Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Cafe - Esb planned outage

Options
  • 13-09-2016 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi I opened a Cafe 6 weeks ago. I got a notice today that the ESB are planning a whole day outage on Friday of next week.
    We run entirely on electricity which means I would have no choice but to close.
    Is there anything I can do? Any compensation available or anything?

tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Hate to say it but if you are expecting compo you are in for a shock !!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No, but at least you got notice. Is their any painting or other work that needs to be done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Rent a generator

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Terven

yeah i wasnt really expecting it, but is there any flexibility to work with them to reduce the outage or anything? Ive no experience and only managed to speak to a muppet in a call centre so far who suggested to "talk to an electrician about getting a generator"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Stoogie

Terven wrote: »
    Hi I opened a Cafe 6 weeks ago. I got a notice today that the ESB are planning a whole day outage on Friday of next week.
    We run entirely on electricity which means I would have no choice but to close.
    Is there anything I can do? Any compensation available or anything?

tks
    rent a genny you'll need an electrician to show you how to hook up the lights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If it's off for that amount it's most likely a seriously badly needed replacement or upgrade.

Generator best option loads of companies supply and hook up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Renting a Genny might not be an option either. Depends on how much electricity the OP uses. If it's heavy use they'll need a big genny which also means bigger cost. Might not be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

ESB send these notices out and give a wide time spread to cover themselves.

Usually its for a very short period if everything goes to plan.

Have notices ready, have candles ready, create your plan for the day for different scenarios - sometimes you may find the electriclty will go without any notice, so use this as an opportunity to plan for the times you won't have notice.

You will probably find that it will be out for 30 - 60 minutes at some stage and possibly two outages overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

As poster said above it's likely that it won't be for a full day.

If you are going to close or think you might have to during the day make sure you notify customers in advance. You're new and building up custom, nothing worse for someone who's just starting dropping in for their regular coffee or sambo to find you closed one day, A simple sign stating the reasons in advance will do the trick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

...and if your credit card machine ever breaks, stick a sign on the window OUTSIDE too.

There's nothing worse than queuing for ages only to be told when you order its cash only (random comment I know, but it happened me yesterday in my regular coffee shop and I'll be taking a break for a few days from there as a result)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Contact the esb and tell them your situation, they may supply you with a generator

Advertisement