Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric heated wing mirror unit smashed - Help needed!

• 13-09-2016 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I smashed another car's wing mirror while driving on a narrow road. Definitely I was full responsible as the other car was parking by the road side. I am truly sorry for that.

Now the guy sent the car to the garage to replace the wing mirror. Any idea roughly how much will it cost for the job including mirror unit and labour?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

What type of car is it?

You wound't be wondering about that if you lived anywhere else in Europe, as insurance would cover it.
    In Ireland though, premium price hike after even small claim, forces people to pay out of their own pocket for small damages like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I smashed another car's wing mirror while driving on a narrow road. Definitely I was full responsible as the other car was parking by the road side. I am truly sorry for that.

Now the guy sent the car to the garage to replace the wing mirror. Any idea roughly how much will it cost for the job including mirror unit and labour?
    Cost from 20 euro for a second hand setup on a 20 year old micra to about 8k on a new ferrari.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

mickdw wrote: »
    Cost from 20 euro for a second hand setup on a 20 year old micra to about 8k on a new ferrari.

Split the difference. In or around four grand, OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I got a second hand heated mirror off ebay for my Mondeo, for about 70 euro.

Fitted it myself was easy enough.

Car owner likely went to a main dealer for a new one. Main dealers don't buy off eBay...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you damage someone else's property you don't get to choose how or where it's repaired.

just the glass or the housing?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭shawnxxiong

CiniO wrote: »
    What type of car is it?

You wound't be wondering about that if you lived anywhere else in Europe, as insurance would cover it.
    In Ireland though, premium price hike after even small claim, forces people to pay out of their own pocket for small damages like that.
    Yea, not gonna use insurance, they are ridiculous. It's a 06 Skoda.

just the glass or the housing?

The whole unit was smashed into pieces, nasty.....

Del2005 wrote: »

If you damage someone else's property you don't get to choose how or where it's repaired.
    True, the guy now charge me 450 euro. Not sure it's reasonable, but seems too expansive for me.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »

Let's say 06 Skoda, not sure about the model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

Bought a genuine one for an 07 golf a while back. Electric, heated with indicator. Had to get the casing sprayed to match the car. Fitted it myself. Cost about the 350 mark.

ptogher14 wrote: »
    Bought a genuine one for an 07 golf a while back. Electric, heated with indicator. Had to get the casing sprayed to match the car. Fitted it myself. Cost about the 350 mark.
    If that's the case, i think 450 euro should be fair considering the guy might took it to the dealer or garage. Lesson learned. Careful driving, especially on the narrow road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

I remember years ago on a narrow country road I met a Citroen Grand Pic-my-asso and took the mirror clean off with my 406. The result was the mirror was about 110 (it was a big bastard of a mirror) and a small scuff on my mirror

I remember years ago on a narrow country road I met a Citroen Grand Pic-my-asso and took the mirror clean off with my 406. The result was the mirror was about 110 (it was a big bastard of a mirror) and a small scuff on my mirror
    Did you sent it to dealer to fix? Or DIY?

True, the guy now charge me 450 euro. Not sure it's reasonable, but seems too expansive for me.

Not at all. I was in a similar situation to the guy you hit. Glass, casing, motor unit and paint matching came to around that figure from a main dealer.

endacl wrote: »
    Not at all. I was in a similar situation to the guy you hit. Glass, casing, motor unit and paint matching came to around that figure from a main dealer.
    Ok, I guess I will be more than happy to compensate it. It's the first time I got into this situation, bit shocked when heared the figure, never thought could be that high.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Had to replace an entire motorised heated mirror unit on a Volvo V40- bought the parts through the dealership (Koping) and installed it myself. Total cost was 350 Euro (+ VAT)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AranLamb

Why is this site full of useless irrelevant answers.

My advice would be search online for the part that will give you a start.

You could offer to provide the parts to the garage, this will allow you to get a second hand part which will be cheaper.

There are a couple of factors that will make the price vary for example

Will the new mirror need to be painted.

Will it be new or second hand part.

Will it be from main dealer or a spurious part if new.

However look its not the biggest job in the world, labour should be no more then a hour, one cover (Hopefully) 4 bolts and a plug.

So try not over stress it, but as said if you have\had the opportunity to supply the part it could save you some mula

AranLamb wrote: »
    Why is this site full of useless irrelevant answers.

My advice would be search online for the part that will give you a start.

You could offer to provide the parts to the garage, this will allow you to get a second hand part which will be cheaper.

There are a couple of factors that will make the price vary for example

Will the new mirror need to be painted.

Will it be new or second hand part.

Will it be from main dealer or a spurious part if new.

However look its not the biggest job in the world, labour should be no more then a hour, one cover (Hopefully) 4 bolts and a plug.

So try not over stress it, but as said if you have\had the opportunity to supply the part it could save you some mula
    Only if the owner is happy to have the part supplied. Is happy to wait to have the part supplied, etc.

In my case, for example, I wanted my wing mirror replaced as quickly as possible. I couldn't be arsed with waiting around for a part to be sourced and delivered. Why should I? Main dealer had it in stock. I still had to do without the car for half a day while the work was being done.

I don't get the notion that the person who's car is damaged is in some way obliged to allow a load of slack to minimise the cost to the person who did the damage. Fair enough, if they're happy to, but that's a favour, not an obligation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Should of done what alot of people do OP on them narrow roads,
    You hit a mirror, well then you hit the gas and floor it haha

Can't even count on 1 hand how many mirrors I see hanging every week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

I busted a mirror and housing myself on an underground car park pillar, '11 Scirocco. Was about €350 to replace it. I was sick.

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Should of done what alot of people do OP on them narrow roads,
    You hit a mirror, well then you hit the gas and floor it haha

Can't even count on 1 hand how many mirrors I see hanging every week
    In fairness to the OP, I do admire him for owning up.

The people you describe are cnuts.

Steve wrote: »
    I busted a mirror and housing myself on an underground car park pillar, '11 Scirocco. Was about €350 to replace it. I was sick.

Yea, I never thought could be that expensive

Advertisement