Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you deal with annoying group of kids/teenagers causing a bit of nuisance?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

JupiterKid wrote: »
    In the apartment complex where I live things are generally orderly and quiet but there are some young kids who play football out the back of my apartment in the common lawn and yesterday they kicked the ball against my bedroom window a couple of times. Hope it doesn't repeat itself!

Cant win, if you dont nip it in the bud early it could go on - if they do and you pull them up on it you risk they will do it more for reaction if they are really bored might escalate further

If you still had garda patrolling the streets these days moving them on, when it looks like they are being a public nuisance its out of your hand and they are less likely to mess with the authorities. The Garda (if interested these days) wont do anything until a proper complaint (and proper evidence) is submitted to them ... and then once you have done that and the offender(s) find out that you grassed on them then you could be a target then - cant blame the Gards though they have had all their hours cut back I suppose and havent got time to patrol estates/villages/towns like the used to .

When the teenagers were sitting around the outside where I live, we painted the walls with the jeys fluid. Smell kept them and us away

There is actually a very specific law against dogs barking, but it's a nice effort all the same.

I dont think its enforced - we have a couple of Dogs across the road left out all day why people go to work and most days they bark non stop, so i suppose they are barking for a reason - maybe hungry, maybe need stimulation/walking/human interaction or maybe too hot when its summer and too cold when its winter - but anyway on looking up as long as dogs outside have a bowl of water and have some kind of shelter thats met the requirements and nothing can be done - i think i asked a dog welfare person about it once and she said same thing, as long as got water and shelter thats enough. Thats why I suppose on loads of estates these days on estates you hear dogs barking non stop outside whilst the owners at work

So the teens ignore the naughty dog that barks all the time, to instead wind up his dog that never barks, except all the time. I call bull**** Train your dog.

Assumptions :rolleyes:

My priority would be to stop the pain, which would stop it barking. The dog isn't in pain. The dog is reacting to noise. Train your dog not to react to people walking past your house.

dont you see thats the 'pain' - pain in the rear kids that are noisy and wind up the dogs because , I dunno, I think they think its funny.... - might not think its so funny if i let back door open 'accidentally' and let the dogs at em ... oh but then I (my dogs) will be in the wrong then ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

I'd shoot the *****, I'd just imagine them in Mayo jerseys.......

I havent read the other suggestions so Im sorry if Im repeating what others have said.

Teenagers are teenagers,,they can be a pain in the ass but they can also be great fun. Would you ask them if they would like to meet your dogs? Or maybe if you know what time they come around you could take the dogs out for a walk and introduce them. Once they know the dogs and they are familiar to them they will be less likely to upset them. You know you catch more flies with honey...If you go out all guns blazing..they will make it their mission to piss you off....But if you treat them with respect they will do the same....(hopefully )

might try it one evening, see how it goes - you might be right, it might work - if my dogs like them they will lick their fingers and their face ..... if they feel threatened though .... ;)

I'm not anti dog. I love dogs. I'm just anti ****head owners who can't be bothered to train their dogs and think noise only works one way.

OP. Train your dog.

just wondering are you dog owner?

If so , your dog is properly trained ?

Not getting at you just asking out of curiosity because you seem to be well up on this subject of training dogs not to bark

His dogs don't bark at people until they bark at people! :eek:

Simple solution: control the dogs, problem goes away

problem does not go away - children/teenagers still will continue to congregate in numbers and loiter and walking up and down outside house making noise still - dogs or no dogs - because they are bored / got nothing to do or cant go home or whatever

so got any solution for that?

EICVD wrote: »
    I'd shoot the *****, I'd just imagine them in Mayo jerseys.......

well ,, hoodies -

you pin 'em down - I'll get me gun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Play ****e music really loud outside your house.

Blast them with..... Nathan Carter ; )

Yeah, Wagon Wheel on repeat.

No harm will come to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Andy, if you can't be bothered to train them not to bark (although it's probably too late now anyway), why can you not just bring them inside.
    My eleven y/o setter lab cross was trained not to bark outside as a puppy. Some of my neighbours have admitted that you wouldn't know she was there. My daughters 1y/o boxer pointer cross is the same all be it still a bit of a work in progress. It takes time and effort. I agree teenagers can be a pain in the butt but there is a greater responsibility on you to keep your dogs quiet while outdoors. If your dogs have caught your attention by barking you can be damn sure your neighbours are pulling their hair out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There is a real danger leaving dogs in a front garden. If a child puts its hand over or through the fence & gets bitten you will struggle to keep the dog.

I have two dogs. I am at work all day & my dogs are secure in the house. They don't make a sound. But before I go to work I give them a good, off lead, walk

Train the dogs, walk them twice a day & keep them indoors.

emeldc wrote: »
    Andy, if you can't be bothered to train them not to bark (although it's probably too late now anyway), why can you not just bring them inside.
    My eleven y/o setter lab cross was trained not to bark outside as a puppy. Some of my neighbours have admitted that you wouldn't know she was there. My daughters 1y/o boxer pointer cross is the same all be it still a bit of a work in progress. It takes time and effort. I agree teenagers can be a pain in the butt but there is a greater responsibility on you to keep your dogs quiet while outdoors. If your dogs have caught your attention by barking you can be damn sure your neighbours are pulling their hair out.

Erm all well and good but you seem to have not read the bit where i said the dogs are inside , we would not leave them outside to bark and never do because we are considerate about the neighbours. The window is open though because of the warm weather and they could hear the teenagers outside through the window muppeting about!

Love it when people come on here thinking it's our dogs to blame without reading the whole thread and thinking it's more of an issue that our dogs barking rather than the fact of gang of kids loitering outside house being a nuisance and not moving on. You have it happen to you and see how long you put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

aint much meat on them....

I could serve them up with some fadda beans fffffffffhhhhhhhh.....
    Fava beans, usually known as broad beans in this part of the world. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Erm all well and good but you seem to have not read the bit where i said the dogs are inside , we would not leave them outside to bark and never do because we are considerate about the neighbours. The window is open though because of the warm weather and they could hear the teenagers outside through the window muppeting about!

Love it when people come on here thinking it's our dogs to blame without reading the whole thread and thinking it's more of an issue that our dogs barking rather than the fact of gang of kids loitering outside house being a nuisance and not moving on. You have it happen to you and see how long you put up with it.

You're right Andy, I missed it. Apologies. What post is it in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Find out where they live and go make a nuscience out of yourself outside their homes whilst they try sleep.

emeldc wrote: »
    You're right Andy, I missed it. Apologies. What post is it in?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101041959&postcount=78

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I dont think its enforced - we have a couple of Dogs across the road left out all day why people go to work and most days they bark non stop, so i suppose they are barking for a reason - maybe hungry, maybe need stimulation/walking/human interaction or maybe too hot when its summer and too cold when its winter - but anyway on looking up as long as dogs outside have a bowl of water and have some kind of shelter thats met the requirements and nothing can be done - i think i asked a dog welfare person about it once and she said same thing, as long as got water and shelter thats enough. Thats why I suppose on loads of estates these days on estates you hear dogs barking non stop outside whilst the owners at work

Doesn't matter if the dogs have cavier and a jacuzzi filled with Evian. If they're barking to the point where it causes a nuisance, the owner has committed an offence under section 25 of the control of dogs act. People don't tend to make the complaint though, because you have to write to the owner, giving your name and state that you intend to report them before the council can do anything

Advertisement