Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chance of securing 2nd mortgage?

• 13-09-2016 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi all, was just wanting some advise from people in the know, please.

My wife and I plan on buying a site and building a house in the not to distant future.

We currently have €60k in savings - will hopefully have over €70k by time we get to the business end of any mortgage application.

Living in southeast. Both working full time, I'm earning €50k basic plus €10k car allowance and circa €5k bonus. She is earning €42k basic and circa €10k commissions and €4K bonus. We currently have a house we bought in 2008 with mortgage o/s of €170k and 16years remiaining - house bought for €230k and possibly could be sold at say €110k, so it's in negative equity.

Our intentions are to keep the house with the the negative equity tracker mortgage attached (rent it out) and also get a second mortgage to build. Would factor in €80k for site and circa €300k for build and fitout.

We have 3 dependants and we are aged 33yrs and 37yrs.

We will be seeking financial advise from our own bank in relation to the above, however I would greatly appreciate any feedback from anyone in the know as to our chances of getting the mortgage to build, while we still have the o/s mortgage on a house that is considerably in negative equity.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭lbyrne121

Did you ever get fiancial advice I am currentry in the same situation it would be grest to hear of any advice you got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

I am not sure that lenders will take commission and bonus into account when calculating the mortgage amount. So you are looking for a total amount of €380,000?

I don't under I am looking to get a second mortgage of 240k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I think it's a mortgage of 310 k you are looking for op. Correct me if I'm wrong. Tbh I'd say you'll struggle to get a second mortgage, particularly for a self build.

Your rental income is not guaranteed, the commission and bonuses are not guaranteed. Leaves you about 90 k guaranteed salary. This would technically qualify you for 315 k odd mortgage. But with three dependents this will be decreased a bit even if you do get approval.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Btw if your first property has a tracker mortgage but you plan on renting it out. You'll need to inform your bank and most banks will take the tracker off you in this instance.

• Advertisement

You wouldn't need to technically inform the bank if you go for a mortgage with someone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

lbyrne121 wrote:
    You wouldn't need to technically inform the bank if you go for a mortgage with someone else

Withholding information from a bank that has a material effect on a mortgage you have with them is not a good idea tbh.

Advertisement