    Missing something or failing a visual is down to the operator opinion can hopefully experience.
    I'd rather see a subjective failure with a fix than a subjective pass which is a death trap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Anyone hear that new radio ad campaign from the RSA, Apparently 7,000 cars a month are caught driving with no NCT, surely that's a massive cash cow the government could tap in to and say a €100 on the spot fine would give a nice €700,000 a month to the country.

So 7,000 cars are detected a month, not having undertaken a very basic roadworthy test and insurers are starting to avoid covering older cars!!!

I wonder if there is a link between the 2, given that insurers will have to pay a 3rd party (which includes passengers in the car without the NCT) regardless of whether or not it is roadworthy. Food for thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Cheensbo wrote: »
    "It's not great, but it sure is better than nothing"

Lots of people don't seem to remember that there was some pretty special death traps on the road before it came in, I know because I used to be transported around in them.

Yokes held together with baling twine and crap backyard arc welded steel filling holes here there and everywhere (if they even bothreed)

My aunt had a mini that could be better described as a collinder, the whole thing used to crumple and fold as you went around bends.

If nothing else, the nct keeps the downright dangerous shít off the roads. It also forces people to give their car an annual "service"

TBF, most of the cars knocking around then were a lot more prone to the 'rust worm' than today's models, money was scarce, there were far fewer cars and speeds were lower.

It was reckoned than one of Renault's offerings of the past was so bad you could actually hear it rusting.

IMHO the benefits of NCT outweigh the alternative, chancers with far more dangerous death traps on far busier roads travelling at way higher speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

The FCPN is actually 'handier' for anyone who wants to go around with no nct imo..

I'd prefer get stopped, fined and points rather than take the day off and have to go infront of a judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

ejabrod wrote: »
    Niave.

It also states that this is a reflection of the state of the car on the day of the test, nothing more.

The NCT is no more about safety than the speed vans are.

If it was a cash cow, your car wouldn't pass. Even a perfect car would not pass.

The NCT is about making an annual effort in car maintenance. Fixing the lights, breaks, tyres etc. Nothing more, nothing less.

Think about the money you spend on the test it in a slightly different way:
    - how long does an average test take
    - how much does a tester make during that time (before taxes)
    - how much does the equipment to make the test cost
    - how much does the building rent and maintenance cost
    - how much are the additional costs, such as administrative staff, IT systems, electricity etc.

It does not look like a money drain to me...

So 7,000 cars are detected a month, not having undertaken a very basic roadworthy test and insurers are starting to avoid covering older cars!!!

I wonder if there is a link between the 2, given that insurers will have to pay a 3rd party (which includes passengers in the car without the NCT) regardless of whether or not it is roadworthy. Food for thought

I will not ever forget a poster here...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100468511

If that's an attitude, I am not surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Got the front pads and discs changed on our F30 last week. Was talking to someone in work "oh did it fail the nct then?" Errm no just maintenance......

Should be yearly like the MOT. Only time many people take any notice of roadworthiness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Didn't read the whole thread, but the ad says 7,000 cars detected with no nct rather than prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

carzony wrote: »
    The FCPN is actually 'handier' for anyone who wants to go around with no nct imo..

I'd prefer get stopped, fined and points rather than take the day off and have to go infront of a judge.

It's really not handier because the Gardai are actually enforcing it. It was very rare for anyone to end up in court over it before. I think the Gardai themselves thought the mandatory 5 points on conviction was a bit much but now 3 is OK.

Got the front pads and discs changed on our F30 last week. Was talking to someone in work "oh did it fail the nct then?" Errm no just maintenance......

Should be yearly like the MOT. Only time many people take any notice of roadworthiness.

MOT is done by garages, so are in a position to push a few fixes that are not really necessary...

I really prefer the NCT centres. They really have no incentive to fail a good car.

This ad only seems to have appeared AFTER insurance companies decided NCTs on 10+year old cars were worthless. I wonder if there is a link between less insurance companies insuring older cars, and the higher premiums with those that do... and less money to ensure a valid NCT. Thought for food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I heard this ad this morning and was wondering if anyone knows the truth about the fine?

They word it that if you are stopped you are liable to a fine.
    Does this mean if an automatic camera detects you on the road you aren't issued with a fine, it takes a Guard to stop you to get the fine?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Does this mean if an automatic camera detects you on the road you aren't issued with a fine, it takes a Guard to stop you to get the fine?

Absolutely yes, the anpr just detects, the gardai within must stop & process the offending vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thats shocking.
    Can it not be automated, catch and fine all the offenders?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thats shocking.
    Can it not be automated, catch and fine all the offenders?

Nope, because it cannot tell if someone is on the way to nct/other circumstances where an exemption is allowed

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Nope, because it cannot tell if someone is on the way to nct/other circumstances where an exemption is allowed

Don't complicate what is easy...

It does not need to happen online, it would be trivial to cross-check those records against NCT booking and attendance database...

grogi wrote: »
    Don't complicate what is easy...

It does not need to happen online, it would be trivial to cross-check those records against NCT booking and attendance database...

And what about all of the possible places that someone could be getting repairs carried out??

It wouldn't work, too many variables.

• Advertisement
Advertisement