Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what does the landlord cover

Options
  • 13-09-2016 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

hi
    moving to a rented house soon once we sell our house and while we look for another. we are just looking into what stuff the landlord covers. do they usually cover the house insurance and then we would cover the contents?? and i'm assuming they pay the local property tax too??
    thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

bungaro79 wrote: »
    hi
    moving to a rented house soon once we sell our house and while we look for another. we are just looking into what stuff the landlord covers. do they usually cover the house insurance and then we would cover the contents?? and i'm assuming they pay the local property tax too??
    thanks!

LL will cover Property Tax and Buildings insurance.
    You need personal contents insurance.

Will it be furnished or unfurnished?
    You may need to provide beds, lockers, sofa, kitchen table and chairs etc
    Utensils, cookware, plates, knives, forks etc all on the tenants head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Would the landlord not insure the contents they own such as kitchen appliances?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Yes. Tenant can only insure what they have an insurable interest in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

But if the tenant breaks them due to misuse/neglect, then the tenant could not expect the LL to claim on their insurance, if the tenant damages them beyond wear and tear, the tenant pays, not the LLs insurance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The appliances could be classed as the kitchen, which is insured as part of the building.
    Either way, they would not be insured against damage etc

I have a nominal amount of contents insurance on my rental to cover such small items that I have provided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

The landlords building insurance will cover the building itself, kitchen bathrooms,mellowing in case of water damage, fire etc. they may also have a small amount of contents insurance if the property is furnished for theft, fire, flooding.

You will need to insure your items. Also you will need to pay for the utilities and bins and tv license.

If you already have furniture I suggest you look for unfurnished. It will save you having to pay for storage and asking the landlord to remove items you don't need which is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

thanks guys, never rented in ireland so its all new to me!

Advertisement