Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weird behaviour after walk

• 13-09-2016 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I took Finn for a walk in the park earlier and now he's acting weirdly. He's very restless; barking, bowing, digging at the floor, he kicked all the cushions off the sofa, he's up and down on the floor. He definitely seems to be trying to get my attention. He was a bit like this yesterday too and I just thought he hadn't had enough exercise so I made sure he had a good run today; about an hour off-lead, and he took himself off after into a wooded bit in the park for a few minutes too.

His inner thighs look quite pink, I'm wondering could it be a nettle rash. What do you think, and do you know anything that might soothe it a bit. I don't have any calamine or anything in the house.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Harvest mites perhaps? If you've any apple cider vinegar in the house, make a solution of 1 part acv to 4 parts warm water, and sponge him down with it. Hopefully it'll have calmed down by the morning, but if not, you know yourself, give the vet a shout.
    I'm also wondering if there might be a bitch in heat nearby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I do have some cider vinegar, so I'll try that. There's a fair chance that there's a bitch in heat around, but he's not interested in going outside at all, and he's neutered since a young age, as far as I know.

He seems to have gotten over it and is flaked out on the sofa now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

it will be interesting to see if he has that reaction a third time?
    Im always a bit worried when one of mine behave oddly after a walk - I worry that we overdid it, or over stretched something. With my old dogs, it was a case of over doing it, with the young dog, hes had a knee replaced, and there seems to be a weakness in his other leg :( Always something

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ghetofarmulous

Just saw this. My friend had two cocker spaniels. When we took them to the fields that contained nettles they would be hyper crazy doing everything you said. Digging in the carpet like mad. then sitting still and suddenly running about.

My friend said he has kept dogs for 40 years and they all do this when their paws are stung. But always warned to check for torns and not to ignore in case there is something more sinister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

He was fine the next morning. Well, he has a rash on his inner thighs that looks like pimples but it doesn't seem to bother him at all so I do think he ran through a patch of nettles/thistles/briars when I couldn't see him. We've walked somewhere different with no irritants since then and had no repeat of the weird hyperness and digging.

I'm just not used to such a thinly furred dog, I suppose. The terriers I had previously had could have run through a barbed wire fence and barely have felt it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement