Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ennis Garraunakilla Market Revamp

• 13-09-2016 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭

Didn't see a thread about this: http://www.clarechampion.ie/work-begins-on-ennis-market-rejuvenation/

it's the new farmers market building built on the carpark at top of the market. i think it's the biggest waste of money and inconvenience the Council has inflicted this century! it's budget was €1.75million but i presume it'll go over this seeing as it's gone over time.

there was no need for it! i hear the farmers market people don't even want to leave Roslevan. we also need all the carpark spaces in the centre of Ennis if we want to retain business in there. thank God for the q-park multistory but it can get expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Didn't see a thread about this: http://www.clarechampion.ie/work-begins-on-ennis-market-rejuvenation/

it's the new farmers market building built on the carpark at top of the market. i think it's the biggest waste of money and inconvenience the Council has inflicted this century! it's budget was €1.75million but i presume it'll go over this seeing as it's gone over time.

there was no need for it! i hear the farmers market people don't even want to leave Roslevan. we also need all the carpark spaces in the centre of Ennis if we want to retain business in there. thank God for the q-park multistory but it can get expensive.

The farmers market was only moved to the Roslevan so this work could go ahead.... and what kind of people would prefer to be outside in Irish weather than inside were their customers might come whatever the weather?

And there are no loss of parking spaces as far I understand it, on the days the market isn't in use it becomes parking spaces as before? On days when the market is on, the spaces where not available anyway.

http://clareherald.com/2016/09/ennis-market-opens-this-friday/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was of the understanding that there'll actually more parking now.

Personally I think it's a massive waste of money as there is already a natural market area in Moran's/Quinn's/Diamond car park, simply put a cover on it and stop traffic at Xtra-Vision and you've a wonderful market area with entrances from a number of places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Ennis Farmers Market posted a message on their Facebook page today to say that they'll be staying in Roslevan. Surely this is a serious setback for the Garraunakilla Market???

"Ennis Farmers Market are staying put! We'll be trading as normal this Friday in Roslevan from 8am to 2pm. We love our outdoor setting,under the trees and with ample parking for all our customers. Please spread the word and come out to see and support us this Friday and every Friday".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

I wonder how much the plot charge is at Roslevan vs the new market?

I suspect the first day the place is empty because it's piddling down with rain will force a rethink though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Deagol wrote: »
    I wonder how much the plot charge is at Roslevan vs the new market?

I suspect the first day the place is empty because it's piddling down with rain will force a rethink though :)

from what i heard they have to pay rates in the place ennis and dont have to pay any in the carpark so if thats the case i highly doubt they will be eager to move back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Whatever about the rates and the potential stand off , it really isn't much to look at. The roadworks and paving are fine I suppose but surely this should have been done in half the time it took?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

It's a lovely wee building all the same. I feel I'd have to wash the car before I'd park in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I don't think the traders were wild about the idea of Morans carpark because if you didn't know it was there you'd be unlikely to pass by it.

Maybe they'll renegotiate the rates with the traders. They've got power outlets now and other facilities that might mean they can do more in the way of hot food and other stuff that draws in the Milk Market or the English Market for example.

The building will be useful for festivals and events at least. The town was crying out for a covered public space of some description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

CCC dont negotiate rates downwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Was it really necessary to construct a modern monstrosity at huge cost in the market? It is unsympathetic to the surrounds, and effectively dismantles the old market once and for all. 4 large poles with a retractable cover would have been better. It is effectively a warehouse.
    Also, the guy who sold calves cannot use it, nor can the lady who sells poultry, so they have effectively been banished. If anyone from the council had bothered to investigate what made the market work, they would have seen the repeat business these people were getting and that people liked to stroll along the street. Also, tourists were fascinated by the live animals.
    It will become a meeting point for whores, junkies and drunks.
    Go to 12:21 in this clip for what the market used to be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv4qmlbS_Uk

• Advertisement

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    Was it really necessary to construct a modern monstrosity at huge cost in the market? It is unsympathetic to the surrounds, and effectively dismantles the old market once and for all. 4 large poles with a retractable cover would have been better. It is effectively a warehouse.
    Also, the guy who sold calves cannot use it, nor can the lady who sells poultry, so they have effectively been banished. If anyone from the council had bothered to investigate what made the market work, they would have seen the repeat business these people were getting and that people liked to stroll along the street. Also, tourists were fascinated by the live animals.
    It will become a meeting point for whores, junkies and drunks.
    Go to 12:21 in this clip for what the market used to be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv4qmlbS_Uk

So the tourists were fascinated by the live animals, were they? Are you joking? It was an absolute disgrace to see those poor animals and poultry cooped up all day. Am damn glad if there's an end to that.

Balagan wrote: »
    So the tourists were fascinated by the live animals, were they? Are you joking? It was an absolute disgrace to see those poor animals and poultry cooped up all day. Am damn glad if there's an end to that.
    Your comment reminds me of Lully Cullinan,a character in his 80s in Ennis, who each Saturday used to bring a pony to sell in the upper market area. The pony was tethered near the now closed barber shop.
    Lully used to head across the road for a drink, and one day, when he was gone, a middle-aged woman with a distinctly south Dublin accident began to inquire in a strident tone about the whereabouts of the owner of the pony, and began to pontificate on how the pony needed hay, oats and water:rolleyes: immediately! She accosted several vendors and demanded to know the whereabouts of the owner. Lully had seen her from the pub, and unbeknownst to her had come across the road and was seated on the back of a trailer, smoking and leaning forward on his stick and watching her prancing about making a right idiot of herself.
    She spotted him, strode over to him, nostrils flaring like a mare in heat, asked him if he owned the pony.
    "Indeed and I do, and what business is it of yours?" he asked.
    She began to rave about how the pony(in her opinion) was starving and ill-treated and demanded that he immediately feed it and untie it or she would have the SPCA seize it.
    That was enough for Lully who raised himself, raised his stick and said" get away you ould strap or I'll bate manners into you". Lady Muck took off with a look of horror on her face and never came near Lully or his pony again.

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    Your comment reminds me of Lully Cullinan,a character in his 80s in Ennis, who each Saturday used to bring a pony to sell in the upper market area. The pony was tethered near the now closed barber shop.
    Lully used to head across the road for a drink, and one day, when he was gone, a middle-aged woman with a distinctly south Dublin accident began to inquire in a strident tone about the whereabouts of the owner of the pony, and began to pontificate on how the pony needed hay, oats and water:rolleyes: immediately! She accosted several vendors and demanded to know the whereabouts of the owner. Lully had seen her from the pub, and unbeknownst to her had come across the road and was seated on the back of a trailer, smoking and leaning forward on his stick and watching her prancing about making a right idiot of herself.
    She spotted him, strode over to him, nostrils flaring like a mare in heat, asked him if he owned the pony.
    "Indeed and I do, and what business is it of yours?" he asked.
    She began to rave about how the pony(in her opinion) was starving and ill-treated and demanded that he immediately feed it and untie it or she would have the SPCA seize it.
    That was enough for Lully who raised himself, raised his stick and said" get away you ould strap or I'll bate manners into you". Lady Muck took off with a look of horror on her face and never came near Lully or his pony again.

Neglecting animals. Comparing women to animals and threatening to 'bate' them. The good old days, eh?

Balagan wrote: »
    Neglecting animals. Comparing women to animals and threatening to 'bate' them. The good old days, eh?
    Animal wasn't neglected.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Whores you say? tell me more...

Advertisement