Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New catalytic converter for old almera

• 13-09-2016 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

My 03 Almera failed the NCT on emmissions, so I need to get a new CAT, or scrap a very reliable car.
    The Auto Part guy says the cheapest CAT is €250, but there's no guarantee it'll get me through the NCT.

What should I do? Can anyone recommend a cheap CAT that WILL do the job for me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Get a second hand one from another almera

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

No guarantee that's going to do the job either tough, is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

No, but they arent troublesome on the almera so the odds of a good one are very high and on a car worth almost nothing its the only sensible option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭JakeBell

What engine?

Here's one for the 1.5 for €145 (use code MOT25) at checkout. Shipping is £3.95 to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭JakeBell

If I remember right the regulations for cats changed in March 2001 and for many cars in this period there are pre and post 2001 cats available. Getting a pre 2001 cat is taking a bit of a chance but they are cheaper. I chanced one myself one time and failed the NCT. Just barely but it failed. Had to dig deeper and get the post 2001 cat. No trouble then.

Maybe your mechanic is taking about a pre 2001 cat when he says "there's no guarantee it will get you through the NCT".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

I bought a new one for €260 plus vat. I'll let you know how I get on - test is Saturday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

A bit late now, but a lot of exhaust places will supply a universal cat & will weld/ bolt it in for you, I'm not sure how much it would cost but perhaps less than €250?

Advertisement