Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty goods

Options
  • 13-09-2016 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,just wondering if someone could clarify something for me,it's my understanding that if you buy a product and within 6 months if it's faulty you are entitled to a refund/replacement with proof of purchase.on the 7-9-16 my boyfriend bought football boots in lifestyle sports to the value of €150,he wore them once on the 11-9-16 and they came apart.he returned to the shop that evening with the boots and staff member told him she would replace them only they weren't instock and to call back Tuesday (today)he did so and spoke to a manager who refused to replace them.she accused him of wearing them more than once.she said she would have to contact head office for a 2nd opinion,she did so and called him and said they agree with her and won't be replacing them.she wouldn't give him a reason and was so rude on the phone.surely it is against consumer rights!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Hi,just wondering if someone could clarify something for me,it's my understanding that if you buy a product and within 6 months if it's faulty you are entitled to a refund/replacement with proof of purchase.on the 7-9-16 my boyfriend bought football boots in lifestyle sports to the value of €150,he wore them once on the 11-9-16 and they came apart.he returned to the shop that evening with the boots and staff member told him she would replace them only they weren't instock and to call back Tuesday (today)he did so and spoke to a manager who refused to replace them.she accused him of wearing them more than once.she said she would have to contact head office for a 2nd opinion,she did so and called him and said they agree with her and won't be replacing them.she wouldn't give him a reason and was so rude on the phone.surely it is against consumer rights!!

If the goods sold are not 'fit for purpose', the seller is obliged to repair, replace or refund you. They can choose which of these they do.

Their comment about 'wearing them more than once' is nonsense. Football boots should last for more than one wear. Even if played a match every day between 7 Sep and 11 Sep, they should still be wearable.

It is hard to think of what misuse a consumer could do to a pair of football boots in four days to cause such damage. Unless he drove over them in a car or washed them in a washing machine against the instructions, there really should be no argument about this.

If I was in your shoes (or boots), I would do one written complaint, email or letter, and give them a week or two to respond. Tell them if that if they don't respond, you'll be going to the Small Claims Court - and do just that if you have two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lizzie D 14

If the goods sold are not 'fit for purpose', the seller is obliged to repair, replace or refund you. They can choose which of these they do.

Their comment about 'wearing them more than once' is nonsense. Football boots should last for more than one wear. Even if played a match every day between 7 Sep and 11 Sep, they should still be wearable.

It is hard to think of what misuse a consumer could do to a pair of football boots in four days to cause such damage. Unless he drove over them in a car or washed them in a washing machine against the instructions, there really should be no argument about this.

If I was in your shoes (or boots), I would do one written complaint, email or letter, and give them a week or two to respond. Tell them if that if they don't respond, you'll be going to the Small Claims Court - and do just that if you have two.

I was thinking the same myself,like even if he wore them 10 times they should not fall apart like that.the manager was having none of it and was beyond rude on the phone!my boyfriend called head office and they are looking into it but in my opinion there is nothing to look into,he should just be given a new pair of boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭golfcaptain

2RockMountain has already given you the answer, but just thought I'd chime in to say that the 'calling head office' is almost certainly nonsense. Firstly, it's not a second opinion as far as your concerned as it's still their company giving it. Also, it's a well used method to try and intimidate you to back down, to make you feel that there's two opinions of theirs against yours. Plus, it's from 'Head Office', so they must be right and their word is final. Easy issue from an impartial third party's perspective if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

A crap store manager and some eejit in the support office aren't uncommon in retail.

Write in to head office, remain matter of fact. If you get no joy there then use the Small Claims Procedure.

Advertisement